Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2018 8:54:31 PM EDT
Throwing my line out for help.

A large contingent of family and I will be heading down to Laguna beach toward the end of September.
Call me crazy, but I think I would like to randomly try my hand at surf fishing.... with the crazy part being that I currently have nothing but creek fishing ultra-light gear.

He's my line of thinking.
Pre-buy some line and basic tackle.
Head on down and spend a afternoon looking through the local pawn shops for a Rod and reel setup with Walmart being my backup plan.
Throw it all together and Bam...ready to throw a line into the ocean for the first time.

Couple of things I need help with...basically all the details.
Economical, yet functional recommendations for surf-fishing line, hooks, sinkers, leaders?
What should I look for when I'm hunting a used rig....brands to avoid basically.
Any good youtube recommendations for starting from scratch tourist level help?

Keep in mind this gear might see use 3 -6 days a year so I'm not ready to sink hefty dollars into it yet.

Thank you much for any advice.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I will add that there will be two other guys with some experience surf fishing.
So I should have some help.... but I would like to get enough information and gear where I'm not a total drag to their own fishing experience.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Amazon you self some voodoo shrimp,  I like the pink ones.  They work well in southern NC for flounder, drum, rays
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:16:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garr] [#3]
I have been surf fishing for 50 years, heavily (probably over 100 times per year) fishing for the last 10 years, i'm on long island, it's the main reason I am hesitant to leave this commie state.
There is way to much to begin explaining here, go to www.surftalk.com or any surf fishing website, there is plenty of info out there.
Just be careful, the ocean is a dangerous unforgiving bitch.
And enjoy yourself.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember 10 pounds per oz of sinker for your leader. Or you will have some dangerous snap offs.
Use the smallest hooks you can get by with. I’ve caught a 40# red on a whiting hook.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you have a decent plan for terminal tackle, but save the time and cost and skip the pawnshops, buy a Shakespeare in a decent weight and length from Walmart or Dicks or whatever is local and start fishing. The fish don't know what you are using and the more time you have with a line in the water the better your chances are (at catching).

Have fun, that is the most important part.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:16:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: uxo2] [#6]
Originally Posted By @T1NMAN:
Throwing my line out for help.

Laguna beach toward the end of September.
View Quote
As in Laguna Beach, California?

If so I have a plan for you.

Attachment Attached File

Not a big one but it was yesterdays catch that was sent back to get bigger.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By garr:
I have been surf fishing for 50 years, heavily (probably over 100 times per year) fishing for the last 10 years, i'm on long island, it's the main reason I am hesitant to leave this commie state.
There is way to much to begin explaining here, go to www.surftalk.com or any surf fishing website, there is plenty of info out there.
Just be careful, the ocean is a dangerous unforgiving bitch.
And enjoy yourself.
View Quote
@garr
Moving from East Elmhurst to  Far Rockaway( work related)
Looking into surf fishing around Atlantic Beach, and the info. on the webs is basic as far as gear and tactics.
Any bait shops or tackle shops that are reputable in the area?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Chukar:

@garr
Moving from East Elmhurst to  Far Rockaway( work related)
Looking into surf fishing around Atlantic Beach, and the info. on the webs is basic as far as gear and tactics.
Any bait shops or tackle shops that are reputable in the area?
Thanks
View Quote
I haven't fished that far west in many years, I hardly fish further west than the Suffolk County line. I get my bait in Saltwaters tackle, just east of Robert Moses causway on Montauk Highway, excellent fresh bunker; the closest tackle shop to the Rockaways area i go to is Sea Isle in Freeport for the great selection of rod parts they have in stock.
2 good websites for the sport are noreast.com & surftalk.com, lots of great info on both sites. Tight lines!
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By garr:

I haven't fished that far west in many years, I hardly fish further west than the Suffolk County line. I get my bait in Saltwaters tackle, just east of Robert Moses causway on Montauk Highway, excellent fresh bunker; the closest tackle shop to the Rockaways area i go to is Sea Isle in Freeport for the great selection of rod parts they have in stock.
2 good websites for the sport are noreast.com & surftalk.com, lots of great info on both sites. Tight lines!
View Quote
Thanks, I`ll check them out.
Wife and I where out by Oyster Bay last year, looked promising also (she liked the shopping)
Guess I have to learn tide charts, and seasonal "runs" for different species.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 9:39:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KELBEAST] [#10]
I plan on fishing Dauphin island and fort Morgan with this: 330gti, levelwind removed, magged for casting, upgraded handle, on a 12’ ugly stick 2 piece. I’m not sure what lure/bait I need to be using for redfish and cobia though

I will be replacing the 30 mono with 65 braid pretty soon.

Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:
I plan on fishing Dauphin island and fort Morgan with this: 330gti, levelwind removed, magged for casting, upgraded handle, on a 12' ugly stick 2 piece. I'm not sure what lure/bait I need to be using for redfish and cobia though

I will be replacing the 30 mono with 65 braid pretty soon.

https://i.ibb.co/Gcxs6VT/718-E989-A-1-D09-493-A-BECE-29-B3-FB59505-F.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/1zdkX1W/4-C9-C5-BED-B2-AB-4-E89-AE89-D4-E08-ABE9119.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/NyMhVVM/F441-C546-A479-409-E-ADAA-59643-ED80115.jpg
View Quote
dauphin has great spots all around. The rock jetty's below the fort are a great start.
What Fort Morgan has is DEEP water immediately off shore.
Both places talk with locals!
A little ways from Morgan is Gulf Shores, they have the longest pier in the area....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top