Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

The Family Hog (Page 2 of 5)
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Gypsum will also help break up a hard, clay soil, as well as lower the pH.
I've got a few places where we apply 1 ton per acre, every few years.

But we do lime our pastures occasionally.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Here in CenTex we have pretty heavy clay soil and the gypsum is a lifesaver in the turf business. Little factoid (according to soil and crop science dept. legend) Texas A&M was placed where it was due to the really poor nature of the soils.

The thought process was that the ag school could make the soil work with scientific innovation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Really Nice Feral.  That's gonna be good all the way

I need to get some livestock, prolly be better for me to start with broilers or layers
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]

posted by 96Ag:

The only thing that I'll question is the liming of fields

Yeah, I should have said to get a soil test done first (check with your Cooperative Extension Service, or just buy a kit at a garden center).  When needed, liming fields is usually done in the fall because it takes a few months for it to break down and become available for growth.  The fall timing means it is ready in the spring, just when plant growth takes off and it is needed.

Feral, thanks for posting an update.  LOL on the "fights" over the fresh veggies!
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw a nice post about a guy processing his own hog on another forum.  

Hog Butchering and Smoking

I've learned some good info from Trapperman.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 1:37:35 AM EDT
[#7]
i have a neighbor that used to drive a big rig for the local beer and wine distributor, he'd bring home any unsaleable wine and feed it to his pigs.   They said the meat was really good tasting from it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By walther1978:
Bookmarked for the butchering and canning tutorial.  

+1 and to remind me to call ndenway if i ever get hogs and need advice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#9]
well, we got 4 more to replace the 2 that had their date with destiny.
4 Blue Butts, from a guy who raises show pigs (but nobody shows this time of year), very nice composition, very long.  About 35 lbs each and in a lot better shape than our first set (tutition pigs)
Names:  "iwishiwas", "oscar", "meyer", "weiner"  

The dog is a little confused as to why there are now 4 puppies when there were only 2, but he'll get over it.  

We feed them scraps in addition to their regular stuff.  Pumpkins are almost ready and pigs LOVE pumpkins (pretty much any kind of squash).  And the garden is about to end, so they are about to feast on green tomatos and such.

Link Posted: 9/28/2008 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 9:46:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BozemanMT] [#11]
WE had the hams (huge BTW) and bacon smoked and cured.  (so the ham is already cooked, the smoked bacon is damn good, haven't tried the hams yet).  We had the hams cut in two, because a 18lb ham is just HUGE.  So now it's two 8/9lb hams.  This worked well because most people who bought a half ended up splitting it with someone else, so they each got a ham.

had the chops/steaks cut at 5/8", 4 to a pack. (typical, nothing special)
sausage at 1lb/pack

We had the shoulder left whole.  (because we have a local BBQ place (who gives us our rolls) who said they will let us smoke the shoulder on their smoker---tada pulled pork ).

Bacon #13 (thick), 1lb packages.  (about 6 to 7lbs per half)

We didn't want the hocks/head/liver/heart so they kept that.

Mostly, we didn't know shit, so we let them guide us.  The cut in half hams was genius, but it was luck.  Not sure we'd smoke the bacon next time, but certainly would have it cured.  The smoked ham is going to be phenomenal.  They do this all day every day, they know what's typical.

Including the kill and the mobile fee (their truck came to our place, best $65 I ever spent):  two pigs.  $489
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
Pigs love PUMPKINS (actually any kind of squash)

One guy said, don't break it, they'll push it around adn play with it for a long time until someone breaks it and takes a bite and then BOOM FEEDING FRENZY

and then they start pushing around the bowling ball trying to eat it too.

oh yeah, kiss the grass fence goodbye.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By Feral:
Swine are really a rather remarkable food animal these days. With good feed conversion rates and carcasses that yield ~70% usable material per animal, they're an attractive proposition for the small acreage homestead.

The reason their feed conversion rates are so good is that their feed is primarily grains. They cannot digest cellulose feeds like cows, sheep, goats, etc. so they have to be fed grains etc. Pigs are actually a poor "survival food" (other than for variety) for this reason. The reason pork is often discouraged/banned in many religions goes back to the fact that often times they are fed the same food that humans can eat. Whereas cows on the other hand, can eat things that humans can't digest, therefore, cows etc. convert food that we can't digest into food that we can. Pigs, use up food that we could have digested, and convert it into about 10% (if I'm not mistaken) of that amount of food that we can digest.

I am not shaming your choice of pigs, because I love to eat pigs too. But I just wanted to point that out to you so you know that. In a survival situation, when food is tight, pigs may not be the best converter of feed-stocks on a small acreage because there may not be enough food that they can digest. Sheep, or goats OTOH, may work great for small acreage food-conversion.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jj01] [#16]
mmmmmmm bacon

silence of the lambs piggies.

Anyway, like I was sayin', pork is the fruit of the pigsty. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, pork-kabobs, pork creole, pork gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple pork, lemon pork, coconut pork, pepper pork, pork soup, pork stew, pork salad, pork and potatoes, pork burger, pork sandwich, a bazzillian kinds of pork sausage. That- that's about it.

awsome feral - that sure brings back memories - although our piggies didn't look so pampered clean.......

eta: let me know if you need any help operating that hand crank sausage stuffer.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#17]
oh hell, they will still be "cute" up to about 275lbs or so.

Mine don't waste much, neither did the other set.
They pretty much eat everything.

Maybe they don't like the food?????

I always try to give them treats from the garden or something every day.  Puts a little fat on them. (otherwise they get too lean)

Plus they are so darn cute.  (and too damn smart for their own good)

The pumpkin thing is pretty funny, they roll it around for a day or so and it finally breaks.
boom, feeding frenzy.

and it's prime pumpkin season.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Feral, google the Goschoppen folk festival.  It should not be too far from you, and they usually have a butcher named David Miller (if I remember correctly) from Quakertown, PA come and have a hog butchering display using 1800's and 1900's methods / equipment. It was held August 8 & 9 of this year, but perhaps you could make it next year.

In the past, they have butchered two hogs each day, one using the historical method for each time period.  They shoot and bleed (a cut in the neck to drain blood) the hog out of sight, but everything else is done in front of you.  Your family can sit on the hill 20 or more feet away and watch the whole process.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Good read.

Thanks for the story, pics and everyone for the info.  I had no idea about what was involved with raising pigs.

Is there a lot of shit shoveling to do?  I always thought they were kinda filthy and little crap factories.

John
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I read a lot of this thread and did not see any remarks or warnings about how intelligent pigs are...  My dad kept pigs for years they would get out constantly, always exploiting a weakness in the fence.  When they couldn't find a weakness they would line up and "Freight Train" the fence until it fell.

My Step mother always gave them the left over scraps from dinner.  She always cooked around the same time everyday.  On the days she didn't cook for what ever reason The pigs would start raising hell until my Dad would have to take some type of treat to shut them up. (They had my Dad trained pretty good)

Pigs are amazing time keepers also, if you feed them at the same time on a regular basis they will let you know when you are late.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Well, these hogs ain't getting any smaller. It's safe to say that we're well passed the stage where they're "cute little piggies." That was confirmed today when my son asked "Will the pigs be ready to eat soon?"

A question I have at this point is how much feed wasteage is acceptable or expected? I realize that hogs are not the most fastidious creatures at the feed trough, but these guys seem to make a sport of turning the area around the feeder into a blizzard of feed.

I'm feeding free choice......anything to be done here or is it just par for the course? I'm wondering if they aren't slinging feed because they're bored.......dunno.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/IMG_3179.jpg

man, sooner or later any feed/grain they knock outta the feeder will be rooted out and ate,

first thing my hog does is put his snout under the trough and flip it over, then he roots around the rest of the day for every piece of grain he can find.

I know he must eventualy find all of it, or else the pen would have corn stalks sprouting up
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Tagarooski for dinner pics.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#24]

I'd probably go one step further and suggest that, in a "survival situation," pigs would be a horrible choice for the small homestead seeking a meat animal that can be brought to slaughter with minimal external feed input. But, as long as the feed mill remains open, they remain a good choice for someone with little grass and a willingness to pay the feed bill. I'd rather eat a nice smoked ham than roasted goat in any case (and I'm willing to pay for the privilege though I'll be paying less than most.)

I agree completely, just thought I'd bring that up for anybody considering pigs for survival food. I didn't want the comment about the excellent feed conversion rate to mis-lead anybody. On a lighter note, I would also much rather a good smoke ham as well, and to be honest, I would have to say that I probably eat pork at least every other day. MMMM MMMM Good!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By TaylorWSO:
They can't eat cottonseed unless its been cooked out, thats the only thing that will kill them.

Gossyphol.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#27]

I'm gonna let their feeder run dry this weekend and watch what they do. Maybe that'll give me some insight into this food wasting business.

Pigs just naturally waste food. Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread. Are they tipping the bowl or slopping it out? I will assume they are tipping the bowl. Most people use a heavy cement bowl for pigs for that reason. Pigs just like to push and root things with their noses and tipping the bowl is one thing they really enjoy doing. It is actually instinct to root, for food and to get down in the dirt to keep cool; you can't overcome instinct. Unless the bowl is too heavy, or it is fastened down, they aren't going to stop.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By Templar223:
Is there a lot of shit shoveling to do?  I always thought they were kinda filthy and little crap factories.

Looks like I'll be mucking out their hutch every couple of weeks and giving them some fresh bedding. Took me about half an hour last time I did it.

They seem to dung on one side of the hutch and sleep on the other. They shit everywhere in the pen though and are pretty much shitting constantly.

The pen's big enough that the odor isn't really concentrated......but it's also not hot here anymore. We don't smell them in the house and I can't really smell them unless I'm right at the pen.

Your garden will love you for it, the tomatoes and squash/melons in particular. Dang I wish I could raise some pig, Talked to a friend with some land and he just got absorbed into the city, the horses got grandfathered in but no pigs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 8:21:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Feral] [#32]
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Screw that noise
Get the stuff that goes in their water.

do it about once a month

done
easy

yes, pigs are all muscle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#35]
I dunno, but it seems to work and it's a hell of a lot easier.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jchewie] [#36]
My brother in law raised a hog for me.  I can shoot it and gut it, but I want a butcher to cut it and wrap it in nice white butcher paper packages.  Just because.

The local meat markets are a little bit particular when it comes to customers dropping off their own animals for processing ...

One place wants it skinned.  How hard is it to skin a hog?  Is it like a rabbit (easy), a deer (medium), or a cold squirrel (very hard)?
Is it easier when fresh and warm (like most game animals) or easier when cold (unlike any animal I know)?

Another place wants it cut in half lengthwise if it won't fit on their bandsaw.  I have a hand meat saw that I use on deer.  Is there any chance of making it all the way through the hog?\

Edit - just saw the post on using a sawsall.  If I have to split it that is the way I will go.  
I still would appreciate some thoughts on skinning it myself.

Thanks!
J.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:58:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BenDover] [#37]
Our sow, Oddball, littered last night.

I was a little disappointed in the litter because she only had 7 and one (the last) was stillborn. I am going to AI her again and hopefully she'll do better next time around. She's a great mother with excellent instincts, and she's gentle as can be. She doesn't get riled up when we handle the piglets and make them squeal either. Two barrows that I'll have to cut, and four gilts. I'll feed out the barrows for ourselves and probably sell the four weaners outright.

We were supplementing one scoop of soy meal for her lactation starting about a month prior. We'll step up the soy now she's pigged. Her bags are monsterous!!! I can say with certainty that if you farrow your own pigs, definately supplement with soy meal. It's a bit pricey, but I think we'll see the difference in weight gain while they are nursing. If I can hit the ground running at weaning time with an extra few pounds, it's less feed I have to buy.....

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 10:31:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TaylorWSO] [#40]
Originally Posted By Feral:[/span

No, they aren't tipping anything over. There's a self-feeder wired into the fence. They're slinging feed out of it.

If you get rid of the feeder and decide to "hand feed" you can water down the the feed, into a mush and feed them that way- sticks together better and they don't lose as much when they tip back their heads. Looks like you feeding dry from the pics. I would get rid of the metal pans and get the rubber ones- don't tip as much and don't bend when they get stepped on. The bigger ones work better than the 18"ers. It allows a bigger area for them to "spill"

To get a cheap feeder- get a old tire and turn it inside out- You will need to drill holes and pull it inside out with a come along or hook it to a truck and pull it out. put a piece of plywood in the bottom.

I've never hold them down for shots. Just feed them and when they are at the trough, just hit em in the but with the gun.

looks good and that bacon will tatse great

ETA Just looked at the other pics- If you put a 2x4 on the front of the house they wont track out all the bedding

ETA from reading- if they are routing too much and digging holes- put a ring in their nose. It will keep em from digging holes
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Learned something about pigs though while working in their pen. They've been a little stand-offish.....don't much like being approached from the front. But turn your back on them and do something they can't see and they can't resist checking things out. They were trying to eat my T-shirt and were chewing on my boots while I was putting up that wire.

Yup...

It's love.

I'm seeing Porky's sweet innocent face...

...inside a Ball Mason canning jar...

...with wings. flying away, never to return.

No bacon for you, pal, those swines have got you wrapped around their little cloven hoofies.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:16:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Wow!  Those things have really grown since you started this thread.  Pound for pound I think hogs put on weight quicker than any other farm animal.  Plus nothing goes to waste on a hog.  

Are you planning on keeping us updated through the entire canning process?  Hope so

Great info as usual!

GR
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 7:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: freemanesq] [#47]
Goodness, they look great.  

I'm sure they think you're sweet and since you put up the wind break.  Come January, they'll be thinking, "I'm sure it will be fine.  He's been great to us.  Remember all the food and the day he put up the wind break?  He wouldn't hurt us."  

My daughters and I have had a lot of fun following their progress in this thread.

R.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the update.

Started some 20#ers a few weeks ago, and you can about WATCH them grow!

Going to hold back and try AI'ing a pair of gilts come spring.
Link Posted: 12/8/2008 9:49:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Feral] [#49]
Link Posted: 12/9/2008 1:22:31 AM EDT
[#50]
IM me when it is supper time!
Page / 5
The Family Hog (Page 2 of 5)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top