Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2017 11:40:27 AM EDT
I am new to the whole long range shooting game, I have finally settled on my rifle and just ordered it (Savage 12 LRP 6.5 creedmoor). Now to my question do I need to break in the barrel? If so, what process is best?

(Sorry if this topic is beating a dead horse)
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO I thing not, just shoot the son of a bitch, it will break in.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Dupe, dead horse, and a search FAIL.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Have tried them all from shoot one and clean to not doing anything and found it doesn't make a difference. A lot is people's superstitions about how it's always been done.

Now what I do with a new rifle is this:

Clean the bore and barrel really good.
Go to range and shoot it and get rifle zeroed.
Bring it home and clean it well again.
Another range trip.
Clean it really good one more time and then clean it when it either gets in inclement weather or groups open.
View Quote
Thanks I'll be sure to do this, sorry for the epic fail on my part
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Kriegers site and get their break in procedure.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Something to think about. Do you know why GA Precision has barrel break in info on their page? Because people kept calling and writing and asking for it so they just posted it so people had what they wanted. Not because they think they need it or even use it.
View Quote
My new AI came with break in instructions for the Bartlein barrels. Do you reckon they provide them for the same reason? Serious question as my mount will be here Friday and I'm headed to the range saturday, rain or shine to try her out!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cccollin545:
I am new to the whole long range shooting game, I have finally settled on my rifle and just ordered it (Savage 12 LRP 6.5 creedmoor). Now to my question do I need to break in the barrel? If so, what process is best?

(Sorry if this topic is beating a dead horse)
View Quote

Not needed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I am glad I came across this post. I have always heard about the shoot a round then clean etc. for the initial break in period. Glad to hear it's just voodoo and thanks for the good advice as always Rob01.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I just shot the barrel and did no break in procedure, and I'm getting less than half inch groups at 100 yards consistently with 140 grain hornady black (cheapest 6.5 ammo)
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Most likely. There is some truth to it in that you are smoothing out the rough throat edges created during chambering but you can do the same thing by doing my method above. No need to shoot and clean after each shot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03PSD:
My new AI came with break in instructions for the Bartlein barrels. Do you reckon they provide them for the same reason? Serious question as my mount will be here Friday and I'm headed to the range saturday, rain or shine to try her out!
Most likely. There is some truth to it in that you are smoothing out the rough throat edges created during chambering but you can do the same thing by doing my method above. No need to shoot and clean after each shot.
There's something more profoundly wrong if your chambering technique is creating burrs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:23:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#14]
Originally Posted By bill3508:
Go to Kriegers site and get their break in procedure.
View Quote
Or Lilja.  Those barrels are already hand lapped.  What you are doing is removing reamer marks in the throat.  That is very beneficial in reducing copper buildup.  Prolongs accuracy before cleaning is needed and makes cleaning easier and faster.  This is not to improve clean bore accuracy.  People are missing the point.  It's about staying accurate longer, reducing copper buildup and easing cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 2:24:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I just had this talk with Brian at Bartlien, here is his opinion on it...

Bartlein Barrels, Sniper's Hide Talks Barrel Break In
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless you're chasing the absolute every bit of accuracy (benchrest type) you don't need to do that type of break in. In the 90's the guys I knew who were shooting for the USAF Hi-Power team did not follow any type of barrel break in. They would shoot a new barrel 20 to 40 rounds at 600 yards to see how they would shoot, and then just clean them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I have mixed emotions about this. If the barrel manufacturer gives you a break in procedure then follow it. If they don't then take it out, warm it up and sight it in.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I did a "proper" break-in procedure ONCE.  It sucked so bad that I have never done it again.  Its a GIANT PIA and takes a long time and basically it sucks balls.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SilencerMan:
I did a "proper" break-in procedure ONCE.  It sucked so bad that I have never done it again.  Its a GIANT PIA and takes a long time and basically it sucks balls.
View Quote
Agree and agree
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#20]
LOL.  At least I'm not the only one who thinks this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I like Bartlein's concept (on their website and the video linked above) to clean until you don't get copper staining on your patches.  I would imagine with a good barrel and good chamber reamer that takes very little (they mention just a few shots, the guy in hat says clean after each of the first two 3-round groups).  If you have a rougher barrel/chamber you may need to do more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top