Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2017 1:27:29 PM EDT
I have a beautiful Remington 742 woodmaster in 30-06 that I have been shooting more recently.

I keep the internals of this rifle spotless and lubed with Lucas extreme gun oil. As you may know these guns have a reputation for being troublesome. Fortunately the only issue I've had is the ejector working too good and ripping the contact point clean off the rim of a cartridge. This only happened in soft PPU brass. I treat this gun as intended, a few rounds a year to keep zero and loan to my brother on deer season.

My question is does anyone know of a good oil/cleaner that I can wipe down the blue of the rifle. It's starting to look grimy from finger prints. I would say this rifle is still 95% blue with no rust. I just want to keep the blue shiny and not grimy looking.

My grandfather use to always wipe down all of his blued rifles with a mildly damp rag of either wd40 and another oil that I'm not sure of. We never had any issues with the wd40 but after reading I see its not the best thing to use.

If anyone has any suggestion please post or PM me. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Any good quality oil will prevent rust.  Slip 2000, Frog Lube, Rem Oil, etc., all work when applied lightly.  You could degrease the metal with alcohol then apply a layer of polish.  Flitz has several kinds of polish for different purposed and is my presonal favorite.  Something like Mother's Car Polish will work too.  This gives you a protective base layer.  

The problem with 742's and their kin that gives them the nickname "Jam Masters" is not being able to easily and properly clean the chamber.  There is a special brush made just for this task.  I mention this because your extractor issue might indicate you have a gummy/rusty chamber.  That's the number on cause of 742 extraction and feeding issues.  If you're handy take the barrel off and check.  If not, go see a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Froglube is a pretty good anti corrosion lube, but absolutely turns to shit when it gets mixed with any petroleum based stuff.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. More I think about it makes since that the cartridge sticking could cause more force to extract the round. Thus causing it to break the casing.

I do clean it my self, but I have never gone to the extent of taking the barrel off. I'll look into the tools needed and try my hand with it this weekend.

Luckily my rifle has only had that one malfunction of FTE in about 300 rounds I've put down range
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Follow up if anyone is curious.

I found some pre soaked wipes of remington oil that I used to wipe down the exterior of the rifle. Has been working great and keeps the blue smudge free.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have three Rem. 742s and a 740.  .280 Rem., '06 and .308.

They are close to NRA 95%.  I keep a light coat of wax based furniture polish on the exterior and a few drops on synthetic motor oil on the fire control group and rotating bolt.  Clean with good ole Hoppes #9.  I've had the 742s since they were new.  Inherited the 740.

You must keep the chamber clean.  Do that and they are trouble free.  If you don't have the special offset chamber brush, get one.  All the online parts stores, MidwayUSA, Brownells, and such carry them for about $6 or so.  They look like this:

Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Eezox is excellent if you can get some.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top