Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2018 9:02:01 PM EDT
I got to take Garrick and Shannon from Red Frog Team on a sage rat and long range shooting trip near Silver Lake, Oregon. Garrick is a retired Navy SEAL with 20+ deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, and now runs a tactical training company with Shannon. Day 1 we warmed up with sage rats and some 1200 yard shooting across the alfalfa pivot. Day 2 we went early hoping to get a badger (saw one driving in, but rifle not ready...lesson learned). Shot some rats, then backed up and started shooting a mile with a 6.5 Creedmoor (70 moa of elevation). Shannon bested us all with 5 out of 10 at a mile with a stiff tail wind on a man-sized steel silhouette. We were impressed.

Great way to celebrate Independence Day.

Here's my blog post with more about the outing:
https://sageratsafaris.com/2018/07/12/red-frog-outing-sage-rats-and-long-range-precision-rifle-in-silver-lake-oregon/
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You've got it figured out OP. I bet you had fun

How did the 6.5C do at one mile? Do you think having the wind in your favor helped a lot? Typically you hear more 1000-1200 range reports but 1,700+ is a different animal. I assume you were shooting hand loads?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool OP.

........and what the hell is a sage rat
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
You've got it figured out OP. I bet you had fun

How did the 6.5C do at one mile? Do you think having the wind in your favor helped a lot? Typically you hear more 1000-1200 range reports but 1,700+ is a different animal. I assume you were shooting hand loads?
View Quote
We had a great time.

At a mile, Shannon's 5 out of 10 is the best we've ever done. Usually it's more like 10% to 30% hit rate. It's still supersonic at a mile (in our atmospherics), but getting the wind left/right can be a crapshoot. The tail wind may have saved us a few clicks, but the key was that it was straight to the target. If you need to hold more than 6 or 7 minutes left or right, expect to miss 95%. At 1200, we can reliably hit the target. At 1500, hit falls to about 50%, even with little wind (predictably, missing left and right is the main issue). At a mile, you can hit the target if you shoot at it enough. Targets are 20"X40" steel silhouettes.

I am a reloader, but we were shooting factory Hornady 147gr ELDM.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
........and what the hell is a sage rat
View Quote
A sage rat is the common name for Belding's ground squirrel. Picture a 9-inch prairie dog. Agricultural pest that digs holes, eats/buries crop, and attracts badgers that dig really big holes. A single alfalfa pivot in the Oregon high desert can be infested with tens of thousands of ground squirrels. Idaho has a similar pest, Townsend's ground squirrel, aka whistle pigs.

https://sageratsafaris.com/2017/03/11/about-sage-rats-beldings-ground-squirrel/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top