Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2018 10:14:51 AM EDT
I'm interested in a change of pace. I'm thinking I need a more active job that's outside more. Over a year in psych and I just feel like I have cabin fever. The 10 years before nursing I was a commercial lobsterman and before that, infantry.

I'm afraid I just don't have the medical needed to be taken seriously. I do have a couple years of heavy helo use from being in the Helo company on a MEU SOC and in deployment workups.

Are certificates needed up front? Or can they be gotten after highering?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending on what type of flying you’re talking about can change things.

Helicopter EMS systems look for 2-5 years of ICU/CCU/ER experience as you’re dealing with assorted drips, pumps,  IABP, etc on critical care transfers.  Usually require the RN to also be a Medic (take EMT and then challenge the Paramedic test), and have certificates up front.

Fixed wing tend to be a little more relaxed on this at least in my area and certainly can be acquired while working and as you gain experience in that subset, they’re better able to tailor the nurses to the flights they get than an EMS style service.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I'm interested in a change of pace. I'm thinking I need a more active job that's outside more. Over a year in psych and I just feel like I have cabin fever. The 10 years before nursing I was a commercial lobsterman and before that, infantry.

I'm afraid I just don't have the medical needed to be taken seriously. I do have a couple years of heavy helo use from being in the Helo company on a MEU SOC and in deployment workups.

Are certificates needed up front? Or can they be gotten after highering?
View Quote
From psych to flight? Isn’t that skipping an icu/er step, to say the least?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:

From psych to flight? Isn’t that skipping an icu/er step, to say the least?
View Quote
That's why I was asking. If I need to go ER first then I'll look in that direction first.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jcast141:
Depending on what type of flying you’re talking about can change things.

Helicopter EMS systems look for 2-5 years of ICU/CCU/ER experience as you’re dealing with assorted drips, pumps,  IABP, etc on critical care transfers.  Usually require the RN to also be a Medic (take EMT and then challenge the Paramedic test), and have certificates up front.

Fixed wing tend to be a little more relaxed on this at least in my area and certainly can be acquired while working and as you gain experience in that subset, they’re better able to tailor the nurses to the flights they get than an EMS style service.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#7]
You should become a certified CCT nurse if you want to do flight, which would likely require ICU and / or ER experience.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 2:29:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#9]
Originally Posted By AGW:
To add to whats already been said, not all ER or ICU experience is equal.  Flight companies will be looking for experience in level 1 centers, not critical access hospitals with 10-bed ERs and 8-bed "ICUs".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AGW:
To add to whats already been said, not all ER or ICU experience is equal.  Flight companies will be looking for experience in level 1 centers, not critical access hospitals with 10-bed ERs and 8-bed "ICUs".
I don't know about nursing but I know the medics have to show experience in a busy service, you could have 20 years field experience but if it isn't one with a large call volume it doesn't count.

ETA: From Air Evac's job listing for nurses:
Certifications /Skills

EMT Certification: must be maintained after acquired for employment.
• Arkansas requires prior to hire an Arkansas EMT Certification
• Illinois requires TNCC and or TNS within 6 months of hire date
• Tennessee requires TN EMT Certification within 12 months of hire date
• Texas requires EMT Certification within 90 days after first RN to EMT class after hire date
Advanced Certifications must be maintained for employment.
• CEN or CCRN or CFRN is required within 24 months from date of hire.
• Tennessee requires CEN or CCRN or CFRN within 12 months of hire date
• PHTLS or ITLS, NRP, BLS, ACLS, and PALS or PEPP completed prior to flight status and maintained for employment
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret health and flight-related journals, patient charts, and job specific legal documents
• Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community
• Ability to perform mathematical functions for drug calculations and age specific medication management
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
• Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables

Experience
• Three years of ER/Adult Critical Care Nursing experience
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone. Might take longer than I thought.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Like others have said get all the alphabet soup by your name u can get. Find a job in a busy ER and TSICU then ask the different services for applications good luck!
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I was an ICU and ER nurse.  If you have a family, don’t do flight.
Also, it used to be they took small female RNs to keep weight down. But my buddy was a flight RN and he is a big dude
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I am interested in going this route as well.

I will graduate nursing school this spring and I have gathered the following info concerning a flight job.(for southwest Ohio)

-BSN preferred
-2 to 5 years ICU/ER(for us, that means time in the trauma bay with really sick patients)
-paramedic with approval/licensing to work in Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio.
-fit the team

I have been asking a lot of people what I need to do...because I know I have time between graduation and earning a spot on a flight team...

And it seems to be similar info...get the paramedic done...get the ER/ICU time...and get to know the team.

Let me know how it goes for you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:
I was an ICU and ER nurse.  If you have a family, don’t do flight.
Also, it used to be they took small female RNs to keep weight down. But my buddy was a flight RN and he is a big dude
View Quote
I read that despite the tiny female tradition, today, they prefer someone who can lift patients without needing five other tiny nurses to help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top