User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2019 6:24:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck]
Deleted
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 6:29:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#1]
If only the barrel was a gain twist.

Got a longer cantilevered mount? That one's gonna force you to square up, and you'll need to squeeze the handguard or layer on gloves to fill the space between the HG and sling. Or drop in quad rails as a ghetto handstop.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 6:46:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#2]
Deleted
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice rig! Sounds like you have everything you need to get started in matches. I've only shot three so far but loving every aspect of SR
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:09:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#4]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARS24-7:

Excuse my ignorance, but why do most scoped service rifles have extended cantilever mounts? Is it so you can use a shorter "collapsable" stock and bring rifle in closer to your body? I'm sending back the leupold mount and looking at Aero mounts.
View Quote
A low, tight position forces nose-to-charging-handle which is a good index point for the head.

For reference, I'm 6'1", ~250lbs, moderate proportion with a belly.

Service Rifle Practice: Prone with Scope
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
A low, tight position forces nose-to-charging-handle which is a good index point for the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhBULe9GkE8
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

Excuse my ignorance, but why do most scoped service rifles have extended cantilever mounts? Is it so you can use a shorter "collapsable" stock and bring rifle in closer to your body? I'm sending back the leupold mount and looking at Aero mounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhBULe9GkE8
Thanks. May I ask what trigger are you running? I pulled my SSP and have an SSA curved bow inbound.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
That lower has an RRA NM trigger. My usual is an old DPMS NM trigger. The MBT-2S is nice, but I prefer the 2nd stage to be heavier than the first.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 6:26:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#8]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 6:55:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#9]
 I know that feel. Did similar today.

Here's a relative blooper:
You Know You're An Iron Sight Shooter When...
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 7:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#10]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I took it out to the range today to do a 200 yard zero. I fired two shots and walked down range, calculated 5 click up as I was walking back to my rifle. Raised range flag, got into the prone position and fired 10 shots. Walked back to the target and realized I didn’t crank it up 5 clicks .
At this point it was time to go home, so I made the adjustment and placed it in the bag.
Next time it’s fired will be on the 20th and an XTC match.
I also replace the trigger with an SSA that breaks just a tad over 4.5 pounds. And made a few other changes as well.

https://i.imgur.com/XCtsVuj.jpg
View Quote
Not to be a stick in the mud, but I believe the rules only allow mil-spec, standard charging handles for the service rifle.  I'm sure no one would care about the BCM handle in a local match, but if you ever do one of the larger matches someone might call you out on it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#12]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Yeah, think I read that someplace as well. I keep an extra everything in my range bag. Including an old mil spec handle. Local match I attended main concern was barrel length, magnification, and mostly the ability to safely put rounds on target.
View Quote
Good to hear!

Just wanted to give the heads up, just in case you do shoot one of the larger matches where they check those kind of things.  Hate to have you get turned away or disqualified over a charging handle!
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:51:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#14]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 6:00:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnfz6] [#15]

Thanks. What about B.A.D. Levers? Or those good to go? Or is there a legal better alternative? On prone slow fire it kinda sucked to have to break position each shot to press the bolt release.
View Quote
BAD levers are legal.  I'll have to re-read the rules, but I believe any of the extended levers, like the BAD, are fine, as long as there are no permanent modifications to the lower.

EDIT:  just looked up the CMP rules.  Rule 4.1.1 (b)

An extended bolt release is permitted
on both right and left-handed receivers, provided there are no permanent
alterations to upper or lower receivers.
i) Relieved (Milled/Cut) lowers are allowed, but the use of an extended
bolt release that requires a relief in the receiver is not permitted.
Extended bolt releases must be attached on the original
manufactured side of the lower receiver.

I don't know if the NRA rules are different.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 6:10:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#16]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Just did a quick look for the NRA rules, and all that they state, from what I have been able to find, Rule 3.1 (c), is simply that: An extended bolt release is permitted.

So I guess the NRA allows more options than the CMP.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 6:46:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#18]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 7:42:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#19]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#20]
How's it seem to fit?
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 8:13:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#21]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 8:41:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#22]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 8:29:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#23]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:35:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#24]
That's a Leupold Mark AR, not the VX4.5 correct? Does it have the SPR or duplex reticle?

Online they say 125 MOA travel, so 62 up from factory, minus whatever you used to zero. I would expect 16 minutes from a 100yd zero for 600yds (4.5mil?). It'll make it, it just won't be near the optical center where it might track truer and look better.

My 3x has 100 total and about 40 up remaining. Going 20 minutes up for a tall box test ran fine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:38:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#25]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds good. I'd learn the subtensions as a backup anyway.
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 11:13:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#27]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 5:10:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#28]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 8:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#29]
Alright. Baseline!

Which load? Wind conditions? And where do think the center of the groups were?

If you plotted shots in a data book, John or I could use OnTarget to approximately measure them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 8:54:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OldArmy] [#30]
Might I suggest the Larue MBT, since you're wanting a 2 stage trigger.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:05:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#31]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:09:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#32]
Deleted
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Shot my first match today with it.
100+ heat index with 60% humidity
No jacket but that’s next on my list
Rifle did an excellent job of sending rounds exactly where they were supposed to be.
The issue was definitely me. I couldn’t keep still for nothing.
It was so hot that I couldn’t wait until it was my turn to work the pit, only to find out the pit had about 6” of standing water which created a sauna. Overall had a great time and rifle definitely out shoots me.

200 yard slow standing
144/200

200 yard rapid sitting
180/200 w 2 x’s

300 yard rapid prone
161/200

600 yard slow prone
143/200 2 x’s

628 4 x’s
View Quote
Good job!

Hopefully for you this is only the beginning of many years of successful Highpower shooting!

Don't concern yourself too much with the scores, yet - everybody starts out at the bottom of the scoring sheet.

Get some good coaching if you can, or at least try to pick the brains of the more accomplished people you shoot with - this is one sport where you can never stop learning.  Use what works for you, and discard what doesn't.

Any questions, don't be afraid to ask them here - I know we have a few Master and High Master shooters here that will be more than willing to help out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like you had fun. It's a lot more difficult than some people think. I have a lot of respect for those out there who have persevered and can shoot this course well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 9:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#35]
Deleted
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 8:27:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#36]
Deleted
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Excuse my ignorance, but why do most scoped service rifles have extended cantilever mounts? Is it so you can use a shorter “collapsable” stock and bring rifle in closer to your body?
View Quote
Scope "forward" lets you have a more natural shooting position with nose to charging handle in all positions. This of course varies a little depending on your body type/arm length/neck length, etc..

99% of scoped AR's are shot off a bench which allows a far-back head position which is acceptable to your average AR owner. I also think most people mount the scope so far back because they're used to bolt action rifles where the scope is so far back in relation to the receiver (it looks "correct"). I've talked to people who are obsessed with the rear of the scope lining up perfectly with the charging handle, even though they can't give me one good reason it needs to be that way.

I'm pretty sure the average AR scope mounts are incorrect because that's what people buy, it's a case of manufactures giving people what they want instead of what works better. Then new AR owners see pictures of AR's with scopes to the rear and think it's correct, so they buy it, and the cycle repeats.

The best way to figure out where to put your scope, is with the scope off the rifle, get a natural position in prone, and mark where your eye is on the stock (straight down from your eye). Then set the rear of the scope x.xx" forward of that mark. x.xx" is determined by the eye relief of the scope manufacturer. That will get you real close to your most comfortable position. Comfort = repeatable = higher scores.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 12:49:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#38]
Deleted
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:53:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#39]
Deleted
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#40]
This is called the learning curve... don’t worry, you are learning...

Once you get all those mistakes out of your system, and it gets down to your actual shooting and wind calls, then things go faster.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:18:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun_Redneck] [#41]
Deleted
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#42]
The lenses need to be higher and forward; I've seen ear plugs and rubber bands used. One of those nostril-clearing bandaid looking things can help keep the pads from slipping. An ear piece strap as well, but bending my head down pulls the lenses into my eyebrows or eyes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top