Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2018 5:40:21 PM EDT
I shot my first Mid-Range match with the NightForce scope on a fresh WOA upper.

The match was all 600 yards with 3 strings of 20 shots for record. Wind was up to about 10 and fishtailing downrange.

Having recently shot the post sights in the last XTC match, and now comparing the 600 stage to the scope, I don't understand how these an be classified or grouped together.

I know the scope is only a 4x, and maybe someone with young eyes could say the post and scope run about the same for them, but I found it to be a big advantage.

While I agree it helps get people to stay in the game, it just seems to me that they should segregate the optics from the irons.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
"It'S JuSt lIKe aN RcO."

Did you use an accessory aperture?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:49:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I used the clear one.

I could sort of see the parallax was going to be an issue while I mounted the scope at home, but...

When I got to the range, I could really see the issue and was glad I had the disc installed.

I just loaded up some more SMK 80s to go test positions and set up my new Shot Marker e-target.

I had the chance to shoot the midrange so I went for it without being really prepared or practicing with the new rig.

The zeroing issue was easy, I just boresighted at 100 and came up 16 minutes. My first sighter was a 6 o’clock 7 and I went over to a 12 o’clock 9 on the second sighter.

At 4x, you can see well enough to see the spotter on the target and use slight favor for wind shifts.

I’ll go play with it some more and I also picked up one of the Hi-Lux scopes to try next. That one has a parallax focus so it should be interesting to compare the two scopes. You can get three of the Hi-Lux for what I paid for that NightForce.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:56:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#3]
How much parallax error would you have noticed?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, a scope is a huge advantage.  Never should have been combined with irons, as can be seen by the increases in match scores over the last 3 years or so.  It made the sport a lot easier, and effectively killed iron sight shooting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#5]
As evidenced by my sarcasm above, I think "commercial equivalent" would slow the divide.

TA01, TA11 (35mm obj, whatever), TA31, Vortex Spitfire 3x, Burris AR332, Primary Arms 3x, Nikon 3x32 (conventional, but compact; not as clear), tube style red dots. Height should be specified at 1.4" above rail minimum. No accessory aperture, except a BUIS.

ETA: why does no one make a 4x prism besides Trijicon?
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
How much parallax error would you have noticed?
View Quote
I'll take a measurement before the end of the month, with and without the aperture. I really wish this NightForce could have a parallax focus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top