Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2012 2:28:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33]
So I won, in a raffle, a certificate for Target Focus Training "Inner Circle" 17-DVD set, among several other items as part of the certificate.  I have no idea what it is other than this package sells on his web site for over $1300.  Is this thing any good?  Any value to it?  Never been a fan of training in front of the TV.

Any insight is welcome.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
there should be some youtube footage out there.  IIRC, Larkin was originally part of the SCARS program.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine got the series and insisted I had to watch some of it.  Largely warmed over Kung-Fu techniques with Tim Larkin waxing poetic about "finishing" your attacker off after you have defeated him and 'Then walk away."  I would give it a big miss and go take some MMA, Judo, or BJJ classes if I were a total newbie looking to learn some viable skills.

Hey if it is free though you can always put it on ebay ebay see what you can get.
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
there should be some youtube footage out there.  IIRC, Larkin was originally part of the SCARS program.

Larkin was part of the original SCARS program, until he parted ways with Peterson.

Not a program for beginners, but if you're experienced in h2h, it's a great addition as the key thing is the mindest behind it.

If you decide to sell, send me an IM
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#4]
It's crapola!

Avoid it like the plague!

To save myself some typing, please read the following threads regarding this style-

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1321014_M_A__Expert_Banned_From_UK___He_Teaches_Extreme_and_Violent_Self_Defense_That_is_Unwelcome_Here_.html&page=2#i33773924

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_17/231526_I_m_rethinking_my_weapon_disarms___Do_you_guys_have_any_input_.html

Seriously, please read these posts. It's garbage. It might not get you 'killed', but it will definitely get your ass kicked.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The TFT stuff that I've seen is heavily dependent upon unrealistic "combos" such as:
Hit the guy *here* and he's going to automatically do *this* so you should be in perfect position to hit him *here* which will of course break *this important bone* at which point you can walk away and look cool.

Maybe an oversimplification - I prefer Blauer SPEAR system.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 1:40:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MrRezister:
The TFT stuff that I've seen is heavily dependent upon unrealistic "combos" such as:
Hit the guy *here* and he's going to automatically do *this* so you should be in perfect position to hit him *here* which will of course break *this important bone* at which point you can walk away and look cool.

Yeah, and the video is hilarious.

He does the whole "break the ____ and just walk away", just like fucking Rex Kwon Do in Napoleon Dynamite!

Totally lame. Some guy who is a midget with sleeve tattoos, and another guy who likes like some skinny IT dept guy.
I'll bet neither guy has ever done any of it, either.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 2:07:13 AM EDT
[#7]
See the retar... I mean the "master" at work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Ot6d8CMDI
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MrRezister:

I have no experience with this particular system, but if what you say is correct, it is pure BS. Training with resisting opponents really opens your eyes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#9]
BS, nice in theory but real life is not like that. Just look at the video above, why hit towards a natural pivot point when you can give to plam strikes to the head that will really jar the body's computer rather than just spin him around.

I had one of his VHS tapes and it was all dependent on a set way of the attacker moving. What is the attacker steps back from the groin kick, your follow up is gone.What if the attacker pivots taking the force out of your kick then blocks your first forearm and then punches you? Now he is working on your reaction to getting hit in the face!

I find that most of these so called "combat" styles are just traditional arts with window dressing. They want to call it Bob's Special Forces Killing Art but Bob doesn't want to admit that it is nothing more than the White Crane kungfu he learned after 2 years in class which he left to become the Grand Master of his "own" style.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont know why people are so vehemently against TFT and SCARS.  The Navy Seals did use SCARS for a while.  I think they probably know a good system when they see it.  Not many other systems can claim that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By notanoperator:
I dont know why people are so vehemently against TFT and SCARS.  The Navy Seals did use SCARS for a while.  I think they probably know a good system when they see it.  Not many other systems can claim that.
View Quote

See the youtube video I posted months ago.  It is warmed over kung fu packaged with incredibly bad self defense advice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Aikibiker:

See the youtube video I posted months ago.  It is warmed over kung fu packaged with incredibly bad self defense advice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aikibiker:
Originally Posted By notanoperator:

The other thing is assuming Navy SEALs will select the best system. The history of military unarmed combat training over the last 70 years shows that that isn't true.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top