Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2017 12:28:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57]
I have 2 weims .  Good noses, but neither of them like to dive into heavy cover / reeds.  My friends English pointer charges into anything,  you can follow her progress by watching cattails moving, or reeds, or heavy brush.  My weims seem to be happy letting her do that while they work the perimeter.

Wondering what I need to do to get them to work heavy cover?

One is a young dog, 10 month's, she is following my older dog and learning from him.  May have to leave him home a time or 2 and have her work with my buddies pointer.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I have 2 weims .  Good noses, but neither of them like to dive into heavy cover / reeds.  My friends English pointer charges into anything,  you can follow her progress by watching cattails moving, or reeds, or heavy brush.  My weims seem to be happy letting her do that while they work the perimeter.

Wondering what I need to do to get them to work heavy cover?

One is a young dog, 10 month's, she is following my older dog and learning from him.  May have to leave him home a time or 2 and have her work with my buddies pointer.
View Quote
no experience with your breed but have raised a few begals for rabbits over the years. We always walked through the thick of it when training them to teach them where to go. Ymmv and I’m sure others with a lot more experiance will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.

I try to do that - I usually walk through the thickest crud I can manage without flooding my boots.

They follow me every step of the way

Thinking maybe I need to take some treats along and chuck them in the brush, at least until they get the idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top