Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2019 12:09:03 PM EDT
I live in Pittsburgh, PA
I am looking for a legit Pistol 1 class to attend.
All the reputable classes I have seen are all on the West Coast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Advanced Training Group in Lisbon Ohio.  Owned by 20 year DEVGru operator.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Fire institute has classes nothing on the schedule right now though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a guy named Matt Olinchak near Philly who conducts classes or would be able to point you to a class.

Find him on facebook or send an email:  [email protected]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:14:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: everready73] [#4]
I am about 2 hrs east of Pit and there are not many options in the area.  I am looking into a class with Green Opps out of Northern Virginia later this year.

Mike Green is former Special Ops and they are a good company from what i have researched.  he is on a lot of the Primary and Secondary podcasts.  I have heard Paramount Tactical and a few other down in that area are good too.

There is an AAR of one of their classes in the review section of the Training forum

The other option is to catch a class in OH/PA with a traveling instructor.  I have seen some good ones come through before.  Would love to train with Steve Fischer and Aaron Cowan someday
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#6]
i am considering taking one of the classes at Keystone Shooting Center. For handgun, they have Basic Handgun, Women's Handgun, Low Light Tactical, and Defensive Handgun to name a few. i think they do mostly Friday nights and Weekend mornings. its in the Cranberry/Mars area just off of Turnpike.

https://www.keystoneshootingcenter.com/firearms-training-classes.php

Ben
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Steve Fischer of Sentinel Concepts throws a lot of classes in Alliance, OH. Thats not too far from you
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
hoping to have more input on the Keystone Shooting Center's Defensive Handgun class after 10AM tomorrow. this will be my first training class but i hope it starts a continual learning experience.

Ben
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#9]
So i did take this class on Saturday and full disclosure this was my first training class EVER. My class was taught by a gentleman from the North Hills Police Department and a firearms instructor with the military and police. the first hour of the class was instructional consisting of his background, basic firearm use instruction (most will know this), and some demonstration of what we will actually utilize on the range during live fire. My class was small, 4 people, so we got some additional shooting time because there weren't a lot of questions during the instruction.

During the live fire we started empty to practice the draw and presentation. then transitioned to live fire from draw in varying volleys of 1 to 5 shots. they also incorporate dummy rounds and have a range partner load your mag with multiple live and 1 dummy round to work yourself through tap, rack, go and malfunction drills.  the furthest they had targets out was 3-5 yards. there is room for comfort here because the instructor allows people to move the targets back based on their groupings.

while they don't currently offer a class that builds on this content, they are in the process of creating one. However, they do offer a couple other handgun training including low light and a more entry level intro to handgun

my biggest take away from the class is now that i have taken this class i am "qualified" to draw from the holster at their range. but i am also going to be doing much more dry fire practice at home to gain confidence and technique from the draw. This is something that i am unable to do at my home range in Murrysville (Crowfoot) along with double taps or "rapid fire" drills.

Hope this helps some folks. Oh class on Saturday is at 8am before it opens to the public. Doors open at roughly 7:30 so you may have to chill in the parking lot for a bit if you're an early bird.

Ben
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Take a look into Jay Cunningham and Protective Shooting Concepts.

Also take a look into 360 performs run by Ashton Ray.

Good dudes who run a good class, and they operate out of Beaver Valley, PA primarily IIRC
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out Inpax.  Newer facility in pittsburgh opened a few months back. Offer all kinds of training
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#12]
There's 3 instructors that I have experience with, 2 I've personally trained with.

First is Jay Cunningham at PSC
Protective Shooting Concepts
I've taken 2 classes with Jay.  Would definitely recommend and will train with more in the future.

Second is Onsight Firearms Training
Onsight Firearms Training
I recently took a private lesson with Ben.  Another great guy and instructor and will train with more in the future.  He also bring in bigger name instructors like Steve Fischer and Pat Mac to PMSC.

Third is Ash Ray at 360 Performance
360 Performance Shooting
I've never formally trained with Ash but I've attended classes where he was an assistant instructor.  Another instructor I'll train with when I can.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I second the recommendation of 360 Performance.  Ashton is good people.

I have no first hand experience with Jay Cunningham, but I know others that do, and they speak well of him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top