Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 5:56:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
no exp with that rifle, have been around the 30-378.  extremely fast, and flat shooting.  look the load data up. I personally wouldn't put on the back burner.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 4:47:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I've pulled the trigger a couple of times on that round/rifle. Recoil was far less than I expected. 180 gr bullets IIRC.  I've always liked the idea of Weatherby's and their rifles but I'm kinda goofy that way and would love to own something from them someday. Since you have some big ass open spaces where you live it would be fun to actually see how far you can stretch the legs on that bad boy.  My guess is somewhere north of 1800 yards.......for target purposes only and you will need some good glass to pull that off.

For me the issue was (and still is) it is an EXPENSIVE round to buy and/or load. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]

I you can expect about 3400 to 3500 fps with a 180Gr such as the Barnes TTSX

I would not run any bullets such as Ballistic tips, and even the bonded core type . I have personally seen the Accubonds shed weight and recovered

I have never recovered a Barnes TTSX out of game driven out of 30-378

Needless to say the 30-378 is insanely flat shooting

As far as range goes, its a loaded question....I can easily make hits out to 500 yards but I find that the Accumark just doesn't have the accuracy as my TRG-42 , which is why I now use the TRG ( 338 Lapua ) as my big game rifle for Western Canada hunting . I have personally not shot anything further than 550 yards with it

My go to powders have always been Hodgdon  Retumbo and 50 BMG .

Stick with the Norma made Weatherby brass .

I always do load development with the Accubrake but take it off for hunting .  Don't care how manley you are .....when you are burning 120 Gr of powder and driving a 180 Gr @ 3500 it will hurt
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm working on a 338 Lapua Improved project that required the removal of my 30-378 barrel from my Mark V. Only fired 1 shot through it.
Hopefully, Bartlein will be done around January with it. If you're interested in a spare barrel, I will sell it as soon as I get it back. PM if interested. Also have a couple of boxes of ammo too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Recoil is magnificent. Most rifles chambered in it were hunting guns when I was playing with it which meant the rifles were pretty light for what they were and were unpleasant at best to shoot. Barrel life can be horrifyingly short. Like 600 rounds short (depending on what you're requiring of your barrel). When I say that recoil is magnificent I mean it too. Right at the upper limit of human tolerance. Being able to launch 180's at 62gn .223 velocities is pretty epic. That's the upside.

The downside: You shouldn't really use it for anything but target practice most places. Or at least shouldn't. If you're within a couple hundred yards of your target animal it's going to experience substantial meat damage unless it's a brachiosaurid. An elk or moose would be a better size of target than say a deer or black bear but even on those it's pretty destructive up close. Bullets have to be tough, shooters have to be tougher.

If I recall correctly Roy was trying to hit 5K fps for some military purpose. Turning the thing into a sporting round was probably more related to the .300rum being released than with any practical utility of the ..30-378 itself. Just a big swinging cawk contest..
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crashburnrepeat] [#7]
Local guy is running a Christiansen carbon 30-378 with a very effective muzzle brake, it recoiled like a .308 and the guy claimed a 6"drop at 600.

Very interesting gun but I bet those barrels burn out quick
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a semi-retarded friend who if he hears someone talking about something or reads about something he has to have it. So about 5 years ago he got a weatherby 30-378.

He hunts whitetail in PA and longest shot would likely be under 200 yds where he hunts

I was digging around for ammo cans at his PA house last week and found a couple boxes of rounds. The price tag on the 20 round boxes was $128
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 30/378 Accumark.  It was a shooter until I burned the barrel out.   Took approximately 1000 rounds and then all of a sudden it was toast.  With the brake, it is loud but recoil is very light.  Long range shooting is fun with it.   I will likely rebarrel it to the same caliber but am playing with going with a 338 Edge or 338/378.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:30:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: only1asterisk] [#10]
You pull the trigger, then:

Muzzle blast so bad it broke my .gif.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top