Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2016 1:40:21 AM EDT
i haven't started a thread in this forum since last Easter, so i'll share a bit about ranging in the dark.

i posted a video to youtube that shows what the Silencerco Radius looks like through a PVS-27 in continuous ranging mode.   apologies for the quality, as video was taken via iphone with me just kinda holding it in front of the scope.  focus and gain aren't the best i've ever done either.  but you can still get the idea.  

The LRF is pointed at a plate rack and the plates are 12" 10" 8" 6"  (I shot the 4" one off again) and the distance is ballpark 350 yards.  
So when the specs say the beam divergence is 0.5 x 1.5 (or 1.85) mil...   now, i'm no math major but that ought to be about half again to twice the width of the 12" plate on the left in the video.  that's not really what it looks like to me, but may just be bloom or something.

here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgPsvmr3Tio

here's the setup i used:

and a couple exciting pics of targets...   i shot the rack twice and then missed the 6" plate (pretty sure I was over it)  then backed up to 545 or so and shot them again.  Then shot the ipsc (visible in video, 2 oclock from plate rack) then the square (10:30 from plate rack) from 615 yards.   wind was unusually strong, but at my back, which is good because it didn't push me more than a couple of inches to either side past 600 and it kept the cows bedded down.  since you have no peripheral vision when using NV, it's pretty easy for those buggers to surprise you walking into your FOV.  

because it's QD and you can use the laser to aim the Radius at night instead of zeroing it with the reticle, you can also easily move it from the gun to a spotting scope assuming it has NV and a pic rail without worrying about it being zeroed on the spotting scope.  this is a really effective setup if you've got a buddy.

btw, i ranged all those targets repeatedly in the middle of the afternoon with the Radius and the PLRF10c and every time the Radius read one yard different.  I thought that was odd until i realized i was ranging with the PLRF from behind the gun, and the Radius is about 2 feet forward on the front of the scope.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 2:35:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like an amazing setup.

A few questions:

1) What mount are you using to hold the (what looks like) Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 4.5-27x56?
2) How well does the Radius pick up soft targets within 1000 yards?  With the laser, it looks like it would work well against reflective material as shown in the video; I am wondering how it would range against small and large game or human silhouette?
3) Any issues manipulating the front turn knob of the scope (if having to pop it up to turn) with the Radius on it?
4) The Radius's QD mount - does it hold it's zero that can be trusted on a 1000 yard rifle?

Thank you!
Mike
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
1. spuhr 4002   it's a great mount, but a little expensive.  i got it off a PRS prize table thanks to mile high shooting

2. works great.  inside 1000, works as well as as my PLRF10c.   if you look at most other LRFs, the beams are even larger.  so getting small game or small steel targets is always tricky with any of them. if i'm concerned about it, i will usually try to lase the hill behind it or some grass at the base of the target or whatever and see if i get different distances.   one of the advantages of the radius is it gives you the 3 strongest targets all at the same time (instead of waiting one after another on the PLRF) so it's fast and easy to tell, if for example, the hill or grass behind the target is more reflective than the target.

3. if you're talking about the big horizontal dial under the radius for elevation, i'm not super fond of it, but it works well enough.   keep in mind the beam divergence is .4 mil vertical, so it's not like you need to hold .1 mil or anything.  even if the zero wanders .2 mil, you're still hitting the target and everything around it.    if you're talking about the elevation knob on the scope, it's a little close, but hasn't been a problem.

4. see above.    i will say their mounting system is kind of loose.  because the springs are external there you can feel it move with hand pressure very easily.  when you let go it mostly goes back to within about .1 or .2.   this is based on the aiming laser dot on the reflective target they provide for zeroing.   even if you bump it, and see the red laser move on the paper quite a bit, it's not enough to put you off a target because of the beam divergence

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for this OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top