Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2016 12:31:59 AM EDT
So recently I've gotten the desire to get an IFAK kit, and learn how to use everything in it.  I've been looking at pre packaged kits and it's a lot to wade through when you don't really know the ins and outs like you fine ARFCOM members do.  

I'm wanting an IFAK that will fit into a double M4 mag pouch or something similar in size and not be extremely bulky.  I'm just wanting to carry the "basics".  Looking over some of the different kits, it appears that everyone has different ideas of what the basics are, but some of them do have over lapping products between them that make me think that's the real meat of the kits.  My question is what does the ARF medical forum think are the must haves in an IFAK while keeping the weight and size of the over all size down?

I know I need to learn how to use it also, I've been talking with my local EMT and Paramedic friends and they are giving me the basic run down on things.  I'm honestly looking for some type of class that I can attend that will give me the basic understanding and basic skill set that I need so I that I won't become more of a liability if I try to help someone.  So does anyone have any good training groups I can check out in the Arkansas / Texas area?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Direct Action Resource Center (DARC) in Little Rock, AR.  Awesome facility.  Owner is former Special Forces; he sometimes posts in the AR HTF, can't recall his screen name.

I carry 2 Tourniquets, chest seals and Israeli bandages, shears.  Don't carry anything you're not trained to use.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn I completely forgot about DARC. They are pretty local to me.   thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:52:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#3]
Critical Defense in Greenville has a medical course and a medic under fire course IIRC
Mac's a good guy, knows his stuff. tell him Chef sent you when you call.Critical defense group

American Red Cross may have some registered instructors as well?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AF_K9:

I carry 2 Tourniquets, chest seals and Israeli bandages, shears.  Don't carry anything you're not trained to use.
View Quote

This^ adhering to the "Two is one and one is none" adage I'd do at least 2 also.  If you get the standard military tourniquets (CATS) keep in mind the plastic windlass rod (the part you turn to make it tighter) CAN break.  I'd go for the metal ones if I was setting up my own personal IFAK.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mbpike:
So recently I've gotten the desire to get an IFAK kit, and learn how to use everything in it.  I've been looking at pre packaged kits and it's a lot to wade through when you don't really know the ins and outs like you fine ARFCOM members do.  

I'm wanting an IFAK that will fit into a double M4 mag pouch or something similar in size and not be extremely bulky.  I'm just wanting to carry the "basics".  Looking over some of the different kits, it appears that everyone has different ideas of what the basics are, but some of them do have over lapping products between them that make me think that's the real meat of the kits.  My question is what does the ARF medical forum think are the must haves in an IFAK while keeping the weight and size of the over all size down?

I know I need to learn how to use it also, I've been talking with my local EMT and Paramedic friends and they are giving me the basic run down on things.  I'm honestly looking for some type of class that I can attend that will give me the basic understanding and basic skill set that I need so I that I won't become more of a liability if I try to help someone.  So does anyone have any good training groups I can check out in the Arkansas / Texas area?
View Quote

You're describing the Direct Action Response Kit (DARK) from Dark Angel Medical, LLC.

Check out their classes.  They've been in your neck of the woods before.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Caleb Causey with Lone Star Medics is who you seek for training.  http://lonestarmedics.com  I recently took one of his courses and was very pleased with the material, instruction, and skills I gained.  He recommends at least 1 tourniquet, chest seal, and compression bandages in each IFAK at a minimum.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Cracker-MF, sounds like it's just what I need and a good price as well.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad I could help.  I took the course he recently did in Marietta, GA and I gained a lot of new information from the instruction.  Highly recommend his classes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:39:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1ipschoser] [#9]
Hey OP, not sure it will help, but here is a shot of my IFAK. The pouch is sold by Chinook Medical and the drop strap buckle mates to a buckle that rides under the rifle mag on my duty belt (plug and play, lol).

Contents:

• CAT TQ

• H Bandage

• Hyfin Chest Seals

• Gauze/Coflex

• Combat Gauze

• OPAs/NPA

• Space Blanket

• Shears/Gloves

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#10]
This might be obvious but if you decide to fill your own IFAK rather than purchasing a pre-made kit, one mistake to avoid is to remember that the IFAK is meant to save your life in the event of a traumatic injury.  It's not for bumps/bruises/scrapes and other minor injuries.  If you need it, everything should be organized and easily accessible.  See the above photo for ideas on that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:34:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 45FMJoe] [#11]

I was issued a tourniquet, gauze, shears, chest seals, gloves and an NPA. I think that's it. I need to get some Quickclot.

I agree with whoever said don't carry something you're not trained to use.

ETA - I have a Sharpie, wrap, and tape too.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#12]
2 CAT, Emergency Trauma Bandage, Elastic bandage, Combat Gauze, NPA, Chest seal, Trauma Shears and 3in tape. Everyone forgets the tape and its one of the most useful tools in a kit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Ymmv.
This is what I carry in a double mag pouches.

CAT ..shears..izzys.

Notch room for more.

I carry a 4 TQs

Hh gauze

Ace wrap

Izzys

Chest seals

Petroleum gauze

Decompression needle

4x4s

Magic marker

Shears

Hemostats

Gloves

Npa/opa

In a tear away ifak.

Going off memory.

But there's two TQs on my right. One on my belt..one more in the tear away.

But with each external TQS  (in a grenade or m4 pouch ) is a 4 inches izzys or HH gauze
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:
I was issued a tourniquet, gauze, shears, chest seals, gloves and an NPA. I think that's it. I need to get some Quickclot.

View Quote

I disagree, if you don't have the training maybe somebody next to you does but lacks the tools.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:45:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By underdogII:

I disagree, if you don't have the training maybe somebody next to you does but lacks the tools.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By underdogII:
Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:

I know that opinions on this matter differ, but I have always heard to have a fully stocked med kit in the event that someone comes to render aid but does not have the equipment. Slim chance, I agree, but better than nothing I would think.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#16]
My preference is the Dark Angel Med kits.

I like that they are vacuum packed for durability.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:20:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spookfish] [#17]
I have two IFAKs, one in a small pouch on my lower back, and then another as my pocket pack for civilian life.  

The first has:
- 2x Hyfins
- 1x NPA
- 2x Quick clot combat gauze
- 2x chest darts
-2x TQ within arms reach on my kit

The second:
-1x CAT Gen 7
-1x Combat gauze
-1x Chest dart
-1x chest seal

It's generally a good idea to have a more extensive medical kit nearby, these would only be to stop life threats until I can get to more definitive care/more of my gear. Make sure to get double of everything, one to practice with regularly, and the other to not touch and use as your actual kit. I generally just seal it in a ziplock myself, but I'm cheap and like to know how to get to my gear quickly with one hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top