Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2019 5:43:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC88-93]
Can not find the rules related to maximum rifle weight for a NRA High Power Service Rifle.  I think I found the max weight in the NRA rule book for Mid Range Prone at 14lbs for a AR15.  But there was nothing listed for Across the Course maximum weight that I could find.

And question number two is the same exact question but related to CMP matches...What is their max weight?

Question three.  How heavy is your rifle and where is its point of balance. (To the rear, centered?)
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no max weight.

B
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 6:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC88-93] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bpm990d: There is no max weight.
View Quote
I found this in the Mid Range Prone area, so it doesn't apply to across the course?
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Mid-range tactical rifle and “service rifle” are different classifications.

Service rifle has no weight limit. My service rifle weighs 16 lb. and had a CMP inspection just last week.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 6:40:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC88-93] [#4]
Originally Posted By airsix:
Mid-range tactical rifle and "service rifle" are different classifications.

Service rifle has no weight limit. My service rifle weighs 16 lb. and had a CMP inspection just last week.
View Quote
I know they are different, but I would shoot the same rifle in both so it does in effect set a limit for me, I just couldnt find any difinitive weight for Across the Course so question answered for both CMP and NRA I guess..  As to your weight how did you arrive at that weight did you experiment with both lower and higher weights and settle on 16?
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
All these stupid classes and courses of fire in the shooting sports are a fucking menace like gonorrhea.

B
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 6:58:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#6]
-None for match rifle. Unfortunately none for service rifle.

-8.3lbs. At the pivot pin, so centered. About an inch fore or aft is fine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Are there any mid-range tactical matches being held anywhere? I was aware of the classification, but last I heard nobody was doing anything with it. If they are, that’s great. More matches is always good news.

As for weight, 16 lb is just what it came to after adding all the weight I could and then getting the balance I wanted. I shoot with a rear bias so the butt doesn’t try to lift out of my shoulder. You shouldn’t have to pull down on the pistol grip to keep the rifle seated due to being muzzle-heavy. IMHO
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Are there any mid-range tactical matches being held anywhere? I was aware of the classification, but last I heard nobody was doing anything with it.
View Quote
They have a few of them up here. Never shot one and probably never will.

B
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC88-93] [#9]
Are there any mid-range tactical matches being held anywhere? I was aware of the classification, but last I heard nobody was doing anything with it. If they are, that's great. More matches is always good news.
View Quote
I guess our local one at my club is more of a 600 any/any so bring what you want...
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 8:06:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#10]
When mine was configured as an A2 it was 16.75 pounds.  Now, with a scope, Larue rail, M4 stock, and .45 bullets in the pistol grip its a few pounds lighter.

Balance is somewhere around the middle-front of the magazine well, fore-and-aft-wise.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a lightweight,,

my iron sites guns are ~13lbs,

I wrapped some lead sheeting around the front tube, (old school free float) and some #8 shot in the A1 stock

just put a scoped gun together, not sure of what it weighs,,  (have not put it on a scale yet)
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I have my service rifle set up a little lighter than most people.  Haven't weight it precisely but if I had to guess it is 11-12 pounds.  Just added a couple pounds or so of lead in the buttstock to balance it out (seems to balance around front pivot pin).  Other than the lead in the butt, just has the standard heavy barrel and A2 free-float handguard.

I'm content with a rifle in the 10-13 pound range.  Anything more than that is a little excessive to me.  I think balance is more important than overall weight.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I went back and forth with weight and balance.

I used to shoot no added weight, then I fully loaded with those cast lead weights fore and aft but found that it was too much for my taste and wasn’t really helping if I was getting fatigued. I cut way back after a session of experimenting.

The ability to shoot the offhand was my priority and I figured I wouldn’t try to worry about the sitting or prone in terms of ballast. (I have heard indirectly of some folks that do this and actually change between stages. I’m not sure if that is even legal but I’m also not going to do it so I’m not concerned.)

You will just have to get yourself some lead or ballast and make a few trial runs of what gives you the best hold. I played at home as well as on the range in the wind. You will want to go play around in a gusty wind or you won’t really see the total effect. I can actually shoot the gun better in windless conditions with zero ballast, but that isn’t true in the wind so make sure you try and include realistic conditions.

Using some tape and external weights made it easier to make changes compared to installing them. Once I had it narrowed down, then I played with how I would actually install them.

My CG or balance point is very close to the front of the mag well. I used about 1/3 of the full cast weight in front and only enough in back to balance the gun. That made offhand practice much less fatiguing for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top