Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2015 3:17:44 AM EDT
Have any of you tried this?
Crye Ghillie

I'm sure it does not work as well as a traditional ghillie, but it is kind of cool in concept (mostly the compactness and the weight).

Of course it works great in Crye's pictures, but I was wondering if anybody had any real-world experience with it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Didn't a company called Tactical Concealment make something similar years ago?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]
NO CAPES!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
Didn't a company called Tactical Concealment make something similar years ago?
View Quote

Yes, but the Tactical Concealment hood and this are not really apples and apples. The TC hood is meant to be a base for an actual ghillie. It works great and I like mine, but I do not carry it all the time because it is bulky and a little heavy once you add burlap. This is meant to be a stand-alone hood and folds down to the size of a baseball.

Any opinions on the CRYE hood?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The fact it rolls up to a baseball size package is definitely an advantage over the TC.  I had one years and years ago, and you're right, it was bulky, especially once you filled it out with jute or burlap.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#5]
Mossy Oak had some similar 3D-flage almost 20 years ago, we used it turkey hunting for a while.
They still make similar shirts, pants, hoods etc

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I handled it at SHOT.  It offers a temporary solution that leans heavily on the compact side, but will tear and degrade rapidly.  Coming from Crye, I was disappointed.

Making a durable, extreme lightweight Ghillie top is not rocket science, especially with the materials available nowadays.

As to the Tactical Concealment hoods, there is zero reason to jute them up heavily, or any Ghillie for that matter. It looks cool in the movies, but sucks in reality.

Have a platform that supports attaching natural veg from the area you are working in, then set it up with your partner once in the area.  Shed the garbage when you'r done, repeat.

SIZE is one of the key factors in camouflage.  If you look like Chewbacca, you aren't doing anyone any favors except those who are looking for you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#7]
For the money, I personally would get the Tactical Concealment Mosquito Viper in A-TACS, and add synthetic veg to it for the season you plan to use it.  The Mosquito Viper has a mosquito net base, but is constructed better.  I am making modifications to my Viper Hoods that will eliminate the snag potential of the 550 grid, without removing it, and will be sharing it with Tactical Concealment for production consideration.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Those Mossy Oak suits are even more durable than the Crye hood, and have been used operationally for surveillance by units you will never hear about.  They are great for static surveillance and some point target recce.  The leaf pattern on the Mossy Oak civvy suit is one of the better synthetic leaf patterns that doesn't repeat to the eye like synthetic army camo netting does.  The Crye suit basically duplicates the recognizable army camo netting, but with a Multicam pattern rather than green and brown.

When I was in LRS, there was a very dialed-in Team Leader who made the best mesh Ghillie I have ever seen from scratch, using duck decoy mesh bag material, netting, parachute nylon, acrylic paints, 550 cord, slide locks, OD green binding tape, webbing, Fastex, and very professional sewing.  He had a dry leaf suit and a green leaf suit, complete with hoods, boot covers, and hand covers that made you disappear in the season it was intended for.

I have yet to see a product that approaches what he was able to achieve, but the Tactical Concealment Viper Hoods would be the closest.  I have one of his tops somewhere that I still need to finish.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Where does one find those mossy oak suits looking at that and the crye hood gives me an idea
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not sure, but I think you can get them at Cabelas and probably any of their competitors.

LRRP, thanks for chiming in. Sounds like this is something to steer clear of.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:10:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not saying to stay clear of it, but the flimsy nature of the camo net on it turned me away personally when I felt it.  I knew right away that it would be damaged during normal use just walking through anything thick.

For people with more money than sense, and a short mission profile, I still would lean to the TC Mosquito system.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:29:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Good gouge, too bad to hear it's so flimsy.  It's description does lend toward a very specific use; though it'd be nice if it was designed to last.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#14]
ITS did  a really nice write up on a DIY ghillie for like $50 just a few weeks ago.

Since I only do my sniping from the door of the space shuttle I've never had a desire to own a ghilli. That being said, unless it states in large bold letters that the material in the suit are fire resistant I'm not going anywhere near one of those things.

Crye is a gret company and I bet there is some resistant material built in there, but if you've never seen what melted nylon and polyster does to the human body I'd be happy to share some pictures. I much rather be dead.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:53:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I was frankly expecting worse regarding the photos.

Crye often loves taking full advantage of color adjustment in photography.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:56:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Those Mossy Oak suits are even more durable than the Crye hood, and have been used operationally for surveillance by units you will never hear about.  They are great for static surveillance and some point target recce.  The leaf pattern on the Mossy Oak civvy suit is one of the better synthetic leaf patterns that doesn't repeat to the eye like synthetic army camo netting does.  The Crye suit basically duplicates the recognizable army camo netting, but with a Multicam pattern rather than green and brown.

When I was in LRS, there was a very dialed-in Team Leader who made the best mesh Ghillie I have ever seen from scratch, using duck decoy mesh bag material, netting, parachute nylon, acrylic paints, 550 cord, slide locks, OD green binding tape, webbing, Fastex, and very professional sewing.  He had a dry leaf suit and a green leaf suit, complete with hoods, boot covers, and hand covers that made you disappear in the season it was intended for.

View Quote

20 years ago I'd have said such a product wouldn't be marketable, because of the necessary price point.

These days, I bet he could make a pretty good profit selling something like that custom to the airsoft crowd for well over a grand each. Might still not be worth the labor, though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 5:40:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#17]
I have a ghostsuit stuffable 3d poncho that deploys from a waist pouch

it has held up well

Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:03:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: supertac] [#18]
May want to check out Treadswift's LWAG if you haven't already.

LWAG Link
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#19]
holy zombie thread, batman
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Pretty much any thread in the fieldcraft section is going to be old. :D
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I made my own from scratch.  I found everything I needed on rockywoods.com minus the jute and garnish.  I used synthetic jute, which is way lighter.  It takes a lot more work to get synthetic to look good, but IMHO it was worth the weight savings.  I can roll the whole thing up to about the size of a rolled up sweatshirt and it fits in my 3 day pack with my tripd, spotting scope, and my hide making equipment.

Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mark95turbo:
I made my own from scratch.  I found everything I needed on rockywoods.com minus the jute and garnish.  I used synthetic jute, which is way lighter.  It takes a lot more work to get synthetic to look good, but IMHO it was worth the weight savings.  I can roll the whole thing up to about the size of a rolled up sweatshirt and it fits in my 3 day pack with my tripd, spotting scope, and my hide making equipment.

http://i63.tinypic.com/ieil8h.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/27zkf9t.jpg
View Quote
That actually looks great.

Which MC fabric did you use?

Nice little hood.

I stuff them into one of their own sleeves.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

That actually looks great.

Which MC fabric did you use?

Nice little hood.

I stuff them into one of their own sleeves.
View Quote
I actually use operational camo pattern for the base. All of the webbing elastic etc is MC though. OCP is the Army’s rip-off we’re not paying your royalties copy cat version of MC. Lol

http://rockywoods.com/NyCo-Fabric-W2
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I order from Rockywoods all the time, just looked like one of the coated nylon fabrics in your pics.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By supertac:
May want to check out Treadswift's LWAG if you haven't already.

LWAG Link
View Quote
That’s an interesting find
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Multi-G:

That’s an interesting find
View Quote
I was able to see it in person last year. Seemed like a solid piece of kit; top quality and designed/used by a Recondo/SS active contractor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#27]
So, oddly enough my son decided that he want's a ghillie hood, he's 8 go figure. LOL, anyways, I was thinking of making one from scratch like you did for inexpensive.

I ended up finding pretty close to what you made off of Amazon, of course, it's made in China, probably won't stand up to a whole heck of a lot of abuse. Well you know, for 40$ and an 8 yo, can't be beat, probably the same cost as I could source the fabric and it's already cut and sewn.

So I ordered one for him. Taking a look at it, the cord isn't 550, not sure what it is, all the sew points on the cord looks like just three stitches. I think that it could be an inexpensive starting point to be honest.

I might end up posting a pic or two post garnish.

Amazon Ghillie
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Interesting, keep us posted.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I actually bought one of those. The base material was made from a khaki material. The base material literally disintegrated during the weathering process. So I bought some ripstop and webbing and made my own. With that being said. It should last okay for an 8 year old.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By mark95turbo:

http://i63.tinypic.com/ieil8h.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/27zkf9t.jpg
View Quote
Source for Synthetic jute?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:56:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mark95turbo] [#31]
Originally Posted By benb:

Source for Synthetic jute?
View Quote
I’ve had it for a few years. It’s two different color combos from two different places. Most of the color was bleached out to get rid of the bright colors. Then I spray painted the whole thing. And just beat the crap out of it outside. Let me see if I can figure out where I ordered the jute from.

Edit: here they are.

Ghillie Thread, Mossy Blend https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJBN43I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mrjMAb26J7G2X

Ghillie Suit Thread - Lightweight Synthetic Ghillie Yarn to Build Your Own Ghillie Suit (Woodland Mix) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GRETZ7Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tqjMAbB4AXSYM
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#32]
First Spear also has their Lightweight Assault Ghillie that looks to be a promising option.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ZRXHooligan:
NO CAPES!
View Quote
You have someting agains arm-less garments?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top