Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2016 9:32:03 PM EDT
I had to use the Quickclot 4x4 gauze pad and 2 4x4 regular gauze pads out of my ITS Boo Boo plus kit last night. Any idea where I can buy these individually without having to buy an entire box? Galls has a 3 pack of the Quickclot and a box of the regular gauze, but for whatever reason I've grown to dislike that website (I think it's all the Chinese made shit they sell now) over the years. Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Tried Bass Pro or Cabela's?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the idea. Never thought about those 2 places.  They offer the sponges though and I don't know how they would fit in the pouch (there's not much room in there). I may still pick one up to try out though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had good luck on Amazon for the z-fold gauze, just check the specific shippers expiration date that they have listed so you don't get screwed. Last few that I bought all had 2020 expiration dates
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:09:25 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.galls.com/quikclot-ems-4x4-dressing-3-pack-?PMWTNO=000000000002328&PMSRCH=

Above is what I'm looking for, Below is what I found from the link that Medicman Posted. Also, I didn't see any of the Quikclot gauze listed on Amazon. That was my first stop.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/05127/s-hemostatics/-ActCel-Hemostatic-Gauze---4x4-

May give this stuff a try.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:12:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#6]
Are we saying Quick Clot is something good to have now?

I've been looking at the developments and challenges with hemostatic agents, and find myself leaning back on direct pressure, tourniquets, Ace wraps, and hemostats.

Is there anything convincing that would push someone towards including the newer gauze in your IFAK?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:24:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbryce31186] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Are we saying Quick Clot is something good to have now?

I've been looking at the developments and challenges with hemostatic agents, and find myself leaning back on direct pressure, tourniquets, Ace wraps, and hemostats.

Is there anything convincing that would push someone towards including the newer gauze in your IFAK?
View Quote

http://www.itstactical.com/medcom/tecc-medcom/tactical-emergency-casualty-care-c-tecc-guidelines-june-2016-update/

Go to Indirect Threat Care. #5, section 3a&b    ) For severe bleeding in anatomic areas where a tourniquet cannot be used:
(a) If available, apply a hemostatic agent in accordance with the directions for its use along with direct pressure followed by an appropriate pressure bandage.
(b) If no hemostatic agent is available, apply an appropriate pressure dressing.Consider packing the wound with gauze prior to application of the pressure dressing in order to increase the amount of pressure applied from the dressing to the bleeding blood vessels deep in the wound.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#8]
What I've seen with Quick Clot is that they had problems with the initial product, didn't work well, granules caused problems including burns, and was hard to remove at the ER once hardened in the wound.

They took a lot of the end-user feedback to correct the problems with subsequent generations, but I would want to see more end-user feedback on it.

I'm used to just packing the wound with gauze and wrapping with Ace in most cases, and that's from actual experience on a regular basis, to include traumatic amputations, GSWs, etc.

At SOMTB, they pushed the basics of sticks and rags pretty hard, and those techniques worked.

From what I've seen from the comments from ER personnel, they are seeing increased use of Quick Clot on minor injuries that don't require hemostatic agents, making everything more difficult with higher echelon wound management.

I think this is a result of the "push-button" solution default common in our culture, where people think lack of medical training can be compensated for with some new gadget or product.

For those that know what they are doing, it would be good to ensure they have the later generation hemostatic agents that don't suffer from the problems with the originals. From their site:

QuikClot® products have evolved over several years. These kaolin-based gauze products represent the third and latest generation of technology in the QuikClot® family of products for hemostasis. The active ingredient, kaolin, is impregnated onto the nonwoven polyester/rayon gauze for easy and familiar application.
View Quote

Quick Clot FAQ
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#9]
What I've seen with Quick Clot is that they had problems with the initial product, didn't work well, granules caused problems including burns, and was hard to remove at the ER once hardened in the wound.

They took a lot of the end-user feedback to correct the problems with subsequent generations, but I would want to see more end-user feedback on it.

I'm used to just packing the wound with gauze and wrapping with Ace in most cases, and that's from actual experience on a regular basis, to include traumatic amputations, GSWs, etc.

At SOMTB, they pushed the basics of sticks and rags pretty hard, and those techniques worked.

From what I've seen from the comments from ER personnel, they are seeing increased use of Quick Clot on minor injuries that don't require hemostatic agents, making everything more difficult with higher echelon wound management.

I think this is a result of the "push-button" solution default common in our culture, where people think lack of medical training can be compensated for with some new gadget or product.

For those that know what they are doing, it would be good to ensure they have the later generation hemostatic agents that don't suffer from the problems with the originals. From their site:

Quick Clot FAQ
View Quote

When I was in EMT school in 08 or 09 they were really pushing us to use Quick Clot. We also trained with kerlex, but they always said to use Quick Clot. I'm no longer in that field, but I definitely see what your're saying. Having to buy the stuff myself now, I'm not about to pull out a $40 gauze pack to use to treat a minor wound. The pads I was looking for though are just a standard 4x4 gauze pad with the homeostatic agent in them. They work great at the bar for when an employee slices their hand open on some glass or a knife. Instead of being away from the door for 30 plus minutes using napkins or gauze to stop the bleeding, generally it's only 15 or so. No one has complained yet about burning like the original compound, and having used them on myself, I haven't felt it either. So yes, what I was looking for works, and are definitely worth it. As for the regular z fold type of Quick Clot, I can't speak for that because thankfully I have not had to use it yet.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:27:05 AM EDT
[#10]
That's what I was wondering.  Are people in EMS using it.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bigbryce31186:
I had to use the Quickclot 4x4 gauze pad and 2 4x4 regular gauze pads out of my ITS Boo Boo plus kit last night. Any idea where I can buy these individually without having to buy an entire box? Galls has a 3 pack of the Quickclot and a box of the regular gauze, but for whatever reason I've grown to dislike that website (I think it's all the Chinese made shit they sell now) over the years. Thanks in advance for the help.
View Quote

Well, LA Police Gear has some and they have 15% off until the end of the night...12/26/16.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bigbryce31186:
View Quote

What did you do to have to use Quikclot?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Current TCCC guidelines are pushing Combat Gauze for junctional hemorrhages and wound packing where direct pressure is inadequate or where a TQ is inaccessible.

Specifically, QuikClot Combat Gauze ONLY (or its repackaged variants).  It consistently outperforms all the other field-use hemostatic agents/gauzes, and some of the others actually increase bleeding over standard gauze in recent studies.  This is an area where up-to-date research is critical, like where TQs were 10-15 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 5:12:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#14]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#15]
That's what I was wondering.  Are people in EMS using it.  Thanks
View Quote

Yes, we are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top