Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2018 2:01:40 PM EDT
I just got my bear skin rug back from the taxidermist, it's got the felt backing on it. How would you hang it on a wall? I don't want to do any damage. I asked the taxidermist, I figured he'd know, but he was was kinda just guessing and said he'd never hung one on a wall like it was a weird idea.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#1]
i uses lotsa little nails, but my wall is wooden
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 2:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: die-tryin] [#2]
Dont just jam nails or screws in the felt backing or the hide itself, itll eventually rip from the weight.

Get a brass kit and use eyelets (lowes/hd/amazon) .

I put them on all corners and anywhere the rug might sag.....

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Every bear rug i ever got back from a taxidermist had the d-rings already installed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
i would definitely hang it with the felt toward the wall. Might look odd the other way.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:18:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lionslayer] [#5]
How I've done it --- Trace a slightly undersize outline of the rug (typically with a border of at least one [maybe more} layer(s) of felt extending beyond the pelt proper) onto a sheet of very light (3/16") plywood or equivalent material, then staple through the felt backing onto the rigid, flat substrate, then use picture hanging hardware to hang the rug as if it were a framed painting, or etc. You may need to tack down odd ends and corners, such as paws, or long tail ends, such as with mountain lions, kangaroos, alligators, velociraptors, etc.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Duct tape FTW!
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#7]
My rugs all have D rings spaced around the edge at appropriate points. I hang them using the little hooks they sell for hanging pictures.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By russell5755:
Every bear rug i ever got back from a taxidermist had the d-rings already installed.
View Quote
This....^^^^^^^^^^
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top