Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2018 1:15:13 PM EDT
This doesn’t have to be species specific to just bass/walleye/pike/etc.

I really like to use a Senko for catching largemouth bass. Before all of my rods were stolen last summer, I used a medium spinning setup with 15lb braid, no leader, and a 3/0 G-lock hook exclusively from March through July. I used color 912, a green watermelon and green pumpkin laminate. I’d have to go to Walmart about three times a month to stock up.

I’m not so good at a Carolina rig or a fluke. I plan on setting up a rod for each of those two techniques so I can learn and gain confidence in them. I plan on going up to Guntersville a few times over the summer after I practice them at a few different lakes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dru] [#1]
I fish senkos.... Red shad... Watermelon red...junebug and sweetpotato pie..

I also fish finesse worms on jig heads... Usually watermelon red and junebug...

Zoom trick worms and centipedes i fish sometimes too..

Depending on which lake I fish determines what I use... I've got five baitcasters set up with for the different lures.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I mostly fish ponds for short periods. I keep a light spinning rig with 6 lb mono and a tan Rebel Crik-Hopper. I flatten the barbs to make it easy to remove the bait size sunfish,  but when the crappies find it, its a lot of fun. If I get no hits in 5 minutes,  l just pack up because they aren't biting. Top water is always fun and the kids have fun with it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
most favorite is throwing a squarebill around cover and brush piles. least favorite would probably be anything finesse. I don't have the patience for it, though it catches fish when everything else isn't working. that includes senkos and the like.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I only target one species. That would be Spotted Bass. My go to for those would be Zoom super flukes. 4" earth toned colors Texas rigged with 000 hooks and very light bullet weights. If working deep fish i go to brighter colors. Work them painfully slow..
.like grandpa is off his thyroid meds slow.  Most strikes are not felt. Just move a bit, watch for line movement during stalls and set on him if he runs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Flysc:
I only target one species. That would be Spotted Bass. My go to for those would be Zoom super flukes. 4" earth toned colors Texas rigged with 000 hooks and very light bullet weights. If working deep fish i go to brighter colors. Work them painfully slow..
.like grandpa is off his thyroid meds slow.  Most strikes are not felt. Just move a bit, watch for line movement during stalls and set on him if he runs.
View Quote
@flysc

Do you put in near Town & Country or Lakeside Landing?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:44:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:
@flysc

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flysc:
@flysc

I've fished both (within the reach of a kayak jaunt).  Had better luck at T&C.  I mainly launch from my brother's place at Collins Bend (free for me) :)
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrRemulak] [#7]
I love top water baits, especially frogs. Spinnerbaits in clear water. Senkos, plastic worms, grubs, and crankbaits. I guess I like it all.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I normally fish plastics....Senkos, shaky head/finesse/trick worm baits, and zoom centipedes.

I started fishing a frog a few weeks back, and caught the biggest bass I've caught in the past few years on it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Our area has been very productive on the flicker shads for walleyes
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:
Our area has been very productive on the flicker shads for walleyes
View Quote
I ran a lot of flicker shads this summer/fall both flatlining shallow and on leadcore in 20'+ for walleyes.  Our cabin lake is clear water, visibility of 10'-12' + on non wind days, so the small flickershads work great mid summer since they still throw off a ton of flash and vibration.  I'm not really happy with how inconsistent they run though, many need tuning right out of the package; but they are a lot cheaper than rapala shad raps which is nice when you break off on a pike.

running shallow crankbaits after dark is one of my favorite methods for open water walleyes.  Second only to spring wader fishing for pre-spawn and spawning walleyes, throwing a jig with a B-Fishn Pulsr or Moxi plastic.  Spring walleyes are aggressive in shallow water and will many times jump and fight like a bass.

I'm not much of a bass fishermen, I like the fight, but they are too easy to catch on our lake.  You can literally catch bass all day long, and it gets boring.  If I do target them, I usually throw a swimbait for largemouth, and husky jerks or rippin raps for smallmouth.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 3:45:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I like to catch pikes using vibrating lures. I can change the depth while casting. Noticed that many times it attracted passive fish even when other people have already tried to catch on the certain area with silicone or lures with lips.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fulminate:
most favorite is throwing a squarebill around cover and brush piles. least favorite would probably be anything finesse. I don't have the patience for it, though it catches fish when everything else isn't working. that includes senkos and the like.
View Quote
This is nearly word for word what I was gong to reply.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Jigs are my favorite.

Ned Rig least favorite.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tornadochaser:

running shallow crankbaits after dark is one of my favorite methods for open water walleyes.  Second only to spring wader fishing for pre-spawn and spawning walleyes, throwing a jig with a B-Fishn Pulsr or Moxi plastic.  Spring walleyes are aggressive in shallow water and will many times jump and fight like a bass..
View Quote
For night time I run smithwick's, they even have a couple of glow-in-the-dark ones that work outstanding
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#15]
My absolute favorite technique to fish is texas rigged(or weightless) plastics.  Seeing that line jump, feeling weight, seeing the line swims sideways...all indications that you're about to set the hook.  Sometimes it's just intuition that there's a fish on the other end.  Plus, with a Texas rig, you can feel if the bottom is sandy, gravel, muck, rocky...you can feel when it falls over a log or pings on the steel of a sunken bridge.  Feeling all this puts you in tune with your lure.

My least favorite technique is cranking.  It's useful, and i do it to find fish, but it's not as enjoyable to me.  Throw, crank, throw, crank...no real technique, you're not in tune with what's going on around your bait, the fish essentially hook themselves.

For pure fun, top water is always great though.  Buzz baits, floating stick baits, frogs....all a lot o fun watching the blow ups.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Most favorite are spinnerbaits. Hard to beat the feeling of a small/large mouth or northern/musky smash one of them. I setup a heavy weight fast action rod with a Shimano Curado K specifically for this application before my most recent fishing trip and caught a ton of fish.

When finesse is in order or the fish are in heavy cover I will usually throw a Texas rigged senko and same bait but weighted for punching pads in warmer weather. The latter is probably my least favorite. I need to work on the technique more and I’ll probably take a better liking to it, but that’s usually my last resort if things are slow so I don’t get a lot of time with it.

As a side note: I recently picked up a Daiwa Tatula LT 3500 spinning reel for finesse and drop shot fishing. It’s badass. Buy one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#17]
2nd the Daiwa Tatula, I got the 1000 size for my trout/bream/crappie rod, and I like it better than my Stradic CI4+. I also have a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) Daiwa Luvias coming from Japan, they are excellent reels, better than Shimano IMO.

Favorite technique is drop-shot plastics, or spybaiting - a tie. Both produced the most and biggest fish for me this summer. Least favorite is trolling - I get bored.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Favorite is topwaters, buzz bait, whopper ploppers, and skipping docks with a swim bait. Pitching and swimming jigs is up there too. Least favorite is worm fishing when the bite is turned off, it's boring as hell.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ydididothis:
Favorite is topwaters, buzz bait, whopper ploppers, and skipping docks with a swim bait. Pitching and swimming jigs is up there too. Least favorite is worm fishing when the bite is turned off, it's boring as hell.
View Quote
I’ve never had any luck with a jig. I have no idea why that is.

I catch some with a craw on a shaky head, just not a jig.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:27:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ydididothis] [#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ydididothis:

I fish a jig about 80% of the time. Usually a black and blue or just black, 3/4 to an ounce with a green pumpkin u vibe speed crawl trailer. The larger size helps punch it through the weeds and grass. The bite will always be on the fall, hook sets are more of a sweep and fast reeling rather than hammering the hook home.
It's a great way to pattern fish.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a love/hate relationship with powerbait for stocked trout streams around here.  I hate using it, but I love how effective it is.  I always start off throwing inline spinners, spoons, small trout worms, etc.  I usually end up soaking a few different colors of powerbait eggs until I find the color they want that day.

This was earlier today.  I found a nice tree to recline on while I let some powerbait sit.  It was a nice change after running up and down the river for 3 hours trying to land a fish.  I had my limit within an hour of setting up here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:32:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dsteelman] [#22]
Topwater, I live for that shit and if at all possible, that’s what I’m doing .

My go to is a rebel super pop r in the green sunfish or baby bass.

Past couple of years the big girls love it when I walk the dog with it. Not a lot of people do that , I see them just pop it once or twice and let it sit .

That works sometimes, but if you’ve got a longer , skinnier popper , which the super pop r is, walk it . This year was five jerks , sometimes it four, sometimes 6-8 , but the instant it stops it’s on .

I like floating worms and senkos in bubblegum pink in the spring. Jerk baits in early spring.

I loathe jig fishing, worming
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Senko is what I fish with 87% of the time.  I always catch bass anytime with the Senko.

I fish it weightless, hooked weedless style with a 3/0 or 4/0 worm hook.

Cast it against the bank and let it ease into the water like a baby snake just entered the water, then just inch it slowly across the bottom, letting it sit still often and do its shimmy.

Otherwise, I'd rather catch them on a Jitterbug, Devil Horse or buzz bait.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I can’t wait to get on the frog bite. I picked up some of the Stanford Boom Boom frogs, one of them is their new popping frog.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Trout
Streams creeks and small rivers

Live minnows, small/medium size threaded through the body with a size 12 Mustad double hook. Size 12 barrel swivel about 14-18" from my loop.
Been using that on my spinning setups since I was 12.

But I might switch to a regular baitholder hook size 6 or 8 with nightcrawlers, maggots, mealworms, shrimp eggs, powerbait, etc.

Occasionally I'll run a trout magnet head on a Berkeley power worm of whatever color happens to be working.
I'll also use beaded spinners I made up

All depending on how the water looks and what type I'm fishing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I really like mepps 1&2 for smaller fish in my pond , and mepps 3-5 for the bass. For some reason I have good luck with them pretty much year round.

My favorite is still my fly rod using a bass popper or a dragon fly in the summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top