Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2019 6:36:34 AM EDT
Over the years I have collected a lot of cleaning stuff--and half of it is no longer useful or doesn't quite fit.

Is there one kit (capable of safely cleaning a precision rifle) that does it all rifle, shotgun, pistol, all the way from .22 to 12 gauge?

I want to buy once and cry once, and throw the rest of the piecemeal stuff out (FWIW I already have one Dewey rod).

Thank you ARFCOM Army!
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
you want a one piece rod to clean your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I piece meal what I need as I acquire new firearms and as I wear out brushes and other wear items and keep them in a Plano fishing box with each row being a specific bore size.  It seems that this gets you higher quality pieces and only the pieces you need as opposed to having extras that never get used just laying around and taking up space.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, been away for a bit.  So what brand ?
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 2:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#4]
For precision rifles:
Dewey rod.
Modern Spartan Systems Carbon Destroyer for maintenance cleaning without pulling out copper.
WipeOut foam for moderate cleaning with moderate to complete copper removal.
KG12 or Sweet's for heavy/complete copper removal.
No brushes, I only use jags and patches on precision rifles. If you need a brush, use nylon.
Brass jags or plastic, not steel.
Correctly sized cotton canvas patches.
Bore guide

For defense pistols:
Get one of the little $12 blister pack kits. Simply does not matter at all.

For shotguns:
Get one of the little $12 blister pack kits. Simply does not matter at all. If you have trouble with plastic fouling, that's another issue altogether.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
For precision rifles:
Dewey rod.
Modern Spartan Systems Carbon Destroyer for maintenance cleaning without pulling out copper.
WipeOut foam for moderate cleaning with moderate to complete copper removal.
KG12 or Sweet's for heavy/complete copper removal.
No brushes, I only use jags and patches on precision rifles. If you need a brush, use nylon.
Brass jags or plastic, not steel.
Correctly sized cotton canvas patches.
Bore guide

For defense pistols:
Get one of the little $12 blister pack kits. Simply does not matter at all.

For shotguns:
Get one of the little $12 blister pack kits. Simply does not matter at all. If you have trouble with plastic fouling, that's another issue altogether.
View Quote
This guy gets it.

I'll add that for plastic fouling I had good luck with WD-40 on a patch. Let soak for a while and brush out with more WD-40.

I find bore snakes very convenient for quick cleanings of guns that only got fired a couple times or carried but not fired.

Uncle sam gave me some OTIS kits, and I like them. Very convenient to have all major calibers covered in a pouch the size of 2 dip cans... I wouldn't go cleaning my precision rifles with it unless I had no other option though. It also does not replace a ramrod for bore obstructions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top