Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2020 1:16:54 AM EDT
I want to start shooting some rifle matches.  I have shot a ton of service rifle and a few high power matches and they are OK, but very structured and, well, boring.  I "discovered" PRS last year, managed to get to 2 matches, (both "introduction" style), and I realized that my equipment was woefully inadequate to the task.  I brought a single shot 308 with fixed power glass to one, with no provision for carrying ammo, and an AR pattern 308 gas gun with an 8-40x benchrest scope and only 25 round pmags to the other.  No bags, service rifle style slings, no bipod, I was a hot mess.  OOf.  
With those failures under my belt, like any good nerd, I went to Google and youtube, watched some videos, and started buying gear.  The COVID hit and hucked all of my plans out the window.  Some matches were cancelled, I had to give up some due to work commitments, others were on the same day as other matches due to rescheduling, I even suffered a minor sports injury...its been a dumpster fire of a year.  Full disclosure: 3 gun is my passion but I shoot everything from Trap to Steel Challenge to USPSA, tactical shotgun, bullseye league, even the occasional IDPA and 2 gun tactical match (but dont tell anyone about those).  

So, I now have a couple of suitable rifles, with suitable scopes, in suitable calibers  (a 308 and a matched .22), with plenty of 10 round mags for each.  I have Strelok, bipods, , match ammo (ish), Magnetospeed, QR slings and bags and even a semi-suitable tripod .   What I don't have is any real experience or guidance.  I need to figure out how to practice with only a 100y range to work with, WHAT to practice, and start going to matches.  I have watched youtube til my eyes bugged, but you can only learn so much with videos.  Actually, If I could find a local battle buddy to help show me the ropes, that would be awesome.  

Specifically, I want to build a prop or two to practice off of, but they have to be space efficient and portable because I cant leave them at the range.  This probably means no tank trap, but certainly I can come up with something.  Also, I had the idea of using Aguila Colibri in the .22 at 100y with very small targets to get experience and used to dialing and holdovers, but I havent tried it so I don't know if it will work.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 9:42:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If your range will allow it, bring a ladder and practice moving between rungs.  That is a really easy way to practice different stances, heights, etc.

As for finding somebody to show you the ropes, that's best.  Start Googling and see if there are any local clubs or even call some gun shops and ask them.  Best bet is probably to find the closest range that goes out to 600 yards or more and call them and ask because that is where the matches will be held.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The closest range(s) that has this style matches that I can find are 150-190 miles in any of 3 directions  Unfortunately I am in Illinois and they don't like shooters here so I mostly have to go to Indiana or Missouri.  

As far as the my local range, I only have 100 yards, but I could set up most any prop I wanted as long as I could take it with me and I wasnt bothering other shooters.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top