Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2020 9:39:25 PM EDT
First thanks for reading what will be an in depth review of the MantisX system.

I purchased the MantisX X10 on July 3rd, 2020 after reading several reviews and in depth review of their website. Their torture test video really gave me an idea of the quality of the product being constructed of electronics and gyroscopes and its relation to ability to survive various recoils of the firearms I own and shoot.

In this first post I intended to focus on initial setup of the application and device. I also want to go over what I have encountered during use at this point, which has been dry fire only. I do however plan on taking a range trip in the next few days with it and give review of that perspective of the products features.

Initial setup: First off I ordered the device directly from MantisX but it can be purchased at other online vendors such as Midway. While waiting for the device to arrive I grabbed the app from the Apple Store. It asks instantly to Connect or Skip Connection. At this point I did not have the device but wanted to look at the application. Well I was pleasantly surprised that I could get my account setup and also enter my firearms in to the system. Having long guns and pistols that I wanted to enter was really quick as they made it super easy by listing many manufactures in their database along with their models and calibers. This is all easily done in the app.

As we all know Sig has many firearms with their proprietary rail but guess what, the MantisX mounts to it no problem. What about firearms with no rail? Well with the MantisX X10 it comes with a mount to mount to your barrel or the optional accessory mount to mount to magazine bases, some are available firearm specific or you can get the universal one.

Dry Fire Use: Once attached push a button and a green light flashes. Open your app hit connect and leave the firearm still on a surface for a few seconds while it calibrates and you are good to go. You can switch firearms in you arsenal and recalibrate right in the application quickly if you took the few minutes to enter the firearms. You have no way to tell where impact is unless you supplement with a laser system when dry firing. But typically in a dry fire scenario you are working on draw from holster, trigger pull, and sight picture. This will do this with ease. There are different modes of training that are very valuable in my opinion. You can train one handed, both hands, from the holster, and other modes while using it in a dry fire configuration.

You might be sitting there going this will not really help me I don't move around a lot when pulling the trigger or that your mechanics are flawless. Well, this tool is super sensitive and will tell you more than you thought you knew. I always thought I had a smooth trigger pull or great basic mechanics and this tool proved me wrong. Do I have good or decent mechanics, probably. I have been able to see that no matter what I have room for improvement and I have seen that after doing may dry fires I go from breaking my wrist down (recoil anticipation) to starting to push with my weak hand as I fatigue. I think you would be amazed with how sensitive this tool is. As you use it you start getting good muscle memory as you correct your issues and you see them in real time. When I started using this tool I was scoring mid to upper 80s, mind you a perfect score is 100. I have had a few lower scores in the 60s when I did something I instantly felt was wrong. Now that I have used a few firearms with this system I am scoring low to mid 90s consistently.

It amazes me how I had issues and the most notable was going from my P320 M17 to my 1911 or P227. Just by switching to the larger caliber firearms you could see the scores drop as my muscle memory knew these firearms have more recoil along with weighing more. So to confirm this I went from My M17 to my P320 VTAC and noticed minimal score issues and control issues, but as soon as I picked up my Ruger MKIV the scores climbed a little as there is almost zero recoil.

Now not everything is perfect.... With the sensitivity of the device sometimes I did not lock the slide and when it settled in it would read as a shot... This is not a device issue, it was a me issue. The good news is you can delete that "shot" so that your average is not affected. The key take away is to not ride the slide.

Dry Fire Conclusion: While I have yet to test this device with live fire I can feel and see results of improvement at this time. I believe this tool will be fantastic especially to keep the skills sharp during the winter months where it is harder to get out and shoot due to the weather here in NH. I see it as a valuable tool and while it is not the least expensive item out there it has already began to pay for itself. Coming in at $249.99 it is comparable with the cost of a single day of professional instruction at Sig Sauer Academy. I think that this tool will hone your skills and make taking a course with a professional instructor more beneficial as you will be working on tightening up your mechanics on your own versus having a class slow down to clean up the sloppy mechanics. If you have taken a course you know there is always that one person who slows things down as their skills are not quite up to par with everyone in the class. This is a great value and thus far I believe it is a must have, especially with these trying times.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:57:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Henny] [#1]
I was just wondering how your experience is with the X10?  

I got my Mantis about the same time you did. It’s a great tool!  

Join the ARFCOM group on the app!  This week I’m the only one active on it!  Other weeks JaxShooter and Nancy Pelosi are active on it too!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had the MantisX 10 Elite for a couple of weeks now.  I've used it on a G17, G17L and an SBR AR.  On the Glocks I'm using a DryFire Mag so I don't have to rack the slide.  Waiting on a SIRT pistol and AR bolt to arrive and I'll switch over to that.  I've joined the ARFCOM group and there are only 3 active users it seems.  So far I really like it, it is helpful in cleaning up the trigger press with the feedback of how you are moving the pistol.  Really hard to self diagnose without it, especially with live fire.  I'm working through the challenges now as that gives me a goal to work towards.  I'm hoping they add more in the future.  

I did talk with the company prior to purchase and they have improved the sensors/software to better detect dry fire practice, but you have to actually tell it what you are doing in the settings of the app.  There is also a setting for SIRT/DryFire Mag that makes it even more sensitive.  I haven't had many shots that it just didn't pick up on, maybe 5%, maybe.  I've had more issue with it detecting a shot when there wasn't one, such as when you hold the trigger back for a second before resetting it, the reset is being picked up as a shot too.  But as long as you don't hold the trigger back too long, that isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 2:28:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vanrichten:

I did talk with the company prior to purchase and they have improved the sensors/software to better detect dry fire practice, but you have to actually tell it what you are doing in the settings of the app.  There is also a setting for SIRT/DryFire Mag that makes it even more sensitive.  I haven't had many shots that it just didn't pick up on, maybe 5%, maybe.  I've had more issue with it detecting a shot when there wasn't one, such as when you hold the trigger back for a second before resetting it, the reset is being picked up as a shot too.  But as long as you don't hold the trigger back too long, that isn't an issue.
View Quote

This has been my experience too, regarding holding the trigger back too long.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I was just asked about MantisX today.  Could any of you follow-up on your original post(s)?  Do you still like it and use it?  Do you wish that it incorporated other items or wish something was changed with it?  Would you purchase it again or would you buy from a competitor?
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I found that I'm pretty good with mine when dry firing but terrible when shooting live ammo.

It gets me to practice dry firing which was a real chore before, so I consider it a success. I need to start playing around with it on other guns to see how I do.

As a side note, I am on my second one. My first one wouldn't work for holster draws when installed correctly. I had to put it on my gun one direction and tell the app it was on a different direction for it work and then, as you can imagine, it didn't work right for dry firing just for holster draw.

They sent me a replacement quickly and I returned the first one.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CodeSection:
I was just asked about MantisX today.  Could any of you follow-up on your original post(s)?  Do you still like it and use it?  Do you wish that it incorporated other items or wish something was changed with it?  Would you purchase it again or would you buy from a competitor?
View Quote

Yes, I use my MantisX nearly every day. It’s part of my morning routine. I’m fine with the way it is and I’d definitely buy it again.

There aren’t too many people on the ARFCOM group, though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:18:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CodeSection] [#7]
rippr334 and Henny, thanks for the posts....I appreciate it!  
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:59:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Henny] [#8]
I’m taking a little break to make some coffee right now. By the time I start getting ready to go to work I’ll be over 62,000 dry fire cycles through mine.

Right now I’m doing mostly support hand fire ( left) because on Wednesday, I’m getting my right shoulder repaired. Apparently, I tore some muscles in there!  

Well, I tore one in my left shoulder too, but it’s not as bad!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Henny:
I’m taking a little break to make some coffee right now. By the time I start getting ready to go to work I’ll be over 62,000 dry fire cycles through mine.

Right now I’m doing mostly support hand fire ( left) because on Wednesday, I’m getting my right shoulder repaired. Apparently, I tore some muscles in there!  

Well, I tore one in my left shoulder too, but it’s not as bad!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10846/CCE9E5E9-5C91-4A75-8600-57D34A8CCF8A_png-1857034.JPG
View Quote

Ouch!  I hope your surgery and physical therapy go well and you are back to your routines.  Thanks for sharing your results!
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Hoping to get one of these soon. Looks very beneficial.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WCC:
Hoping to get one of these soon. Looks very beneficial.
View Quote

They are, as far as dry fire goes.

I’m still hammering away!

Yesterday was dryfiring at least 50 sequences for a year straight!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for popping this back up.

I fell off the wagon and need to get back on board.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
Thanks for popping this back up.

I fell off the wagon and need to get back on board.
View Quote

You’re damn right you do!  

Come on man, all the cool kids are doing it!

I’ve just made it part of my daily routine. Dryfire with my morning coffee!
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Sir, yes sir!

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
Sir, yes sir!

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Between the MantisX and dummy round drills at the range, this has transformed my handgun shooting. I use MantisX along with the Laser Academy at home for dry fire practice and it is a lot of fun and an awesome tool. I thought they might be a bit of a gimmick, but used right, they are awesome tools to improve your shooting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Fly2Low:
Between the MantisX and dummy round drills at the range, this has transformed my handgun shooting. I use MantisX along with the Laser Academy at home for dry fire practice and it is a lot of fun and an awesome tool. I thought they might be a bit of a gimmick, but used right, they are awesome tools to improve your shooting.
View Quote

My wife got gave me the Laser Academy for Christmas, yes, it is another good tool for improvement!
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#18]
So, I think I want to get this.  I'm a buy once, cry once kinda guy, I want a full setup for my convenience and not wish I would have bought something more or different.

Should I get the X10, and the Laser Training Academy both?
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I have both, if I could only have one it would be the X10.

It’s a good tool and convenient to use.  The laser academy takes a little bit of set up, but it’s fun.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife got me the laser cartridge for Christmas and by mid Feb the button was blown out. Tried in my 92x, m&p, and p365x.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
My wife got me the laser cartridge for Christmas and by mid Feb the button was blown out. Tried in my 92x, m&p, and p365x.
View Quote

The Mantis people were always good to me. One of my Mantis things disintegrated during live fire.  They replaced it. I also had one that wasn’t holding a charge.  They replaced it.  I haven’t used my laser academy as much.  I use my X10 daily.

Attachment Attached File

I’m pushing into 146,000.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone find a good holster that fits with the x10 installed? Does it follow the xc1 or tlr7 footprint?
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By etslick:
Anyone find a good holster that fits with the x10 installed? Does it follow the xc1 or tlr7 footprint?
View Quote

You can always put a small piece of picatinny rail on the bottom of your magazine if you don’t want to get another holster. Nearly all my holsters are for the TLR1 or X300 so I have no problems.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By etslick:
View Quote
It fits perfectly in an XC1 holster.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm using the laser academy and it's a great tool and fun to use.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:35:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Regency] [#26]
Glad I found this thread.  I just bought the X10 and played with it tonight.  It is addicting like a video game.

Between my Staccato C2 and G19, I am averaging between 90-93 average. The staccato impacts high at the range, which I also do most often on the Mantis.  The G19, I don't have that issue.

Trying to fix the 'breaking wrist up' thing has been very perplexing to me, because I don't feel myself doing it as I try different wrist and grip pressures along with good trigger control

I would really like to get 95% 'Great Shot' consistency
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#27]
My personal experience:

Owning a mantis for over a year has been a sh!t show.  Multiple calls to make it work initially, it worked.  Constant resets, before & during use.  Different procedures than published, but as an instructed for the device.  Worked for a while, kind of.  Calls & emails to the company has left me in the hopes of a replacement, for a month now.  Assurancements they'd send a replacement, for the last month.  
 Super happy at first they'd send a replacement.  A month later, 2nd try & nothing sent.   Going to keep trying to get another one.
 Love the idea; would love to be able to put other people on it. (Especially if it actually worked)
 Took it to the local electronics/ phone guy when I got it.  My concern was the gps.  Said the phone had a spike when turned on, another defiant spike when the mantis when on line.  Either one was a gps frequency, & my concern should the fact goolag had them.
 Despite the conundrum; I still want to run the mantisx, if it works.  Still waiting for a replacement.

Apologize for my rant,  Z-Gunner
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone have any opinions compared the "smart Dryfire mag" or a Sirt pistol? I'm pretty much sold on getting a blackbeard for my AR, but not sure what to do for pistol.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Z-gunner:
My personal experience:

Owning a mantis for over a year has been a sh!t show.  Multiple calls to make it work initially, it worked.  Constant resets, before & during use.  Different procedures than published, but as an instructed for the device.  Worked for a while, kind of.  Calls & emails to the company has left me in the hopes of a replacement, for a month now.  Assurancements they'd send a replacement, for the last month.  
 Super happy at first they'd send a replacement.  A month later, 2nd try & nothing sent.   Going to keep trying to get another one.
 Love the idea; would love to be able to put other people on it. (Especially if it actually worked)
 Took it to the local electronics/ phone guy when I got it.  My concern was the gps.  Said the phone had a spike when turned on, another defiant spike when the mantis when on line.  Either one was a gps frequency, & my concern should the fact goolag had them.
 Despite the conundrum; I still want to run the mantisx, if it works.  Still waiting for a replacement.

Apologize for my rant,  Z-Gunner
View Quote

@Z-gunner

First question: do you have an earlier generation or any details on the issues you have been having?  I am wondering if others are having the same issues or if they have been addressed.

Second question (part in bold and underlined): QUE?  Can you re-English that?  What are you getting at, Mantis is tracking your position and might give it to the Feds?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I just pulled the trigger today and bought the Mantis10X. I can’t wait for it to arrive!
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Colonel_Strelnikov:
I just pulled the trigger today and bought the Mantis10X. I can’t wait for it to arrive!
View Quote

Good!  Get into the ARFCOM group! It’s lonely in here!  There’s a bunch of slackers on this forum!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Good!  Get into the ARFCOM group! It’s lonely in here!  There’s a bunch of slackers on this forum!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10846/660357D4-869A-4BDF-BDAE-E7B6E3A0F217_png-2729556.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10846/660357D4-869A-4BDF-BDAE-E7B6E3A0F217_png-2729556.JPG

Just signed up. I can’t check it out & play with it until this Sunday though. :(
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, here’s my first attempt at this…

Attachment Attached File

“Smoke_Wagon”

Still trying to figure it out. Some hiccups here and there. One is a trigger reset will register as a shot.

Another one is the holster draw drill seems to get stuck and just keeps repeating “Shooter Ready “ over and over again. Have to close the app to get her to shut up!

Other than those rough spots, I’m digging it!
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:25:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Henny] [#34]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/201707/39AD3C9E-52E7-4C77-BA67-FE2273353A29_png-2752161.JPG

“Smoke_Wagon”

Still trying to figure it out. Some hiccups here and there. One is a trigger reset will register as a shot.

Another one is the holster draw drill seems to get stuck and just keeps repeating “Shooter Ready “ over and over again. Have to close the app to get her to shut up!

View Quote

You can adjust the reset time in the settings.  That should clear it up.

On the holster draw analysis, the buzzer won’t go off unless it senses the gun is vertical in a holster and minimal movement.

If you still have problems, Mantis’s help people are pretty good!

ETA:  you will notice your shooting will be better after a few weeks with the Mantis!
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#35]

On the holster draw analysis, the buzzer won’t go off unless it senses the gun is vertical in a holster and minimal movement.

ETA:  you will notice your shooting will be better after a few weeks with the Mantis!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/201707/39AD3C9E-52E7-4C77-BA67-FE2273353A29_png-2752161.JPG

“Smoke_Wagon”

Ok, I’ll fiddle around with it- setting wise.

Just in this short time that I tried it, it made me focus and concentrate on my trigger work. I started to improve with just fooling around with it. Pretty amazing. I still have a long way to go though.

I highly recommend it to anyone on the fence. I honestly waited way too long, should have gotten this awhile back.

Link Posted: 7/6/2023 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Picked one up about 10 days ago. Using it daily and I went to the range today for live fire. A significant improvement for me. Very happy so far.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By a_number_1:
So, I think I want to get this.  I'm a buy once, cry once kinda guy, I want a full setup for my convenience and not wish I would have bought something more or different.

Should I get the X10, and the Laser Training Academy both?
View Quote

Only saw one reply to this question, anyone else care to chime in?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry to the Mods, I asked this question in the training room, but that room looks to be dead and I found this thread on Google. lol  ...  What is the general consensus of Mantis X app? Most of the reviews in the Apple app store are fairly old, but there seems to have been some issues with the app such as freezing/restarting, have those been resolved? I see that Colonel_Strelnikov has had some issues; overall what do you guys think, is the app reliable, or does it have consistent issues that make it's use frustrating?  I'm considering the BlackbeardX, does anyone know if this requires the Laser Academy app? What is the difference between the regular Mantis X app and Laser Academy?  Last question is probably a dumb one because I'm not familiar with the mechanics of a Glock, but is there a version of Mantis X that will reset a Glock trigger?  Lots of questions!    

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Barney_Calhoun:
Sorry to the Mods, I asked this question in the training room, but that room looks to be dead and I found this thread on Google. lol  ...  What is the general consensus of Mantis X app? Most of the reviews in the Apple app store are fairly old, but there seems to have been some issues with the app such as freezing/restarting, have those been resolved? I see that Colonel_Strelnikov has had some issues; overall what do you guys think, is the app reliable, or does it have consistent issues that make it's use frustrating?  I'm considering the BlackbeardX, does anyone know if this requires the Laser Academy app? What is the difference between the regular Mantis X app and Laser Academy?  Last question is probably a dumb one because I'm not familiar with the mechanics of a Glock, but is there a version of Mantis X that will reset a Glock trigger?  Lots of questions!    

Thanks guys!
View Quote

@barney_calhoun regarding your last question…

Use a dryfire mag in Glocks for simulated reset otherwise you’ll have to rack the slide each shot. The Mantis does not work off any internal gun mechanics.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By PvtJoeBauers:

@barney_calhoun regarding your last question…

Use a dryfire mag in Glocks for simulated reset otherwise you’ll have to rack the slide each shot. The Mantis does not work off any internal gun mechanics.
View Quote

@PvtJoeBauers  Thanks for the info, I found them on Google.  Also, I purchased a Glock 17 gen 3 airsoft this morning.  Should make for fun dry fire practice in the garage.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I haven't had any significant problem with the App.  MantisX is a fantastic training tool and well worth every dollar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top