Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2022 9:31:03 AM EDT
Good morning all.

I am trying to find a place where I can do high-power matches/clinics near Huntsville, Alabama. A lot of the web pages seem to be outdated. Does anyone here know where I can go to get into the sport of high power?

The only recent one I've been able to find is at the Talladega CMP range. But it seems they only do 3x600 matches? I don't have match ammo right now, nor do I think I could yet shoot effectively to that distance.

Eventually, I'd like to participate in competing at EICs.

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:50:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: axl] [#1]
Originally Posted By naos:
Good morning all.

I am trying to find a place where I can do high-power matches/clinics near Huntsville, Alabama. A lot of the web pages seem to be outdated. Does anyone here know where I can go to get into the sport of high power?

The only recent one I've been able to find is at the Talladega CMP range. But it seems they only do 3x600 matches? I don't have match ammo right now, nor do I think I could yet shoot effectively to that distance.

Thank you in advance.
View Quote

Morning - look up Blue and Gray range in Guntersville and Cavern Cove in Grant. Also there is discussion about this in the home town forum.

here is some info:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Huntsville-Shooting-Ranges/31-661390/
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. I'll check out both.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m not familiar with High Power matches, but I do know it’s tough to find any local matches in north AL…. The place in Grant is well know for their .22 and Cowboy matches.

I know none of that is much help, the only advice I can give is be prepared to I travel a few hours to find any.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Chattanooga Rifle Club has high power matches

https://chattanoogarifleclub.org/
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Good morning all.

Thank you in advance.
View Quote

I can’t help you on range locations.

However, I can say shooting 600 is really no different than shooting 100 on the reduced course target. 600 is intimidating before you do it. After your first bullet hits target, you will dial the sights on the center and think no different of it than shooting at 100.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll try it out then. Thank you for the insight.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
check and see if the national guard range in tullahoma is still hosting CMP/NRA HP matches.  They used to do xtc and 600 and 1000 monthly.  it's been 15 years since i went though.  used to be a HP page on delphi forums haha where a lot of it was organized.  i'm sure that's gone.    They were just club matches though.  No EIC etc.    For years i think they also hosted the AL state championship because there wasn't a suitable range in AL, but that's not the case either.

oak ridge is prob 2 hours drive, but you can shoot EIC and registered matches there.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:

I can’t help you on range locations.

However, I can say shooting 600 is really no different than shooting 100 on the reduced course target. 600 is intimidating before you do it. After your first bullet hits target, you will dial the sights on the center and think no different of it than shooting at 100.
View Quote

perhaps if you're shooting in a warehouse.  but most ranges will have enough wind to significantly reduce your score if you treat 600 just like 100.   i can assure you camp perry does
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

CMP Talladega also has 800 Point Aggregate Matches.  The next one is August 27.

Their full schedule is here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:14:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#9]
NRA Competitions Divisions maintains a list of sanctioned matches on their web site.  It is sorted by type of event and by State.

Link to SSUSA Coming Events

[b]High Power Rifle Tournaments -

ALABAMA, Birmingham: 100 YD, Sep. 25, Oct. 30, Nov. 27, A; J. McCorstin, 152 Mallard Pointe Cr., Pelham, AL 35124; [email protected]

ALABAMA, Pinson: 100 YD, Sep. 10, Oct. 8, Nov. 12, A; T. Gilliam, 2345 2nd Pl., NE, Center Point, AL 35215; [email protected]

ALABAMA, Shorter: 100 YD, Sep. 10, Oct. 8, Nov. 12, Dec. 10, A; R. Faber, 129 Faulk Dr., Millbrook, AL 36054; [email protected]

I hope this helps in some way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top