Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2019 2:08:16 AM EDT
Our club has been working hard on converting to electronic targets.

We spent time testing a few kinds and settled on Shot Marker.

There has been lots of learning curve. The target frames, the match flow, teaching new users how to run their position, etc.

Our club is a fixed firing line, so we have to have lots of hardware to cover all three pits for XTC, plus we shoot MR and 1000.

The slow fire strings are working very well now, but we still need work on the rapids. In the rapid strings, there are still some glitches.

Are your clubs converting?

What system are you using?

How well are the rapids working?

What's your opinion of the use of electronic targets in general?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 2:26:43 AM EDT
[#1]
This idea is terrible
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 2:43:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm 0-1. Still distrusting of the current state of reliability, but hopeful.

I went to the 2018 OKC Games EIC, leery, but curious. The 25mph gusts made the KTS crap out at the end of the team match when I arrived.

I like the tradition of walking to and from the pits, and seeing the targets go up and down. I'd also like to not deal with paster supply, falling discs, crappy chalk erasers, slow pit service, etc. Getting a printout or download of my groups like Orion does for smallbore would be a plus.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 2:51:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
This idea is terrible
View Quote
I disagree. There will be teething pains, but when the bugs are worked out it will be great. Most of the “bugs” will be developing things like setup/takedown procedures, retrofitting frames, and learning how to calibrate and run the administration via software. The technology itself is very solid at this point.

With those things sorted out a 6 hour xtc Match turns into a 3 hour match. That will be great for the sport. It will be efficient and more people will be willing to participate.

My local high power range is converting to Shotmarker. I can’t wait.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#4]
we have them at my club and the members love them for practice as no more pit duty.  as long as you have a good transmitting signal they are working fine at 600 yards for us.  I don't know how they are in a match as I haven't shot a match yet with them.

The need to be tested and calibrated then its GTG.  Very important to not have clumsy people bump the microphones or move them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#5]
One pointer I can offer in addition to the clumsy people observation...

On the ground under the target carriers, there was enough magnetic debris in the form of staples plus other junk... that on one occasion I found that the lower microphone magnetic bases were picking up debris and caused at least one interruption in an experimental match.

When the 600 yard targets are mounted, the upper microphones are mounted with the target on the ground, then raised into the carrier before mounting the lower microphones and sensor hub. That is the opportunity for magnetic debris to sneak into play. I will have to bring a large magnet and sweep up all the staples and junk that might get in between the microphones and the bases.

On another occasion, on the second day of a very windy two day match, we decided to pull off all the stapled repair centers since the wind was inflating them from behind and tearing at the staples. In the pandemonium to rip off all those repair centers, somebody bumped into a cable and slightly pulled it from a jack.

Lesson learned, it is better to double check everything before leaving the pits. BTW, that target continued to work on 3 of the 4 sensors, even though it flashed us warnings.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:40:30 AM EDT
[#6]
here in Phoenix, many of the prone/F-class Long Range shooters have been buying or teaming up to buy them when they got down below $4000. This year they got down below $1000 that's the threshold of pain for most of us so its not uncommon now to have an all electronic prone/F 1000yd shoot at Ben Avery with 10 or 15 of the targets set up (and a dozen more frames in the pit shed owned by guys who didn't who up that day). Most are the more complex silver mountain (pre-Solo) that allows networking and pair firing etc.

I got the Solo. 200yd XTC practices have been 100% shots recorded and reported where I think they went.

I shot a Palma on it with no obvious issues 100% shots reported, but the guy next to me was getting  a ghost shot almost every other shot from the guy on the other side.

I and another guy on the other relay shot a 600yd prone on a windy day on it and got a bunch of shots (4 or 5) not-reported and a bunch (like 4 or 5 shots) that were reported as 6 at 8:00 that were really (looking at the paper later) 8 at 10:00

I don't think any of our 3 local clubs have bought e-targets as club property to permanently mount.

Poole
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 3:14:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Our club uses the Silver Mountain targets, for the last 3 (or 4?) years.  The first few matches there some weird shit with them, mostly missed shots.

The last coupe of years have been close to flawless.  We make up a ton of time to the point where we'll be running a 50 round XTC match after the 3x1000 matches.

I hope I never pull a paper target again, I love these things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top