Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2015 9:15:33 AM EDT
I 've been doing some reading on Applying Camouflage to the human face, but still have some questions. What I"'ve read talks about applying lighter vs darker colors to different parts of the face, ie the nose, forehead, around the eyes, and then applying vertical/ horizontal lines to break up the. Outline further. So here is my scenario, in NE PA, how would you apply camo to your face? What colors, and on what parts of your face?
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:53:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldmikey] [#1]
I use dark brown/black/ green and cover my entire face. Shade is found almost everywhere in nature. Works very well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 3:51:56 AM EDT
[#2]
FM 20-3
Exposed skin reflects light and may draw attention. Even very dark skin, because of natural oils, will reflect light. CCD paint sticks cover these oils and help blend skin with the background. Avoid using oils or insect repellent to soften the paint stick because doing so makes skin shiny and defeats the purpose of CCD paint. Soldiers applying CCD paint should work in pairs and help each other. Self-application may leave gaps, such as behind ears. Use the following technique:
•Paint high, shiny areas (forehead, cheekbones, nose, ears, chin) with a dark color.
•Paint low, shadow areas with a light color.
•Paint exposed skin (back of neck, arms, hands) with an irregular pattern.

We used this method in Drum using just the green and loam USGI stick. It is very effective, remember that the camo wipes off so it has to be reapplied regularly. Most of us used gloves because it wouldn't stay on the hands. For the neck we just rubbed the green on and went back over with the dark color randomly. FYI, don't use the make up during cold weather because it conceals signs of frostbite. A mask is more appropriate in that environment.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
In freezing weather dont use face paint use a head net or something similar instead.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReconB4] [#5]
edit ReconB4
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I would use dark brown, dark green, and light green. Put lighter colors on the darker parts of your face and darker colors on the lighter parts. In other works make your forehead dark and you cheeks and under your eyes light. Any SMCT manual will have this info. They are like 5 bucks

As another poster said don't use it in the cold. I like the sticks much more than the compacts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:
FM 20-3
Exposed skin reflects light and may draw attention. Even very dark skin, because of natural oils, will reflect light. CCD paint sticks cover these oils and help blend skin with the background. Avoid using oils or insect repellent to soften the paint stick because doing so makes skin shiny and defeats the purpose of CCD paint. Soldiers applying CCD paint should work in pairs and help each other. Self-application may leave gaps, such as behind ears. Use the following technique:
•Paint high, shiny areas (forehead, cheekbones, nose, ears, chin) with a dark color.

We used this method in Drum using just the green and loam USGI stick. It is very effective, remember that the camo wipes off so it has to be reapplied regularly. Most of us used gloves because it wouldn't stay on the hands. For the neck we just rubbed the green on and went back over with the dark color randomly. FYI, don't use the make up during cold weather because it conceals signs of frostbite. A mask is more appropriate in that environment.
View Quote

This is what I was taught.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BKC1869:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BKC1869:
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:
FM 20-3

Hell, the first time I did it I literally didn't recognize my own face in a mirror
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#9]
These guys covered it real good but id like to add that if you plan to wear headgear skip puttin camo on your forehead or youll have a hat/helmet full of face paint
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#11]

This was after at least a day of being in the field(3rd day of the event), shooting multiple stages all over the training area, a land nav course you had to run in order to be competitive, and me shooting this stage before my partner.

I think he started off with the British method of dark striped and exposed face in between.  Wore off pretty fast.

At several of the stages, before you begin shooting, the ROs of that stage assess and grade you on fieldcraft skills, equipment list, camouflage, and other requirements for the competition.

I got dinged for not having 3D material on my exposed fore-end of the fluted barrel on my rifle, for example.  I tried to say it was like tree bark with the flutes...
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:56:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deere_John_16] [#12]
We use our "war paint" in the duck blind when its warm enough we don't need a face mask.   Simple green / brown / black and I use a very liberal amount because I'm OCD.   Main intent is to avoid the reflection of the human face and it being out of the ordinary, especially when wearing other camo.

Dark on the high spots, light in the low spots isn't too far off from what is recommended.   Granted I'm not trying to hide from something or someone shooting back at me, but dammit if the duck and geese can't seem to always spot a patch of exposed skin or something just out of the ordinary and flare just out of range!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top