Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2015 1:32:45 AM EDT

Hey y'all i need your advice.

I got a Glock 19, it just barely fits my hand. I did the trigger undercut mod and it fits that much better. However i have noticed when i rush to insert a fresh mag the palm of my hand gets pinched between the bottom of the gun grip and top of the floor plate. I went to SK Arms here in Odessa and purchased a Zev Pro Compact Magwell. The gun feels so much more comfortable in my hand now and fits way better. The concern i have with this is i cant really pinch the bottom of the mag out if it ever does not drop freely.

Here are a few choices im looking at

1: Go to a 17, cons are it will be that much bigger, that much more to conceal but will fit my hand perfectly.

2: Use 17 mags in my 19, cons are i "think" it will cause issues with mag over insertion since the bottom of grip wont make contact with base plate.

3: Keep as is with magwell, use the new Pmags, with that GL-L plate hoping it will add that little extra to be able to yank mag out in case it does not drop freely.

I would greatly appreciate any input or advice on this.

IWB Kydex holster + mag holders should be here monday, that coming saturday i will be taking the CHL class. I feel it is now my duty to be ready for the crap thats going down nowadays

Thanks a ton folks hope to hear from you soon.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock magazines have an over-insertion stop built in to the magazine, the baseplate does not provide that function.

Much of your post falls into the category of "overthinking".
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
Glock magazines have an over-insertion stop built in to the magazine, the baseplate does not provide that function.

Much of your post falls into the category of "overthinking".
View Quote

Unfortunately this.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discard the magwell. This solves the mag drop problem.

Administratively load the 15 rounder and carry that way.

Carry 17 round mags for backup. This solves the pinching problem.

As noted above, over insertion is moot with the Glock design.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By feudist:

View Quote

Whats your opinion as far as carrying a 17 instead of a19?

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Pain505:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Just depends on how you are going to carry.  A 17 is bigger and thus will be a little harder to conceal.  If you OC, or have the body and garmets to effectively conceal a 17, go with a 17.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:27:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: feudist] [#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

The 19 is slightly more convenient.

The 17 is slightly more shootable.

I really wouldn't trade one for the other(having had several of each over the last 30 years.)

edit

It's a half inch +/- on each end.

If you can conceal a 19, you can conceal a 17.

Both require proper holsters/garments.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Appreciate the advice and info folks, helping out more than you know.

I will be carrying it at the 4 o'clock position, with a NSR Tactical C2 holster. What i will do is once i get the holster, try out the 19 for a week or 2, see if i can get my hands on a 17 in store or if i find a buddy with one and see how that feels on my body real quick and go from there. Im leaning heavily towards that 17 though. I just that it to feel great in my hand. I will be removing the magwell from my 19 right now though
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The cheapest, simplest, answer was/is carry G19 mag in, G17 spare.  Solves both problems for no cost.  Since you have the magwell already, if you aren't having problems with mags dropping free, I would just leave it as-is. You won't need more than 15+1 in 99.9% of gunfights and if you have a mag problem it would be that it isn't fully inserted.  Well, if empties are dropping free a full one not inserted is gonna come out easy (or the tap-rack cures it).  If it fell the F&*@ out, slam in the -17 spare and continue the fight!
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 2:44:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By strambo:
The cheapest, simplest, answer was/is carry G19 mag in, G17 spare.  Solves both problems for no cost.  Since you have the magwell already, if you aren't having problems with mags dropping free, I would just leave it as-is. You won't need more than 15+1 in 99.9% of gunfights and if you have a mag problem it would be that it isn't fully inserted.  Well, if empties are dropping free a full one not inserted is gonna come out easy (or the tap-rack cures it).  If it fell the F&*@ out, slam in the -17 spare and continue the fight!
View Quote

This right here
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:13:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep, that one.  I'd say stick with your 19, don't sweat every detail, put a couple thousand rounds through it and see how it works for you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know a lot about glock mods.

You say you like the mag well extension.... How about this?

You don't appear to be afraid to take a dremel to it. What about dremeling a half scallop, at least in the heel of the extension? Front and back, I bet you could pinch it then, but still keep your meathooks clear during mag changes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top