Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2012 1:35:20 PM EDT

Hey guys,

None of my friends are interested in working a pump fast and rarely practice with them.  I have a Benelli Super Nova Tactical in 12 gauge and really enjoy it but was wondering if I could get an opinion on my times.  I shot 5 targets at 10 - 17 yards, right to left from a low ready with the safety on.  The targets are about 3 feet apart and are in a V pattern with the middle being the farthest.  I used a timer set to random start.  My best time was a 3.79 and I was just running field loads but I only use low recoil buckshot anyways so that probably didn't make to much of a difference.  What is a good time?  Should I be under 3 seconds?  

Thanks for any responses.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#1]
3 seconds would be a pretty good time as it would give you a 1 sec first round hit and half second splits.  This sounds like good training but don't be too obsessed with a time on a particular course of fire that you neglect other training with your shotgun.  Lots of different drills that will improve your handling out there and make you even faster.  Great job on the time.

Link Posted: 8/8/2012 12:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FiremanFrank] [#2]
Thanks for the reply.  I actually took 1.14 seconds to get off the first shot and I didn't write down my split times.  It is fun to do and it is a nice break from my IDPA practice.  I will keep at it as I have a bunch of shells to burn through.

Ran the drill a few times today.  I ran a best of 3.24 and think 3.0 will be here soon.  Thanks for giving me a goal.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to shoot 3 gun with my 590 . Some matches would have a plate rack for a side match . My best time would be about .8-1 sec slower than the fastest semi-auto guys . You don't give up much with pump and gain a  bit more reliability  . And speed is one thing , hits are the important thing .
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
During our shotgun shoots I know that 2 guys have broke 3 seconds shooting 5 targets with a pump but they both have been handling a shotgun for 35+ years.    I posted a video of some of the shooting there is a link in here somewhere if you want to see how you'd compare to my fast friends. I'm 4 to 5 seconds usually.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't worry too much about splits between shots.  Most of the time is in transitions -- getting the gun up and getting rid of it -- that's what I practice and worry about.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If you really train with a pump you can keep up with an auto. I've shot pumps for everything, thousands of rounds a year shooting skeet, some trap and sporting clays, plus pheasant hunting and defensive training.

At a Gray Guns (now Op Spec Training) shotgun class we had clay pigeons on stands made for us by Karl at GT Targets. There were 8 targets in two staggered rows and you had to load with 5 rounds and run your gun dry, load 3 and finish the course. I was shooting my Mossy 590 and loading from a sidesaddle. I was the only Mossberg shooter, there were a few 870 shooters (who didn't come within 3 seconds of me) and a few people shot a defensive course with tricked-out Benelli's and 1100's, reloading from competition gear. It kind of defeats the purpose of a tactical class, but some people will do anything to be the top shooter in the class. Well, that didn't work for any of them because I could still run my completely stock 590 (except for the addition of a sidesaddle), hit every target, load the chamber, load two more into the mag tube and take out the last three pigeons at least 0.2 seconds, and usually more than even the 3-gun shooters.

Some instructors say a good pump shooter can outrun a gas operated semi auto. That I really don't know but I could beat the auto shooters with my Mossberg because I've trained constantly with all aspects of shooting my pumps, especially reloading from the sidesaddle. I have mine set up two shells facing up and four down, and drill with dummy rounds for hours. You get out of good training what you put into it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of the best pump shotgun practice is duck huntin. I'm pretty fast on the Wingmaster, but I should be after huntin em for 45 years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My speed with a pump action...comes with pumping during recoil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top