Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2013 10:07:47 PM EDT
Has anyone taken an Awerbuck shotgun class? Signed up for one later this summer and looking for any insight on what to expect.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
While I've not trained with him, several of my shooting buddies have. They each highly recommend him, especially on the shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I signed up for the shotgun II class in WV.  Although I havn't trained with him my understanding is that his course is similar to what Randy Cain does.  If that is the case then it will have strong Gunsite roots.  If I learn just some of what I learned through Randy's course it will be well worth it.  If you are going to the same course I will see you down there at the end of summer.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The class I will be attending is in MN in early August. Will a shell caddy suffice for extra shells? I'm wondering what I will need without to much gear involved.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My set up for classes is a shell caddy, a dump pouch, and a belt mounted kydex 4 shot holder.  Most of my loads come out of the dump pouch or the side saddle on the gun.  I rarely load from the caddy unless it is during a class competition.  The shell caddy is faster and less likely to result in feeding a shell in backwards but a dump pouch that will hold 25-35rds works out real nice during classes.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Had a class from him at Gunsite many years ago.  Great instructor.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 12:08:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#6]
Ive taken an 18 hour and a 24 hour course with Awerbuck. He's great.

You need a sling, weapon light and side saddle on your shotgun for his classes. Feed the shotgun from the side saddle and refill the side saddle from your beltpouches.

Know where your gun shoots with slugs before the class. if it doesnt shoot to point of aim then adjust your sights or try different slugs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I've taken it.  Great class with a great Instructor.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I got to Assistant Instruct with him for 3 weeks at Camp Pendleton in 2004 prior to the M1014 course being written. We took that shotgun to Iraq in 04-05 (POS in my opinion).

I met him at Gunsite a month earlier when a small group of my Marines and I attended 260 Shotgun (taught by Larry Landers and Kirk Scarborough). He is a very intense, passionate, humble, and experienced Instructor, truly a master of the shotgun platform. I learned MUCH from him!

He heavily favors the 870 and 590 platforms. His teaching focus is on mastering the basics and thinking before shooting. The man is an absolute genius and has a very twisted sense of humor.

I would recommend a basic 2 point sling and a dump pouch set up for ammo, nothing fancy. Electronic ears as well (he talks rather softly when not giving instruction or range commands).

My opinion is very biased. I would consider him a mentor and hero! Enjoy yourself and the class. The man has so much to teach!

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
He's a great instructor. Shotgun is his specialty.

I've taken his pistol training. I'd have taken more classes if it weren't for a competition that overlaps every year. He is quiet. He's cerebral.

Sling and light required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top