Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2018 8:44:22 PM EDT
We(wife&myself), have a new spot to kill coyote.
The problem is going through a chain link fence,so do you guys have any insight?
I know the deflation changes as the angle....
The property is very large(golf course) , do you shoot threw and ask for forgiveness?
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Deflation changes as the angle?
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Does it make your rounds deflate ?
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
Deflation changes as the angle?
View Quote
l
OK, angle off the fence.
Meaning 90· square, or a 45· offset,
yes it does at the angle you shoot....
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
How hard is it?
Walk by a chain link fence, and see how your opening changes..
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I can tell you from doing a little recreational occluded target work that for anything between you and your target, if you can see it, you will shoot it.

Often.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks,
Deciding on.223 or the 6.5 gren.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:51:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#7]
1) When you say "deflation", do you actually mean to say "deflection"?

2) In my neck of the woods, if you shoot thru a chain link fence onto private property (like a golf course where people occasionally walk or drive carts around unannounced) without permission of the owner, you will likely attract unwanted attention from local law enforcement professionals.  You will probably be asking the Judge for forgiveness at your arraignment...    ...and he or she might not grant your request...
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#8]
If you think you have any reason to ask forgiveness for something, you do not have a new spot to hunt.

I would think very carefully about what you do next, but it sounds to me like round deflection should probably not be your biggest concern.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Shooting through a fence? Am I reading that right? Is the muzzle protruding through the links or are you a good distance from the fence?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
"The property is very large(golf course) , do you shoot threw and ask for forgiveness?"
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#11]
If you try to shoot through the fence and the round actually hits the chain link the deflection is not going to be predictable. I would suggest another shooting position that avoids the fence so you aren't damaging property while educating your target animals.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#12]
So, you plan to shoot a coyote, through a chain link fence on somebody else's property?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:25:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: right_rudder] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trails-end:
So, you plan to shoot a coyote, through a chain link fence on somebody else's property?
View Quote
That's the impression I got.
OP, might I suggest a 338 or 300WM on the small side, much less deflection if you manage (likely) to hit the link on the fence.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't do it
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Just from the ballistic side if you are shooting through an opening down range (loophole) you will need to calculate for it or use a ballistic calculator to get your brackets. With a little practice you can do it easily. I use it a lot to shoot through vegetation, trees and yes chain link fences. If the distance is great enough you have to allow for both the horizontal and vertical aspect of the flight path. The way I work it is after I have my loophole calculated say 1.2 mills high and .3 left you just look at that point in your reticle and determine if anything is going to interfere. I’ve had to do multiple loopholes in a single shot like the billet will pass under one limb at 50 yards and over another at 300
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#16]
How far are you going to be from the fence? I stick my barrel through chain link and let the weight of the rifle rest on the folded bipod feet.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Anecdotal- when I shoot from our elevated driveway through three strands of slick wire electric fence, I hit a strand of wire about 33% of the time.  

CHRIS
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#18]
it's just like golfers hitting a ball through a tree. Remember the tree is 90% air. Though you will absolutely hit it.

And you should not be shooting at a thing or place you don't have permission or a right to.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#19]
deflection
through

You do not shoot through fences. 1, it's stupid. 2, it can easily land you in hot water. 3, it's stupid.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#20]
For a coyote I wouldn’t unless the owner was all for it in the quest of killing coyotes.   That leaves the question of will it slip through on luck and miss the wires or will it clip a wire and go wild?   If it is still a go to shoot through the fence the critter better be within a couple feet of the fence or a deflected shot will not be effective due to altered trajectory or a varmint bullet coming apart.

For shooting a two legged threat to me, pump the rounds until the target is no longer a threat.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top