Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2009 11:52:56 PM EDT
Hi All,

I'm looking for a good, reliable, well built coach gun more for HomeDef usage than Cowboy Action Shooting.  But from my experiences in action shooting, I know that the whatever holds up well in competition is going to a good choice for my purposes and whatever doesn't do well in competition isn't going to work for me.

I'm looking for 12ga. ~20" barrel(18.5 would be OK), SxS, changeable chokes would be nice, but I could live with just IC.  Single trigger would be nice as well.

I was looking at the Remington(Baikal) which seems to have mixed reviews.  Another manufactuer I was looking at is Stoeger which seems to have a very interest line of coach guns.

TIA for all advice, opinions and recommendations.

-Frank
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 10:49:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 87GN] [#1]
FWIW I have a Stoeger 2" 12ga with the double trigger, have put a good amount of ammunition through it and have not experienced any problems. One barrel is IC if I remember right the other is Mod.
Link Posted: 11/26/2009 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
cimarron makes a damn nice coach gun!!

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148135160

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Just picked this off the internet:  Remington/Baikal

The Stoegers I held at the shop looked and felt cheap compared to the Cimarron 1878 and the Remington.  This Remington coach is the nicest looking coach I've seen.  Fiddleback walnut stock and nice bluing.  Though the Cimarron 1878 color case hardened coach is a sex machine!

What I've gathered is the Cimarron 1878 is the race gun for cowboy action shooting (CAS) due to smoothness and close hammer placement for double cocking.  "Rabbit ears".  If you are not CAS inclined then the stiffer, less racier Remington/Baikal coaches get the nod.  "play around gun"
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Stoeger
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Stoeger Hammerless. Most of the top guns and competitors at CAS shoot hammerless SxS shotguns.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Stoegers hold up well and lots of guys use them.  You could do a lot worse than a Stoeger.

A number of smiths are selling the Remington with slick-up work already done.  I think Evil Roy offers one that way.  It is a great gun IF the gun smithing is done before you use it in a match.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top