Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2016 9:54:35 PM EDT
So this is going to be my first write up on a class that I have done, so don't be to hard.

Prior to the course they were very helpful online and with texting to make sure we had the proper gear to be set up well for the class.  I brought out my new(to me) Remington 700 police model in .308 with an H&S Precision stock and DBM.  Not sure what the rings are and a Springfield Armory 3-14 Gen. III scope(not the best for the class, but we made it work) and I was shooting Freedom Munitions 175gr BTHP rounds for the class.

So I got to make it out to Accurate Ordinances very first train up day at Gun Site Hills.  Gun Site Hills is a nice range in Lexington, Ga with steel targets out to 725 yards.  There are rows of steel every 100 yards between 200 and 700 yards.  The only downside is that the targets are ranged from the cement shooting benches and not from the prone shooting position about 10 yards in front that they had setup for us.  Not a big deal, but just the way it is.

We started out the day with a safety briefing followed by introductions from Mark, Sean and Brandon and a little bit about their long range precision backgrounds.  After this we checked our zeros with a cold bore shot at our choice of a miniature IPSC target at 100 yards or a 8" gong at 235 yards.  After we checked our cold bore shots we checked our zeros with 3 shots on a paper target followed by 8 shots over a chrono if we needed bullet speed or to verify our bullet speed.  They moved through the group of 13 shooters pretty quickly with getting round data for all of us.  This information was later used to give us our trajectory for the day.

After we got our information needed for the day we got some instruction from Brandon on the proper form for shooting from the prone position.  Being that this was my first time going out and shooting precision long range(200yd+) and that I have no proper training in long range shooting and new to my rifle this was all very helpful.  After we were shown the proper form we split into 2 groups to lay on the line and get into the proper position and our partners and the instructors were coming by to verify that we were not messing up and also critiquing us.

After some dry fire practice in position for everyone they introduced us to ball and dummy drills.  For those that don't know what these are, we had the shooter look away and had their partner loading a ball(live round) or a dummy(preshot) round and let the shooter see any issues with their trigger control and maintaining a proper position in prone.

Next they each took some time for instruction on gear.  Brandon led out with parts of rifles and what works well for them and what is more hype then anything.  Followed up by Mark going over shooting bags and bipod choices.  He also went over different ways to utilize them for a PRS style match.  Last but not least was Sean and he went over optics selection and what all the information means in relation to long range shooting and also how to properly setup your scope both to begin with and also prior to making the shot.

We followed all of this up with getting our ballistics informaiton cards for the day with all of the data that we had collected earlier along with environmentals that they measured while we were at the range.  We were then explained all the information on the cards and lined up to start verifying that our data was good and to find our DOPE.  We put 5 people on the line and engaged 4 targets with two rounds a piece with spotters calling our shots.  During this evolution, I would like to give a shout out to Sean for bearing with me and helping me figure out the conversion from my data to what was available in my BDC style scope and allowed to me to get on with my second shot and get hits on all targets.  This course of fire took us out to 535 yards with our choice of a 12" or 6" gong.

After we shot that course of fire we could grab a quick bite to eat while everyone else shoot the course of fire and could hop on a spotting scope and help to call the shots.  After everyone had shot they went down and cleaned up the targets.  Once the targets were cleaned up we split up into two groups.  My group started out with Brandon and we worked on other shooting positions that would benefit us to know.  We started with a standing position without a sling.  We got a chance to perform dry fire practice in this position then we moved onto a kneeling position and different forms of it.  Once again we got to get in some dry fire practice.  After that we moved on down to a seated position and again some dry fire practice.  After we got our instruction and dry fire practice we once again went hot and sent some rounds from a standing position followed by some ball and dummy drills from standing.  During live fire we were allowed to use slings if we had them, of course I didn't.  After we got done with this course of fire we swapped instructors.

Next up we were working with Mark and Sean and they were going over how to shoot from barricades and use bags to steady both the rifle and the shooter.  We also discussed using a backpack to build a shooting position.  We all got a chance to build our positions for shooting from 3 positions and get some dry fire practice in.  Once we got through everyone we went hot and engaged 2 targets of different distances from 3 positions on a barricade against the clock.

After we got done with this round of fire we were over time so they wrapped up the course and provided critique sheets.  After the course was wrapped up and whoever was leaving had left we were allowed to continue shooting at which point we all started working on the far targets.

I have to say that for this being the first iteration of this class it was very well put together.  The only downside that I have is that it could've been longer, but I also have no complaints at all from the class and learned a ton from the instructors.  It seemed that everyone in the class learned a good amount of stuff and enjoyed the day of shooting.  We had everyone from me never shooting past 200 yards to a few guys that have done multi-day PRS matches before.  

Now for the facts about the course.  The cost of this course was $40(or $43 and some change if you paid online).  I wound up going through 45 rounds and this included some shooting that I did after the class.  This class started promptly at 0830 and concluded about 1630ish, but we were able to stay later to shoot with instructors still watching.

I would definitely recommend this class to anyone that is looking to get into long range shooting and even more so if you are on the edge thinking about trying out PRS matches.  All of the instructors were very knowledgable and were willing to work with everyone to make sure that everyone made some hits and learn a good amount throughout the day.  The student to instructor count was 13-3 and we were broken up to at the most 6 people on the line at anytime and that was usually just for dry fire, most shooting was 4-5 shooters on the line.

I hope that this review was helpful and feel free to ask any questions if you have any.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top