Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2018 8:56:38 AM EDT
Trying to price and put together a IFAK list to present to my chief to see if I can get the department to pay for some blow out kits for us. I'm looking at TQ's and seems like the CAT is the one that's considered best but what about the RATS? And if the CAT is in fact the one to get...are any of the alternative brands worth looking at, since most are about half the price as the one made by North American Rescue. I figure that the price difference won't make or break whether the department will buy us the kits...but in case they won't...and I have to buy my own...then that price difference does make a bit of difference.

RATS
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KINMKGU?aaxitk=yr3H7uQaeA8dpNMb.RE-xQ&pd_rd_i=B01KINMKGU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3534726502&pd_rd_wg=pT4eE&pf_rd_r=RPSTNEXNXNTF42BVKV3S&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=EVhKV&pf_rd_i=cat+tourniquet&pd_rd_r=a5d9ed15-c374-4d5f-90bc-b1ec34cf4bbd&hsa_cr_id=8975961750901

CAT
https://www.amazon.com/North-American-Rescue-Military-Issue/dp/B003EGD8YC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524056077&sr=8-4&keywords=cat+tourniquet

Cheaper CAT
https://www.amazon.com/Recon-Medical-BLK-1PAK-FBA-Tourniquet-Pre-Hospital/dp/B01ETMVQOI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1524056077&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=cat+tourniquet&psc=1
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:27:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: branflake12] [#1]
I took a bleeding control class and my stepfather was a 23 year EMT. RATS TQ's are much harder to use correctly and increase the risk of nerve damage. The class I took demonstrated how, after I asked exactly this question and provided the RATS i brought with me to ask this question. If your wrap isnt 100% evenly tight on all the loops around, one is tightest and the RATS is narrow enough to cause tissue and nerve damage.

Others may refute me with reasons and I wont take it personally, but hearing it from more than one trusted source, all of my TQs in all kits are now CATs. They are bigger and tend to get frayed over time, but thats what I did.

Edit: ONLY buy north american rescue brand AND from amazon directly, not any 3rd party sellers. Turns out, counterfeit NAR brand TQs actually exist in the market, and at least one EMT at the class had seen the buckle break when used.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:59:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Everythingisawesome] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By branflake12:
I took a bleeding control class and my stepfather was a 23 year EMT. RATS TQ's are much harder to use correctly and increase the risk of nerve damage. The class I took demonstrated how, after I asked exactly this question and provided the RATS i brought with me to ask this question. If your wrap isnt 100% evenly tight on all the loops around, one is tightest and the RATS is narrow enough to cause tissue and nerve damage.

Others may refute me with reasons and I wont take it personally, but hearing it from more than one trusted source, all of my TQs in all kits are now CATs. They are bigger and tend to get frayed over time, but thats what I did.

Edit: ONLY buy north american rescue brand AND from amazon directly, not any 3rd party sellers. Turns out, counterfeit NAR brand TQs actually exist in the market, and at least one EMT at the class had seen the buckle break when used.
View Quote
Amazon has shipped me a counterfit CAT before, not from a third party seller.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Only trained on a CAT...both in a Bleeding Control class and Violence in Courtroom Tactics class.
Newer CAT’s uses stiffer plastic, Gen 7 IIRC.

A CAT when “loaded” correctly is an easy to use one hand TQ. I wear it primarily as self. We have 10 Bleeding Control Kits on each floor of our courthouse, all have a CAT in each kit.

Most of our patrol guys either wear a CAT on their belt or use either an ankle or vest mount IFAK. The ankle and vest kits use a RAT or SWAT because they’re more compact.

That’s all I got.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:41:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChrisLe] [#4]
The Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care only recommends  the CAT (Combat Application Tourniquet) and the SOFTT (SOF Tactical Tourniquet). My personal preference is the CAT as its tried, true and proven effective...

WARNING:
There are tons of Counterfeit CAT tourniquets out there, even on Amazon. Only buy from reputable sources!
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Everythingisawesome:

Amazon has shipped me a counterfit CAT before, not from a third party seller.
View Quote
Wow, is there a guide or easy way to verify? I've got some kits to inspect if this is the case.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By branflake12:

Wow, is there a guide or easy way to verify? I've got some kits to inspect if this is the case.
View Quote
https://www.thecounterfeitreport.com/product/595/Combat-Application-Tourniquets-%28CAT%29.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:48:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#8]
Medical supplies are not where I go deal hunting, direct from the manufacturer or somewhere like Rescue Essentials is the only way to go. I mean this in the kindest way possible but is saving $20 worth literally risking your life? If you’re counting on a counterfeit piece of equipment to save your life or that of your partner and it fails that’ll be the most expensive $20 you ever saved. There’s absolutely no justification for buying cheap imitations for life safety equipment. Buy legit and buy training TQs as well. My people TQs are not for training and my training TQs are not for people.

The best feature of the RATS is that it’s small, lightweight, and compact so it doesn’t take up much room in the trash can.

I prefer the SOFTT-W for application on others and the CAT for self application. The SOFTT-W is handy because you can do makeshift junctional tourniquets or stabilize a pelvis with them as well, if that’s not a concern for you then there’s not much reason to go anything but CAT.

ETA: Also keep in mine the mechanics of applying any of the wrap type TQs, if you have an injured limb manipulation of the injured extremity whilst wrapping a TQ around the limb is not going to be a ton of fun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#9]
The SOFT-W is also a good choice.

IMO, the CAT and SOF-T are the way to go for self aid.

If you anticipate the need to use a TQ on kids and small adults, then you should go with a SWAT-T or RAT.

Not a bad idea to have one CAT/SOF-T and one SWAT-T/RAT.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:24:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#10]
SOF and/or SOF-W
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I've talked with a few people about this same topic, the only real benefit of the Rats TQ is that it will tighten on a very small area like a child's arm, leg or even on an animal, (think of a police K9 being shot). You can also wrap around numerous times. The CAT TQ is widely selected as a much better TQ but the drawback is that it will only go so small before its useless.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By King_Mud:
Medical supplies are not where I go deal hunting, direct from the manufacturer or somewhere like Rescue Essentials is the only way to go. I mean this in the kindest way possible but is saving $20 worth literally risking your life? If you’re counting on a counterfeit piece of equipment to save your life or that of your partner and it fails that’ll be the most expensive $20 you ever saved. There’s absolutely no justification for buying cheap imitations for life safety equipment. Buy legit and buy training TQs as well. My people TQs are not for training and my training TQs are not for people.

The best feature of the RATS is that it’s small, lightweight, and compact so it doesn’t take up much room in the trash can.

I prefer the SOFTT-W for application on others and the CAT for self application. The SOFTT-W is handy because you can do makeshift junctional tourniquets or stabilize a pelvis with them as well, if that’s not a concern for you then there’s not much reason to go anything but CAT.

ETA: Also keep in mine the mechanics of applying any of the wrap type TQs, if you have an injured limb manipulation of the injured extremity whilst wrapping a TQ around the limb is not going to be a ton of fun.
View Quote
I guess it's not so much looking for bargain quality stuff but the best price on stuff that's good. That's why I asked...figured if the RATS was as good as the CAT and at half the price...then win. But after now seeing that the CAT is superior in most situations and can be had for around $22 direct from the company...it's not as big a hit as paying the full $30 for one from another vendor. I did type up a request and submitted it last night to my chief asking for consideration in purchasing a kit that includes the CAT TQ, chest seals, combat gauze, and OLAES bandage with a rip away pouch that we can attach to our rifle plate carriers...although I intend to purchase and start wearing an exterior soft armor carrier as soon as the company I want to order from has them available, so I'll have my kit attached to that vest setup. I also requested for training for tactical first aid. We have an outfit in our area that does a lot of tactical training for LE including first aid. I have some medical training as an EMT and more recently as a respiratory therapist so I'm pretty familiar with the basics but my training and knowledge won't help me so much if I'm the one down... So fingers crossed both are approved.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly...we could probably get our local EMS company to teach us. One of the medics could certainly show us proper ways to pack wounds, stop bleeding, apply TQ, ect. The class I requested takes is steps beyond to teach doing all this under fire, from cover, downed officer retrieval, ect.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:58:33 AM EDT
[#16]
This is from a National Institute of Health study that was done:
CONCLUSION: All three tactical tourniquets showed substantial capacity for hemorrhage control. However, the two new tourniquet models (RATS and TMT) did not offer any improvement over the C-A-T, which is currently issued to military services. Indeed, one of the new models, the RATS, was inferior to the C-A-T in terms of speed of application and simulated loss of blood. Opportunities were detected for refinements in design of the two new tourniquets that may offer future improvements in their performance.

As a member of Special Operations Medical Association and having sat in on Committee on Tactical Emergency Casualty Care, the testing and peer review process for a device to be recommended are intense to say the least. Currently the only tourniquets that are recommended are the CAT and the SOFT-W. Why reinvent the wheel.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry a CAT personally and at work. If you’re using this in a kit and don’t need ultimate concealability I’d stick with a legit CAT. If you want something super slim and light the RATS might be a good option, although I don’t think they’ve been proven as effective. It still beats not having one at all! This is my own opinion and not legal/medical advice!
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#18]
One more vote for the CAT. The RATS requires too much dexterity. I did just recently acquire a STAT tourniquet. It looks like a big zip tie. Haven’t personally tested it, but it seems interesting.  But the CAT is what I would bet my life on.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Both!

I carry both of them. In training I have found RAT to be easier on children or smaller framed adults and CAT for military age/size persons. I carry both in my IFAKs and med bag as well as EDCing a RAT.

I believe the CAT is a superior TQ for the INTENDED audience, adults. I find the RAT easier to everyday carry off duty (see John Lovell of Warrior Poet Society's youtube video on the matter RAT EDC).

On duty I have a CAT on the front of my outer carrier and a RAT in my IFAK and cargo pocket.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
as said above avoid the rats. the wider the media the better the control and the more comfortable it will be. comfort is relative as a properly applied TQ will not be an enjoyable experience. you want a device that compresses the vessels and arteries not crushes them. spread out over a larger area means better success and easier management.
View Quote
I agree with this. I have never been a fan of the RATS and I am not sure how it gained TCCC approval. I have alway thought it was a gimmick and I would never recommend a RATS over a CAT, SOFTT or Ranger Rachet TQ. In my opinion, I believe the RATs has potential to do more harm than good. My advice would be to stick with something that has been proven… the CAT TQ.

As a side note… also stay away from those stupid SWAT TQ!
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#22]
LAPG has a sale currently for 15% off the Cats  I believe through tomorrow. (North America Rescue), code "NAR15"
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 5:44:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I carry a RATs because I have a small child.  I ran it past one of our trauma surgeons at work and he said it seemed like a good idea, he had no concerns about nerve damage.  We also tested it with a pulse doppler and it showed full occlusion of the femoral artery.

I carry it for three very good reason.  First, it fits in my pocket (shirt pocket of my uniform, back pocket of my jeans, and the funky "magazine" pocket of my 5.11's). Second, it will work on my son's limbs if God forbid it becomes necessary.  And lastly, the R.A.T.s TQ does not hurt as much when applied as any other TQ I have tried. The CAT is great, but if you are putting it on right, it is painful.  That may not seem like such a big concern, but on a child or an adult that has lost enough blood to have an altered level of consciousness they could fight the TQ and dislodge it if you are not watching them closely (like if you are managing other patients).

The RATs has a few down sides, you can fuck up when applying it if your first wrap isn't tight enough and it can be slightly slower then a CAT, but overall for MY situation the RATs is superior. I do however have multiple CATs in all my trauma kits, the RATs is my everyday carry TQ.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#25]
There was a study done where it showed a TQ should be about an inch wide IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ChrisLe:
The Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care only recommends  the CAT (Combat Application Tourniquet) and the SOFTT (SOF Tactical Tourniquet). My personal preference is the CAT as its tried, true and proven effective...

WARNING:
There are tons of Counterfeit CAT tourniquets out there, even on Amazon. Only buy from reputable sources!
View Quote
QFT. Came to post this. This was covered pretty heavily in my TCCC certification class.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#27]
The TCCC class I went to put it this way.

If you will actually carry the RATS since it is more compact, its better than the CAT you leave in the parking lot or house because its inconvenient to carry.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:

If you will actually carry the RATS since it is more compact, its better than the CAT you leave in the parking lot or house because its inconvenient to carry.
View Quote
You can flat fold a SOFTT-W and get it surprisingly compact, if I was doing an EDC TQ on me I’d probably go that way.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#29]
You can flat fold a SOFTT-W and get it surprisingly compact, if I was doing an EDC TQ on me I’d probably go that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Gonna have check those out. The ones I played with in the class didn't impress me much.
My rats
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:10:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#30]
Gonna have check those out. The ones I played with in the class didn't impress me much.
My rats
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221518/Screenshot_20180706-162351_Gallery-599381.JPG
View All Quotes

My rats
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221518/Screenshot_20180706-162351_Gallery-599381.JPG
@louisianarebel

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Just folded a training TQ real quick so it’s not perfect but you get the idea. If I refolded it to get more of the strap out from under the buckle area it would thin out a bit more. Even as is it’s much thinner than most wallets people lug around and I’d much, much, much, much rather have it than a RATS.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#31]

@louisianarebel

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172095/53282AA1-7C73-43B1-8768-7F6285C6E1AC-599471.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172095/269AD2B8-F2EF-4B33-89DD-BB834A045971-599472.JPG

Just folded a training TQ real quick so it’s not perfect but you get the idea. If I refolded it to get more of the strap out from under the buckle area it would thin out a bit more. Even as is it’s much thinner than most wallets people lug around and I’d much, much, much, much rather have it than a RATS.
View Quote
Ordered one. Gonna try it out. I have CATs everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I like the SOFT-W in a Flatpack for EDC.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got a CAT and a SWAT-T. Our medical personnel say avoid the RATS. They all have reports out there saying which is better. I prefer the CAT for straight up tourniquets, but the SWAT-T also seems to work well and it has multiple other uses.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
^ This is what I was just taught in the trauma first aid class I just took.

Here's another thought.

My class began with a replay of the audio from the Pulse Nightclub shooting.  The person calling 911 said that there were 15 people sheltering in the restroom; 4 were dead and 2 were bleeding out and needed medical RIGHT NOW!

Of course, we all know that it was over an hour before the police cleared the nightclub for EMS security.

If you are in any way at risk for, or concerned about, a multiple casualty situation, then it will be much easier to carry 3 RATS in a side bag than 3 CATs.

If you are primarily concerned with emergency med first aid for yourself or your family, however, find room to carry the CATs....
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#35]
The CAT AND SOFT-W are the way to go.  The SAM Med XT shows promise and has some good testing. The SWAT T has a place as a backup TQ, for pediatric and K9 use, pressure dressing, and a K9 muzzle.  I would not use the SWAT t as my primary.  I’d avoid the RATS - their sketchy marketing is a big target indicator
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I am a full time Tac Med trainer and police paramedic for a regional team in a major metro area. My thoughts on RAT vs SOFT and CAT.
1. The RAT tourniquet has no peer reviewed research that demonstrate the effectiveness. The CAT and the SOFT have extensive studies in both clinal settings and the field. I can provide these studies if anyone would like. I personally would not trust my life or the life of anyone on my team to the RATS or any other product that has not been researched. I often hear the argument that its "better than nothing". While I can agree to a point so is a .22 snubnosed, but we don't see many people carrying that as their primary weapon system.
2. The Committee on TCCC (CoTCCC) only recommend 3 tourniquets. The SOFT, the CAT and EMT. The CAT and SOF-T are both around $30. The EMT is a pnuematic TQ that workd great but is very bulky and expensive.
3. People are concerned with a pediatric trauma. The CAT has been proven to work on a limb as small as 5cm in circumference. Just to give you a point of reference, that is not much bigger than a US quarter. On any limb smaller than 5 cm a standard pressure dressing will most likely do the job.
4. DO NOT, DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT buy any medical gear off of Amazon or Ebay. They are plagued with counterfeit products. The CAT is distributed by North American Rescue and the SOFT is from Tactical medical solutions. Do not buy from anyone besides them or their authorized distributors.

I am more than willing to help anyone pick out the right gear and point you in the right direction if you need assistance.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:09:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#37]
Regarding pediatric use. I mentioned in my previous comment about how a CAT can work on any limb that is greater than 5cm in circumference. Here is a visual to give you an idea of the size we are talking about.
https://www.facebook.com/techline.trauma/photos/a.1547299592013474/1794312477312183/?type=3&theater
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:58:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bagofcrabs65] [#38]
This is a very simple subject for me.

There is the CAT and then there is everything else.

The CAT has become the standard TQ of use by the military, EMS, and LEO. More people are trained to use the CAT than any other TQ.

For that reason alone, I would get the CAT. If for some reason the TQ needs to be used on you, someone is more likely to know how to use the CAT vs any other option out there.

The only other TQ I would consider possibly having is the SOF-T. That is only because I have years of experience with it. With that being said, I probably wouldn’t carry it today because I am not familiar with the new version of it.

I would recommend buying a CAT from a non amazon source such as North American Rescue or another reputable site.

Yes, it will cost a little more. However, this is a buy once, cry once issue for me. I would rather spend a couple extra dollars knowing I am getting the correct product rather than save a few dollars and possibly have a fake.

Also, buy one extra to practice with.

If you want some free training go to Bleedingcontrol.org and find a class near you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By bagofcrabs65:
This is a very simple subject for me.

There is the CAT and then there is everything else.

The CAT has become the standard TQ of use by the military, EMS, and LEO. More people are trained to use the CAT than any other TQ.

For that reason alone, I would get the CAT. If for some reason the TQ needs to be used on you, someone is more likely to know how to use the CAT vs any other option out there.

The only other TQ I would consider possibly having is the SOF-T. That is only because I have years of experience with it. With that being said, I probably wouldn't carry it today because I am not familiar with the new version of it.

I would recommend buying a CAT from a non amazon source such as North American Rescue or another reputable site.

Yes, it will cost a little more. However, this is a buy once, cry once issue for me. I would rather spend a couple extra dollars knowing I am getting the correct product rather than save a few dollars and possibly have a fake.

Also, buy one extra to practice with.

If you want some free training go to Bleedingcontrol.org and find a class near you.
View Quote
Definitely this. I have been through a few TCCC variants and CLS classes the only one approved for our use is the CAT they work really well and have been proven effective. I would just stress to the OP over and beyond that they are not counterfeit hopefully they have never been used either. From what I have been taught they are single use only IE if they have been used for say practice or something before their working state could be suspect.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 8:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spookfish] [#40]
Originally Posted By steve8140:
I've talked with a few people about this same topic, the only real benefit of the Rats TQ is that it will tighten on a very small area like a child's arm, leg or even on an animal, (think of a police K9 being shot). You can also wrap around numerous times. The CAT TQ is widely selected as a much better TQ but the drawback is that it will only go so small before its useless.
View Quote
Please do some research. This hearsay is why people even buy untested medical products in the first place. The list of approved and recommended TQs for pediatrics does not include the RATS, it does however include the CAT. If you are putting a TQ on a child that won't fit a CAT you're wrong and should've just applied gauze then wrapped with ACE wrap/Coban.

I find it hilarious that people will spend hundreds of dollars on a firearm that they will likely NEVER use for self defense, but want to cheap out on a $30 piece of life saving equipment. Spend a few more dollars and buy a Gen 7 CAT or SOFT-W from NAR or chinookmed.

Anyone that suggests a RATS for anything more than use on K9s is heavily misguided (SWAT-T works just as well on them anyway, and is multi purpose). Do your research. The fact that the company misled customers by claiming that the RATS was CoTCCC certified by making up their own "TCCC" statement should steer you way clear of this TQ. THEY ARE NOT CoTCCC approved. Clearly they are only in it for the money and not to provide effective medical supplies. However, if you want tissue and nerve damage as well as suboptimal arterial occlusion, then go ahead.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ChrisLe:

WARNING:
View Quote
This says it all right here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Spookfish:

Please do some research. This hearsay is why people even buy untested medical products in the first place. The list of approved and recommended TQs for pediatrics does not include the RATS, it does however include the CAT. If you are putting a TQ on a child that won't fit a CAT you're wrong and should've just applied gauze then wrapped with ACE wrap/Coban.

I find it hilarious that people will spend hundreds of dollars on a firearm that they will likely NEVER use for self defense, but want to cheap out on a $30 piece of life saving equipment. Spend a few more dollars and buy a Gen 7 CAT or SOFT-W from NAR or chinookmed.

Anyone that suggests a RATS for anything more than use on K9s is heavily misguided (SWAT-T works just as well on them anyway, and is multi purpose). Do your research. The fact that the company misled customers by claiming that the RATS was CoTCCC certified by making up their own "TCCC" statement should steer you way clear of this TQ. THEY ARE NOT CoTCCC approved. Clearly they are only in it for the money and not to provide effective medical supplies. However, if you want tissue and nerve damage as well as suboptimal arterial occlusion, then go ahead.
View Quote
Correct.  The CAT is effective to a minimal limb circumference of 5", or 1.6" diameter.  This JEMS article lays out good data on pediatric tourniquet use.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm just a civilian, but I've taken a few trauma classes locally, and the instructors (one was a Marine/SWAT officer and one was a local trauma nurse with combat experience) both highly recommended the Recon medical TQs. I have purchased several and given several as gifts, always buying on Amazon as they ship directly from recon medical. I have designated a couple as trainers and they've held up very well. I have never had to actually use one in an emergency situation, but between my hands on training with them and with the professional recommendations I've received, I trust them fully.  Just my 2 cents!
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 2:09:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Parke1:
I'm just a civilian, but I've taken a few trauma classes locally, and the instructors (one was a Marine/SWAT officer and one was a local trauma nurse with combat experience) both highly recommended the Recon medical TQs. I have purchased several and given several as gifts, always buying on Amazon as they ship directly from recon medical. I have designated a couple as trainers and they've held up very well. I have never had to actually use one in an emergency situation, but between my hands on training with them and with the professional recommendations I've received, I trust them fully.  Just my 2 cents!
View Quote
Finger hole seems gimicky.  My question is, why buy the Recon for $15 when the real, tested, proven CAT can be had for about $28?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:00:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#45]
Finger hole seems gimicky.  My question is, why buy the Recon for $15 when the real, tested, proven CAT can be had for about $28?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Parke1:
I bought some for trainers and to play with, they seem alright. My thing is that even if I have 6 TQs at any given time between bag and belt that's less than $100 difference. The cases keep them covered and I only use blue trainers for training so my real TQs last a very long time. That's just not worth bargain hunting IMO.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 2:19:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joemama74] [#46]
We were making our yearly trip to the mall today and noticed a 5.11 store with sale tents outside. Having never actually been to a 5.11 store we stopped, bought some stuff.

They had a whole box of NAR CAT TQ’s on the counter, I grabbed one and added it to my purchase.

When I got home, I noticed they were packaged in a shitty heat shrink wrap. Is that legit? Surely 5.11 carries the real stuff, right?
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#47]
RATS are great for kids. That's about it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
We were making our yearly trip to the mall today and noticed a 5.11 store with sale tents outside. Having never actually been to a 5.11 store we stopped, bought some stuff.

They had a whole box of NAR CAT TQ’s on the counter, I grabbed one and added it to my purchase.

When I got home, I noticed they were packaged in a shitty heat shrink wrap. Is that legit? Surely 5.11 carries the real stuff, right?
View Quote
That's how they come, you're good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By VodkaSlushy:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VodkaSlushy:
Once again, please don't make life-safety equipment decision based upon subjective standards, when contrary data has already been provided.

The CAT is effective to a minimal limb circumference of 5", or 1.6" diameter.  This JEMS article lays out good data on pediatric tourniquet use.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I own a Rats and I won’t throw it away but once I took a course and learned more I went out and bought 8-9 Cat tourniquets
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top