Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2019 9:53:36 PM EDT
Every summer I pick a goal. Last year was make a good brisket. This summer is to catch a tarpon off my small 16’ boat. Seems like fishing the b4idges would be the easiest way to get that first poon. Does anyone have any tips (on catching them by the bridges or wherever, I just want to catch one and not picky where/how big/etc.).
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#1]
A lot of guys go out to egemont.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
A lot of guys go out to egemont.
View Quote
Thanks for the input... i will check into it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 10:13:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BayEagle] [#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 2:02:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
Yep, I'll hit Egmont, sometimes Anna Maria. Tackle is super easy, I make up a few rigs ahead of time - 400lb swivel, 80lb flouro leader, 6/0 Mustad O'Shaughnessy hook, put a nice pinfish on there and let it drift. I use any of my heavier rods/reels, mostly 30lb braid on the reels.
There is a small artificial reef at the yellow star below.  I fish between there and the island quite a bit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/42280/Screenshot_2019-05-23_at_11_37_26_AM_-_Edited-955280.png
View Quote
Sorry for the late response. Very helpful info. Thank you! I'm in sarasota so will be hitting the Tampa area again, very soon. Tried a spot in Sarasota a few days ago but not much luck.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Not west coast, but how we did it.
Out going tide at night.
Anchor or troll on the non outgoing side.
Maybe 30ft from the shadow line.

Gear..we used everything from fly rods to ultra light set ups with 2lb test

My go to was a 7ft med hvy rod,penn 6500 spinfisher. 12lb test. To a 60 lb mono /florocarbon leader.
Lures only.
Mirror lures actually.
52ms iirc etc  Intermediate white/red.
We would remove the front treble,  pinch all barbs.

Cast behind the shadow line by several feet..start retrieving like your walking a top water lure.
95% of our hits came at the shadow line.
Fish ranged from 3-5ft.
Schools of large lady fish( 36 to 48 inch plus) kept us from being bored..( hence the ultra light set up).

Again this is east coast .
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21] [#6]
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By protus:
Not west coast, but how we did it.
Out going tide at night.
Anchor or troll on the non outgoing side.
Maybe 30ft from the shadow line.

Gear..we used everything from fly rods to ultra light set ups with 2lb test

My go to was a 7ft med hvy rod,penn 6500 spinfisher. 12lb test. To a 60 lb mono /florocarbon leader.
Lures only.
Mirror lures actually.
52ms iirc etc  Intermediate white/red.
We would remove the front treble,  pinch all barbs.

Cast behind the shadow line by several feet..start retrieving like your walking a top water lure.
95% of our hits came at the shadow line.
Fish ranged from 3-5ft.
Schools of large lady fish( 36 to 48 inch plus) kept us from being bored..( hence the ultra light set up).

Again this is east coast .
View Quote

I did this exact same thing on fly rod in the Keys. Just stripped/swung fly right on shadow line of bridge. One to the boat and jumped 3 more
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 11:45:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#8]
Guys I just saw your posts. Thanks much for the great advice. Sad to say I didn't wind up getting a Tarpon last year. Fishing was so limited due to red tide. I'm planning on getting back out there now though. I was out two weekends ago and the Tarpon were out there. We got skunked though.... We were using bait. Got one to bite but it didn't take the hook.

Osprey, is the ramp you mentioned a public ramp? I launched out of Kingfisher ramp a couple weeks ago. It wasn't too bad but it was also 630am when we got there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top