Posted: 10/26/2023 11:48:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:17:22 AM EDT
[#1]
by an order of magnitude if not more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:54:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: XxSLASHERxX] [#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 4:03:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd bet 10 to 3 points from Expert to HM. Sharpshooter class has shrunk.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I tend to agree that shooting with the scope has made it much easier for both the newbie as well as keeping those of us past 45 in the game.

Newbies tend to show up with no background of irons in their childhood, so getting them to understand front sight focus is bypassed with the scope.

The middle aged and older cannot get the same close focus as we develop presbyopia and the scope helps with eye fatigue and keeps the target sharp at the same time.

Now, putting numbers on how much score improvement this makes is guesswork, but I tend to agree it is worth at least several points.

I know nobody wanted to hear it at the time but I still would have suggested creating a division for the scopes and keeping the irons separate, but I also supported the idea of keeping more folks in the game as being an overriding issue.

My sentiments were based on the concept we are all agreeing with, which is the iron sights were more challenging and the folks who ran them to DR deserved credit for doing it the hard way.

When they allowed optics on Highpower Palma, they don't compete in the same class as the irons.

By that same token, they never gave the credit due to those who ran the Garand versus, M14, versus, AR, so I don't push the concept of keeping irons and optics divisions any more either. That ship sailed.... Carry on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:04:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tangeant] [#5]
Not much overall. When I started shooting highpower in the mid 1990s HMs were shooting 780-90s with M1a, hardly see people shoot those scores with scoped ARs but there was alot more shooters back than..

For me I shoot better 600 with scope, better rapids with irons and about the same offhand so pretty much a wash.

Good iron shooters shoot good with scopes, bad iron shooters shoot bad with scopes.

I actually enjoy shooting irons but my old eyes don't.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By XxSLASHERxX:

Wish an old man luck!
View Quote

Good luck young man.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RegionRat:...so I don't push the concept of keeping irons and optics divisions any more either. That ship sailed.... Carry on.
View Quote

The thought was that the military have switched over to optics, so the military based Highpower competition should follow what military servicemen were using. Using the limited power 4.5 power scope was a good choice to keep optic costs down for new shooters. I'm OK with the current rules.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By tangeant:  I actually enjoy shooting irons but my old eyes don't.
View Quote

Me, too, I enjoy shooting iron sights.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:37:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Raised the cut for leg points at Perry about 10 points.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
View Quote
Someone on the Nat'l Match forum mentioned that attendance decline may share some cause.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
View Quote

But it hasn't raised the P100 cutoff, maybe 1-2 pts.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:01:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#12]
I'm going to start shooting matches again. I am a master with Iron sights.
I put together a new rifle with a White Oak DR scope.
Can't wait to get to the range! I'm 66 years old!
I have also ordered a new Creedmoor Hardback in OD Green.
Still have all my other High Power gear.
Wish an old man luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I'm going to start shooting matches again. I am a master with Iron sights.
I put together a new rifle with a White Oak DR scope.
Can't wait to get to the range! I'm 66 years old!
I have also ordered a new Creedmoor Hardback in OD Green.
Still have all my other High Power gear.
Wish an old man luck!

Originally Posted By tangeant:
For me I shoot better 600 with scope, better rapids with irons and about the same offhand so pretty much a wash.

Good iron shooters shoot good with scopes, bad iron shooters shoot bad with scopes.

I actually enjoy shooting irons but my old eyes don't.
Good luck, my man!

As my eyes went into the toilet the scope has helped immensely (especially at 600) ... but damn if I don't get nearly sea-sick off-hand.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Someone on the Nat'l Match forum mentioned that attendance decline may share some cause.
View Quote

Agree it's more to attendance.

The good side is a 10 pt hard leg shouldn't go cheap. You should earn it with a good score.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top