Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2023 7:41:28 AM EDT

I recently had an elderly family member spend 8hrs in the ER for a severely injured shoulder.  This got me thinking about things that I went to the ER for growing up.  If I can avoid the ER for anything short of a life threatening injury, I would be ecstatic.  

Does anyone have a source for quality suture kits that I can leverage for injuries that are slightly north of minor but not yet life threatening?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Also try an urgent care in those cases.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#2]
You can find kits from off brand companies, just make sure they offer proper sterilization documentation. I think MyMedic does some grab and go stuff for basic laceration closure. There are also some minimally invasive zipper style closures that have been in field testing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Staples are the new sutures.
Plenty of suture kits there too.  Nearly all that stuff is labeled “for training” cause the AMA doesn’t like self care.

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe these suture bandages?

Amazon Product
  • \u2705QUICK AND EFFECTIVE WOUND CLOSURE: These surgical quality zip sutures come with emergency wound closure, cleaning wipes and cotton swabs that can effectively treat wounds where you are. Great alternative to stitches, skin glue and butterfly zip sutures. (4 Emergency Wound Closures Device, 8 Cleaning Wipes, 8 Cotton Swabs)

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I've often wondered what one could do to numb the area prior to stitching...

Years ago I bought a suturing practice/teaching kit off Amazon complete with all tools and fake skin to learn on.  It's really not difficult on a non-moving object, but add a living being with pain receptors and things get, messier?
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Maybe these suture bandages?

www.amazon.com/dp/B09WYY8WCC
View Quote

Those are what I keep.  Really, I’m not more than a day from a clinic, those work for a short term solution.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#7]
For those instances where you don't have access to sutres or staples, with a simple band-aid and scissors you can make a butterfly with good holding power.

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I do keep sutures in one kit, but really, unless the need is extreme they will stay there.   The wound really needs cleaning, hemostats should be used, and sterile.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Also try an urgent care in those cases.
View Quote

I found out last week the one of the local occupational health offices does sutures.

Some of the local urgos/oncalls/promptcares/wtfbbqxyz (I swear every company has to have some unique idiotic name for the same thing) will do sutures, some won't,  it can help to call around and find out what capabilities different places have (preferably before you need it).

Also see if your PCP does urgent visits; when I was a kid my mom cut the tip of her thumb off and it was a weekday so we just called the family doc and they got her in and sewed her up an hour or so later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top