Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2019 11:41:44 PM EDT
I've been wanting to check out this method but am not sure which info on the web is legitimate.

Any good websites or books to help me out?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Why?

CAR is to shooting what Ninja movies are to martial arts.

It's for fools and con artist trainers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought it'd be fun to see some legit info on it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 2:12:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wtturn] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GhostFish:
View Quote
That's like asking for legit info on homeopathic cures for cancer.

The legit info is that it's fraud.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GhostFish:
View Quote
You originally asked for the "best info on C.A.R."...

wtturn replied with, in all honesty, the BEST info on C.A.R. in BOTH of his replies to you.

You want "legit info" regarding an illegitimate shooting style?  Interesting...

Your silly quest on this endeavor should end right here.  But hey man, if you'd like to waste your time, keep on keepin' on!  I ain't losing sleep over it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Britbiker] [#5]
C.A.R is treated a bit like point shooting. People that do not understand or have not been trained in C.A.R it are prone to dismiss it out of hand.  Paul castle was nobody's fool and could out shoot and out fight most, using this technique. Is it good for everything? no. Does the technique have value? yes, especially for when moving and shooting at close range and engaging target to you off side.  Is it worth adding to your skills...You decide. Do not let the internet dictate what works for you and does not.

https://www.tactical-life.com/lifestyle/military-and-police/mean-street-gunfighting-system/

http://americanshootingjournal.com/john-wick-center-axis-relock/
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:01:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jandari] [#6]
Originally Posted By wtturn:
Why?

CAR is to shooting what Ninja movies are to martial arts.

It's for fools and con artist trainers.
View Quote
I did CAR training, UNDER Paul Castle himself, back in spring 2000.  It's idiotic.  Dont waste your time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:51:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeDevola] [#7]
It was a pointless gimmick invented to sell, sell, sell.

NO-GO.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
If your looking for material in fighting with a pistol try
Jeff coopers book
Reid Hendricks pistol craft
Or get some training

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 5:31:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#9]
It’s based on a system created for law enforcement by Paul Castle some time around the 70’s or early 80’s, or some time around there.  The premise behind it is that it’s faster in CQB circumstances, or when in confined spaces like a vehicle.  The problem is that “faster” is subjective, because it’s “faster” inside of 6 feet shooting distance according to Sabre Tactical, which is the training group that is still pedaling CAR.  SIX FEET.  Wow...six whole feet.   So no social distancing there then...  It’s also important to note that Sabre is one of a very few number of trainers that teaches CAR in the US.  There is a reason for this, and it’s because CAR is a dumpster fire of a shooting “system”.  Applicability of it is minimal at best, and the vast majority of non-Israeli people who teach it/train it are Fudds.  CAR made a short stint in LE, and then it was immediately flushed out.  No notable LE agency uses CAR.  No US military SOF unit uses CAR.  This includes CAG/Delta, who are generally regarded as among the best combat pistol shooters in the world.  Using CAR is like putting racing stripes and a spoiler on your Honda Civic LX and claiming they make it faster.  

CAR is used in Israeli pistol tactics. So what about the Israelis?  The use of CAR is designed to integrate with the use of Krav Maga.  That doesn’t make it justified as a viable shooting methodology, though, because a lot of Israeli shooting stuff is cringeworthy.  

As a large LE agency instructor, I have tested out a lot of “systems” ranging from CAR to Combat Focus/Rob Pincus to point shooting.  I’ve done a lot of different training and tried out different methodologies.  CAR has more limitations than it has advantages, and it’s to the point where it’s a law of diminishing returns for using it.  There are too many negatives to use it exclusively, or to spend any significant amount of time training on it.  The premise behind CAR as a shooting system is that it’s efficient in close quarters and facilitates weapon retention.  The problem is that it gets promoted as a whole shooting system that you should do a lot, and not as a situational tactic in the form of a ready position in a few select circumstances.  It also has no stress on accuracy, which is where a lot of “systems” fail.  

If you see how stupid Voda/Lucien Black looks, keep in mind that his tactics at their core are based on CAR.  That should be enough to tell you how questionable that garbage is.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By arNINJA15:
If your looking for material in fighting with a pistol try
Jeff coopers book
Reid Hendricks pistol craft
Or get some training

View Quote

I would add Andy Stanfords "Surgical Speed Shooting", or even Mas Ayoobs "Stessfire" as tried and true modern classics.

As far as arms-length distance retention shooting, I was taught the speed-rock, but have since evolved to using the Shivworks methods as taught by Craig Douglas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top