Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2018 11:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Benefactor]
Anyone have any opinions on this training?

https://www.nols.edu/en/coursefinder/courses/wilderness-first-aid-WFA/

Novice here.  Looking For something more than a basic first aid class, although I'm sure I would benefit from just a basic $95 Red Cross class.  This one is a 2-day $235 course in late September.

Dark Angel is holding 2-day course in my area in October for $400, but I'm not sure I'd get twice the knowledge for twice the price, especially at this stage of my learning.

I've taken the free Stop The Bleed course and I am looking for a sensible next step.  I'm not looking to be an expert, just better prepared to react quickly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I took a WFA class a few years ago, but had already done an EMT class a few years prior to WFA. For me, it was a waste of time but if you're relatively new then it "may" be worth it. Certainly a refresher is always recommended.

In short, if you have the time and cash - do it.  If you learn even one thing it's worth it, especially if you actually have to use what you've learned.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Get both. The Dark Angel class is well rounded, if you want more environmental coverage this is decent exposure (no pun intended ) as well that you can do online.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Also want to add that any additional training and practice is always recommended. If you're not in the industry the skills are perishable and will get rusty pretty quickly. Like the other poster said, get both.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 12:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#4]
Do the NOLS now, Dark Angel next, something else after that. Classes (even smaller ones) at regular intervals is the way to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top