Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2023 1:38:57 PM EDT
Need ideas/help.

My camper is two years old and I've been wanting to spray underneath to help keep rust away, haven't got around to it yet.

I don't think I want to buy a whole bunch of spray cans?

Do have a small air compressor I could hook up to a spray gun.

It's a Grand Design 22mle.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Prep is the most important part.

And if you use the rubberized coating, make damn sure you don’t spray it over rust.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Need to POR-15 it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Do some research on undercoating before doing anything. No rubberized or any coating that gets rock hard like POR-15. They all eventually fail allowing moisture in and ruin whatever you spray it on.

Go with a coating that stays soft and self "heals". Such as Fluid Film or others. This stuff also creeps into areas that you don't spray directly. That way a rock chip or crack doesn't cause a failure.

You can buy a cheap undercoating gun for 100 bucks or less. Buy the Fluid Film or whatever, by the gallon and get to it.

Heck your better off to just spray gear oil or chainsaw bar oil on the rig. Warm it up a bit so it sprays better. Has worked for years for your great grand dad, etc. Then using rubberized or POR.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I use this on my truck and trailers

Cosmoline spray that forms a film that won't wash off, they also have a heavy duty version as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0888RNS9H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I used to swear by fluid film, and I still use it on certain things like wench cables, etc.  But the fluid film eventually washes off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Good info, thanks guys.

My original thought was to spray on fluid film but have never worked with it before.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#6]
There are some mobile companies doing it. Use an oil based only. But after 2 years if you already drove it through salt it may not do a whole lot . Also it will take a lot to wash the underside thoroughly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top