Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2016 9:34:41 PM EDT
Just completed a TCCC course at OK Corral Range, Okeechobee FL given by D-Dey Response Group.
Two day course that combined classroom and range time. Great instructors, Top line range and facilities.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
What did you learn in 2 days?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:54:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pro_Patria_431] [#2]
The one I took followed the outline here. https://www.jsomonline.org/TCCC.html

It's been a while. Discussed the need for security and ending the fight during the COF phase. They had an assortment of most every TQ available at the time and discussed the merits or lack thereof of each. We did lots of reps of applying whichever we used for the class. We did the module on wound packing on training dummies with various injuries. The use of hemostatic agents was discussed and was explained as nice to have, but Kerlix goes a long way. Discussed using pressure to control bleeding and also had the major pressure dressings to demo/use. We went over the various chest seals and their use to include improvised methods. We were shown and got to practice NPAs (on dummies). Assessing the casualty was discussed during each module but was pretty simple IE if he has holes here plug it, if he's squirting stuff from here apply a TQ, stuff oozing from here get's packed type of stuff. They went over the importance of keeping the casualty warm then we went out and packed each other around to demo various methods to move a patient.

The stuff that was suggested that we never use, but they were going to show us as long as we never would think of using it was the Cricothyrotomy which we did on training dummies and needle decompression, once again practiced on dummies. They did mention having stuff available for persons with higher training to use and left it at that, neither supporting nor condemning the philosophy. There was passing discussion on drugs that we will never see, so they just said "these exist". They did mention the "pill pack" of antibiotics that were to be given at the time of injury to reduce complications from infection. They told us what they were and mentioned that a RX may be possible if you talk to your doctor and have a compelling reason for them (traveling in the third world or wilderness for example)

I thought it was better than the CLS class I had, maybe because the Army wasn't there to suck all the fun out of it. It was definitely better than the first aid class at work. I should probably review my notes.

I found the stuff on controlling bleeding to be the potentially most useful. They were kind of "meh" on NPAs, they said that the old head tilt does a pretty good job of maintaining an airway if it can be monitored. The other stuff was interesting, but I'm not going to be stabbing some dude with a needle or going at his throat with a scalpel. After the class, I did exchange my CATs for the SOFTT-W, replaced Asherman seals with Halos and added Olaes dressings in my FAKs. The folks that put it on didn't sell any of the stuff BTW.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:
...After the class, I did exchange my CATs for the SOFTT-W....
View Quote
@Pro_Patria_431 I find this interesting. In the class I attended they were all about the CAT bc of the ease of self application. The SOFT was states to be superior but better for self aid on legs or buddy aid. When putting a CAT vs SOFT on the arm with one hand everyone found that the CAT was superior.

I personally carry a CAT on my person and have an assortment of CAT and SOFT in my kits.

Can you give your opinion on why the change and more details please. As medicine is simply a practice I value everyone's opinion.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:33:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: toxicbubbles] [#4]
FWIW, I took the 2 day TECC course through AEMT hosted by AMR

I do understand the differences bn TECC and TCCC. I an mainly focused on the self aid aspect with regards to environment/climate in your opinion.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By toxicbubbles:

@Pro_Patria_431 I find this interesting. In the class I attended they were all about the CAT bc of the ease of self application. The SOFT was states to be superior but better for self aid on legs or buddy aid. When putting a CAT vs SOFT on the arm with one hand everyone found that the CAT was superior.

I personally carry a CAT on my person and have an assortment of CAT and SOFT in my kits.

Can you give your opinion on why the change and more details please. As medicine is simply a practice I value everyone's opinion.
View Quote
The guys that taught the class agreed that the CAT was easier to apply during self aid as opposed to the SOFT. the SOFT-W addressed the issue and is about as easy to apply. They also preferred the metal windlass to the poly one. They didn't say the CAT was bad per say, but we did try a bunch of different TQs and I didn't see any downside to the SOFT-W. I do prefer the CAT to the original SOFT for self aid.

After EDCing the SOFT-W I have noticed that the clip is not always fully seated, it has not come apart and seats when initially tightened.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By D_J:
I'd like to take some TCCC or CLS training, but have wondered how much overlap there is with first responder/EMR training.
View Quote
This thread has the Power Point that was used in the class I took.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top