Posted: 4/5/2023 10:15:49 PM EDT
Looking for a 3 wt fl rod and reel

Have .308 win, 5.56mm, .300 win mag ammo to trade

Email is best
[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a spare rod I'd be willing to trade,

but check these guys out. I have 2 of their rods, some of the best rods I own. I recommend them to everyone.

https://www.moonshinerods.com/
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I can’t help it..
…for ? Goldfish ?

As someone that has spent some time using 9 &12..lots of 9. and 6 for trout.
With tippets down to 6lb, although usually 10lb.

I understand the finesse part of it but I’m struggling with actual use and targeted species.
A 3wt is going to load up quick and become useless if the wrong species bites.
Help a mostly salt water, larger fish person understand better.

I have caught fish 8-10/1 line ratio. Not on fly though. Conventional down to 4lb test.

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:20:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Number1gun:
I can’t help it..
…for ? Goldfish ?

I understand the finesse part of it but I’m struggling with actual use and targeted species.

I have caught fish 8-10/1 line ratio. Not on fly though. Conventional down to 4lb test.
View Quote

A 3wt rod, usually 7'6" or 8', is the perfect mountain stream rod. You're not catching 10 lb trout out of a mountain stream.

A 3wt makes catching smaller stream trout really fun, enhances the fight. Plus, the rods are small and light, perfect for accurate casts in creeks and streams. Accuracy in casting wins the day, because stream fish are spooky and shy.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: my go-to rod is a 4wt 8'6" by moonshine rods. I can confidently fish almost any stream, creek, or river in CO with that rod. I've landed some REALLY nice fish with it. It also depends on your line taper and leader build. If I want to just muscle fish in, I'll use a spinner rod.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Number1gun] [#4]
I’m just so used to heavy tackle. My mental default is to be ready for SHTF.
I don’t have very much mountain stream experience. The few times I did it I just took a 6/7wt.

Edit: I see the rod lengths are reduced. Got it..trees and bushes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#5]
I’m just so used to heavy tackle. My mental default is to be ready for SHTF.
I don’t have very much mountain stream experience. The few times I did it I just took a 6/7wt.
View Quote

It's different for sure! 6/7wt is a beast of a telephone pole rod for stream fishing. Thinking about casting that all day makes my wrist sore!

I can't even remember the last time I took out my 6wt. Maybe in WY for the Platt River. But there's big boy fish in there.

In fly fishing, my experience, the tackle is half the game. The rest is casting, accuracy, technique, and fighting skill
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 2:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlyBri] [#6]
I have a 4wt 8'6" St. Croix legend ultra with a Teton reel f your interested.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:07:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#7]
Check the EE: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Fly-rods-and-reels-Sage-Winston-Scott-Tibor-Billy-Pate-Able-Teton-Bauer/156-2349792/

There is a nice 2 & 3 wt in there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By latenighthunter:

Email is best
[email protected]
View Quote

Where about in TN are you? I have a 3wt that I am not using that you can have. Unfortunately o don’t have an extra reel for it as I am using the reel on another 3wt I actually fish. The rod is nothing special, it’s an old Cabela’s 3 forks rod. Anyway, if you’re close by you can have it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#9]
For those that believe that light rods are useless except for tiny fish. Here is a one of many pics I have that shows otherwise. The rod pictured here is my old TXL 000wt. I was fishing 4X and it took me no longer to land this brown than it would have on my 5 wt.

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Adder13:
For those that believe that light rods are useless except for tiny fish. Here is a one of many pics I have that shows otherwise. The rod pictured here is my old TXL 000wt. I was fishing 4X and it took me no longer to land this brown than it would have on my 5 wt.

https://i.imgur.com/aGS3pNG.jpg
View Quote

We fished lake Brunner in New Zealand when the Orvis 1 weight first came out. The guide was so proud of it he wouldn’t take the plastic off the grip. We fished the jumping nymph method on cruising brown trout. We did really good on cookie cutter browns that weighed 5 lbs. It was like bonefishing! Tons of fun!
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

We fished lake Brunner in New Zealand when the Orvis 1 weight first came out. The guide was so proud of it he wouldn’t take the plastic off the grip. We fished the jumping nymph method on cruising brown trout. We did really good on cookie cutter browns that weighed 5 lbs. It was like bonefishing! Tons of fun!
View Quote

I remember those old Orvis 1wt rods, I bet it was fun! I had one of their superfine 1wt rods for a while, I preferred my 0wt SPL so I sold it as they both had the same purpose.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By latenighthunter:

Email is best
[email protected]
View Quote

Sent you an email, I don’t need ammo, but I have great success with native brook trout on a $99 rod combo. Most of the streams I fish don’t need a nice rod. Also, they pack down to about 2’, so they are easier to get to the fishing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I have caught small stream trout and large lake run trout.
Sorry but small trout on a small rod is no comparison to large trout on a lager rod like a 8wt.
I have hooked large trout in high fast spring runoff water and the speed and power they show even when your using 10lb test on a 8wt rod can take your breath away.
They peel off line at rate that the only and best course of action is run downstream after them cause they will empty your spool of fly line in a couple of seconds otherwise.
Nothing like that with small stream small trout.

As far as the casting accuracy end of it a light rod is only good for light or very small flies. There is the same accuracy required with large flies (4-8" flies)
when casting at brush/log filled banks. Getting the fly right in a very small opening where the fish are laying makes a big difference on some days.

Its like hunting squirrels with a .22 vs Brown bears with 30-06.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I can’t help it..
…for ? Goldfish ?

View Quote

Would be good for small trout streams where you're not likey to hook up something over 16-18"
Or ok for a farm pond with bluegills
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#15]
3 weight rods will catch some pretty nice fish. I have probably 5 or 6 3 weights of various lengths.

What dictates the better rod weight is much more related to a few things. Namely the size flies you’re throwing, the winds where you fish and the distances to which you’re casting. Ultimately your tippet strength will be the limiting factor on fish size, although finesse comes into play as well. Catching 20”+ size fish can be done with 6x, you just have to learn how to fight them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top