Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2017 11:00:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 1:06:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Luke_31] [#1]
Don't get anything more than a basic first aid kit that he should already have in the car anyways. Pretty much unless he is working he can do nothing more than basic first aid anyways.  I've been a paramedic for years now and the most important thing in my car is a cell phone and a pair of gloves. Ultimately a ambulance would need to be called to anything he sees anyway, and there is only so much you can do off duty.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the kits include a bunch of stuff you’ll never use. A quality stethoscope would be a good gift, I like Littmann and there are some reasonably priced ones there are still way better than the junkers that are usually provided.

FWIW my car trauma kit is gloves, kerlix, and an ace wrap vacuum packed with a food saver. I do keep a cheap Adventure Medical first aid kit in the car that I replace once a year.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#3]
narcan
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#4]
A basic EMT can only do so much legally.

Get whatever bag you like.

-Couple pressure bandages
-Couples rolled kerlex
-Couple Tourniquets(He may not have ever trained with these)
-Some occlusive dressing
-Trauma sheers
-Stethoscope
-BP cuff
-3in Medical tape
-C-collar
-Gloves

That's what comes to me off the top of my head. I would ask him what he is allowed to do and tailor it to that. Also, I would consider what he is doing most of the day and where the bag is located. If it is in his care, then he will more than likely use it for motor vehicle accidents. So you would probably want to tailor it to those types of injuries. (broken limbs, C-collars, cuts/bruises).
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Seatbelt cushion since he will just be driving EMT-Ps around.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Spookfish:
Seatbelt cushion since he will just be driving EMT-Ps around.
View Quote
Emergency Medic Tender

Link Posted: 1/27/2018 3:37:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EvanWilliams] [#7]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
My son is in college getting a degree in microbiology, but he took an EMT class over the summer and just needs to take the final test to be accredited. I was thinking about getting him a basic EMT kit for Christmas. The biggest question I had aren't actually about the kit itself (although I'm sure you'll make some great suggestions), but if it is something he can keep in his car with the Texas heat. I'd assume it's something you'd want in your car as he most likely won't need it in the dorm. Thanks...
View Quote
Going to bump this so that when Z's kid gets his micro degree he can ask questions RE: med school.

Three of the nurse anesthetists in our dept. were microbiologists that went back to become RNs then CRNAs.  All 3 worked in industry (dairy co., food co. and the other for a scientific equipment manufacturer). The docs tended to major in a biology fields but I think that is less the trend now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
He's thinking more seriously about med school. His grades aren't good enough, although he kicked major ass last fall. He really kicked it up a notch and hopefully that trend will continue. If so, he should do OK.
View Quote
Don’t be too hasty re grades not good enough.

But it’s a running joke in the OR that we make fun of the Med students for being stupid enough to go to Med school in today’s climate!!!

We tell them all “the smart people are in dental or vet school!!!”

JK  best of luck to him
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top