Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2018 12:42:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:18:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#1]
TCCC is really for military personnel.

TECC is for medical personnel working with SWAT or SOT.

LEFR-TCC is for non medical LE

TCCC/TECC are really oriented towards working as part of a unit and there will be a lot of content that’s not relevant for you. LEFR-TCC is a good class that’s a lot more focused on immediate and simple interventions that can be used to stabilize a casualty until medical personnel can take over. The Bleeding Control course can be pretty great too depending on who teaches it.

There will be open enrollment courses sometimes available for any of those but why take something when it’s not going to be relevant? While, for example, knowing the distinction between and interventions employed during Direct Threat Care, Indirect Threat Care, and the Evacuation phase might be helpful I think you could spend your time much more wisely.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_J:
Thanks for the feedback.  My intent was to elevate my current training with a focus on GSW trauma care.  I like to shoot, the family likes to shoot, and I try to take as much firearm training as I can squeeze in each year so the relevance seemed to be worthwhile.  I also was hoping to add some SUT training at some point in the near future, and thought there would be useful over, but I will take your comments to heart.

I did look for Bleeding Control classes, but couldn't find any in my area.  I also checked Dark Angel and Lone Star Medic and neither had anything available in my AO in the forseeable future.  Depending on the cost of some TCCC/TECC/LEFR-TCC training, I wouldn't mind if a decent portion wasn't immediately applicable if I get some CAPCE out of it.

I'll keep reading and looking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By King_Mud:

TCCC/TECC are really oriented towards working as part of a unit and there will be a lot of content that’s not relevant for you. LEFR-TCC is a good class that’s a lot more focused on immediate and simple interventions that can be used to stabilize a casualty until medical personnel can take over. The Bleeding Control course can be pretty great too depending on who teaches it.

There will be open enrollment courses sometimes available for any of those but why take something when it’s not going to be relevant? While, for example, knowing the distinction between and interventions employed during Direct Threat Care, Indirect Threat Care, and the Evacuation phase might be helpful I think you could spend your time much more wisely.
Thanks for the feedback.  My intent was to elevate my current training with a focus on GSW trauma care.  I like to shoot, the family likes to shoot, and I try to take as much firearm training as I can squeeze in each year so the relevance seemed to be worthwhile.  I also was hoping to add some SUT training at some point in the near future, and thought there would be useful over, but I will take your comments to heart.

I did look for Bleeding Control classes, but couldn't find any in my area.  I also checked Dark Angel and Lone Star Medic and neither had anything available in my AO in the forseeable future.  Depending on the cost of some TCCC/TECC/LEFR-TCC training, I wouldn't mind if a decent portion wasn't immediately applicable if I get some CAPCE out of it.

LEFR-TCC, TECC, B-Con, and PHTLS would all be good if that is what you have available. I probably wouldn’t go TCCC because of the amount of information that’s likely not relevant to you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:34:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#5]
I looked at PHTLS, but couldn't tell from the description how much it overlaps with EMR.  From the B-Con info, it seems like PHTLS would cover the entirety of the B-Con curriculum since it then qualifies you to teach B-Con, so PHTLS may be my best choice if I don't take a TECC/LEFR-TCC course.

What I really need in the short term is something to qualify me to teach WFA per the BSA requirements, but fuck me if I can find the training or get the local BSA guy to talk to me about alternatives.  Our troop has 165 boys and >50 volunteers that need regular training and they're having to pay to go outside the troop because I can't find a way to get certified to instruct.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

LEFR-TCC, TECC, B-Con, and PHTLS would all be good if that is what you have available. I probably wouldn’t go TCCC because of the amount of information that’s likely not relevant to you.
I looked at PHTLS, but couldn't tell from the description how much it overlaps with EMR.  From the B-Con info, it seems like PHTLS would cover the entirety of the B-Con curriculum since it then qualifies you to teach B-Con, so PHTLS may be my best choice if I don't take a TECC/LEFR-TCC course.

All  NAEMT  Instructors  are  eligible  and  encouraged  to  teach this  course  in  their  local  communities.  Instructors  for  BCon courses   include   current   NAEMT   instructors,   PHTLS providers, Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) or Tactical Emergency  Casualty  Care  (TECC)  instructors  or  providers, and BCon providers.
What I really need in the short term is something to qualify me to teach WFA per the BSA requirements, but fuck me if I can find the training or get the local BSA guy to talk to me about alternatives.  Our troop has 165 boys and >50 volunteers that need regular training and they're having to pay to go outside the troop because I can't find a way to get certified to instruct.

PHTLS is a continuing education class that covers should cover updated best practices and the results of research and current protocols. I take it regularly and always keep mine up to date. Ours is taught by AirEvac and covers a wide range of trauma care ending with a scenario. Last time it was a boat crash in the lake so we had to rescue the ejected patient, stabilize them, get them to the truck and then get them to the LZ to hand them off.

B-Con is basic bleeding control like TQs and wound packing. LEFR-TCC will be the same but have extra interventions like chest seals, basic airway adjuncts, and more. They’re much more narrowly focused and PHTLS won’t cover them adequately neither will they cover PHTLS.

Get both.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I just took a Med training class based on the principles of the Faster program. It was put on by Buckeye Firearms with instructors from TDI Ohio. It covered tourniquet use, wound packing, airway stability, treatment of sucking chest wounds, and improvised techniques for bleeding treatment. TDI is putting on a medical combative class this fall that is interesting. It’s a bit out of your AO but may be worth the trip.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 7:25:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#9]
@D_J

Yep, it is a similar curriculum to stop the bleed from what I understand. Except all of the stop the bleed courses I see around here are like 2hrs long. Here’s is a link to that class I referred to.

TDI Ohio Medical Combatives

Makes me wish I’d have stuck with my initial career choice. I really enjoyed it and it seems to have reignited my passion and makes me wish I’d stuck with my initial career choice. Too late to go back now....
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#11]
TCCC=Combat
TECC=Emergency

I suppose there are some small, minute differences, but they are both based off the MARCH treatment plan.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#12]
The fact that companies upcharge for "TCCC"/"TECC" is absurd. It's just MARCH-PAWS assessment with the caveat that if there is a threat you eliminate it before beginning treatment/ direct your patient to seek cover and apply TQ/shoot back if no MAR issues.

Find a company that teaches a solid MARCH assessment. Working under NODs seems like a waste of time for the average person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top