Link Posted: 12/29/2019 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag, for all of the helpful links.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny how this thread has been resurrected almost once every year!

Bill
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a good thread with useful information.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
This thread reminded me that I need to buy a Honda EU2200 and AC small window unit before next hurricane season. I have the gas storage but need the smaller quite generator.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
This thread reminded me that I need to buy a Honda EU2200 and AC small window unit before next hurricane season. I have the gas storage but need the smaller quite generator.
View Quote
@jake-cutter that set up was one of the best purchases I've made. no major power outages since buying!

We did have the AC go out in the summer, and the ability to get one room to a livable temp is fantastic. My AC always breaks on a Sunday so being able to wait till monday (not paying emergency repair rates) paid the damn thing off.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a larger 5500 watt generator and larger portable AC that rolled around during Hurricane Harvey. Worked great, but ar-jedi points out the larger ones are louder and suck too much gas. Sold the large generator to a friend so now been shopping for the Honda. Any dealers out there that have these at a good price similar to the old Wise sales that went out of business? Otherwise, I will wait till the tax free weekend in Texas to get one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
Sold the large generator to a friend so now been shopping for the Honda. Any dealers out there that have these at a good price similar to the old Wise sales that went out of business?
View Quote
i haven't really been paying attention but it appears that the EU2200i is available for around US$1050 from lots of places.

examples
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-2-200-Watt-Super-Quiet-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Inverter-Generator-with-Eco-Throttle-and-Oil-Alert-EU2200i/309137224
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-2200-Watt-120-Volt-Portable-Generator/dp/B079YF1HF6
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200698133_200698133
etc

ps
assuming the EU2200i carb is more or less the same as the EU2000i, here is a handy PDF for you to print out before you need it:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/_ARCHIVED_THREAD____PSA__Service_and_run_your_generators_frequently/17-679145/?page=1#i11614413
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a real good honda generator forum honda generator forum on groups i/o all makes and models
yea I hate to plug the group.
but we do have lots of good free info and help on setups as well as tech tips.
I have been preaching Y3K for the last 20 years now..
Y2k was a bust so Y3k is about infrastructure and other disaster planning.

ice storms and basic storms as well as the cali rolling blackouts...
2019 was a bad year..

lots of things to learn from the guys who went through these events!!
fuel storage is a big thing!!

and having enough for 30 days plus... yea that can be a real problem in some areas if you are in town!!
100 gallons to 400 gallons of gasoline...
all depending on the generator and run time needed..

and then there is the security for your gear!!
basic prepper stuff!!

food, water, good shelter!!
food.. beans and rice keeps well for long term storage if stored in a cool dry place in proper gamma sealed food grade pails with nitrogen gas.

5 to 20 years on them!! but they need to be stored right!!
same on seasonings etc.
lots of store bought survival food out there as well..

water is the big thing!! clean pure water at least 10 gallons per day per person...
yea you can do it for less... but nice to have extra to wash up!!
filtration systems are a good plan.

NBC plan is a good plan!!
hard to go wrong if you keep it in mind!!
that is
nuke
bio
chem
but it can get expensive...

message me if you need generator or power help!!
or join the generator forum
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

i have to confess here –– from a psychological perspective a hot shower "fixes" a lot of things for me.  

that said...

having multiple sources of information was good –– local FM radio, ham radio, and of course our FIOS was still up so while unexpected that was a very-nice-to-have.  in fact i recon'd a bit for gas by listening to the local PD.  curiously, on day 4 or 5 or so, it seemed like the PD was spending more time managing traffic flow through the only open gas stations than doing anything else.  now then, i have to add here that my town is not exactly a crime-ridden ghetto; for the most part the LEO's here deal with car-vs-deer accidents and the occasional wayward goldenretriever named Fluffy.  so while to me it was a defocus of LE to deal with a half mile backup at a gas station, and the fact that some folks were going away unhappy (a gasoline truck –– i now know –– holds 9000 gallons of fuel –– do the math, it's not going to last forever especially when folks are filling their vehicle PLUS a couple of 5 gallon cans for their generator), in my view there were no detrimental effects on the services that the PD provides.  but one thing was for sure, the officers were very attentive to what station was getting gas and when they would open –– they had to plan for this so they were in close contact with the station owners.  so there was quite a bit of radio chit-chat about where the gas would be and who would be covering it when they opened up.  

i was busy.  cleanup took a couple of days and was labor-intensive.  lots of branches, some big and requiring chainsaw work, some small and having to be dragged to the creek or curb.  meanwhile i went to my mom's and starting in there.  the ground was super-saturated, and they was tons of shit in her backyard –– pieces of docks, pallets, and so on.  it just floated in.  oh, and she had a new boat.  isn't possession 9/10ths of the law?  i think if you keep busy you'll worry less, and of course it makes you fatigued so going to sleep is a snap.

it was good to have some comfort food (Chewy Bars, NutriGrain bars, etc) on hand.  when i traveled for the first time to my sister's (about 10 miles) we took a second day pack with spare clothes, food, water, and so on.  the route to get there was a zigzag assortment of avoiding trees, power lines, and of course the added problem of absolutely no working traffic lights.  before cones and temporary stop signs were set up, i stopped at every light –– i didn't want to get T-boned by some idiot.  which brings up another topic... where we live we take it for granted that there are three level 1 trauma centers within a half hour drive.  but, post-storm i could imagine that a) the staffing/expertise level is reduced and b) they have a generally higher volume of patients.  so, for this reason i reminded myself to take it easy –– one errant slip with the chainsaw or similar and it would be a giant problem.

around day 4 or 5 i sat with my wife and we discussed a couple of scenarios –– primarily, could we do this for a month?  how about three months?  what would we do differently?  would it work in july as well as february?  bug out was an option –– her parents live two and half hours west.  although i never considered that, it was in fact an option.  

i will say we also had our frustrations, sometimes with family member and especially with some friends.  i made offers, insisted at times, and was surprised that some folks had trouble with decision-making and planning beyond the next 3 hours.  this is the nature of a stressful situation.  my mom was affected by this as well.  she is sharp for her age, and independent (lives by herself at 74 years), but on the other hand can be argumentative with me about the simplest things.  

mom: "hey, when you come over to your sister's today can you bring me a router?"

me: "what?  a router?  for what?"

mom: "your brother brought my computer from my house to your sister's. now i want to hook my computer up to her internet.  i can't read the text on her iPad thingy, i like my big monitor with the big text. i think i need a router to connect the computer to so i have internet. the text is too small on the iPad."

me: "you don't need a router, you just need a LAN cable to connect your computer to her FIOS router".  

mom: "ok whatever.  can you get me a cable at Radio Shack?

me: "no, i'll just make one up, it will take 5 minutes.  how long do you need the cable to be?"

mom: "how are you going to make it up?  why don't you just go to Radio Shack and get one?  i can't read the text on her iPad."

me: "mom, i do this shit for a living.  tell me how long should the cable be?  5 feet?  25 feet?  50 feet?"

mom: "how can you make a cable?  just go to Radio Shack!  there is no way for me to see the tiny letters on the iPad.  it's too small."

me: MOM ––> 1) RADIO SHACK IS PROBABLY WITHOUT POWER.  2) I HAVE A GIANT REEL OF THE RAW CABLE.  3) I HAVE THE ENDS THAT GO ON THE CABLE.  4) I HAVE THE TOOL TO PUT THE ENDS ON THE CABLE.  NOW, I'M NOT GOING TO RADIO SHACK, WHICH IS PROBABLY NOT OPEN ANYWAY.  SO TELL ME HOW LONG THE CABLE SHOULD BE SO I CAN DO THIS FOR YOU AND DELIVER IT !!!

mom: ok, don't get all huffy.  how long? –– i don't know, about 20 feet?  maybe 25 feet?  do you have that much cable?  is it expensive?  the text on the iPad is so small.

ar-jedi
View Quote

@ar-jedi

Started reading through this thread from your link in my herbicide thread. Excellent info! But this exchange with your mom is without a doubt the best part. Lol. I can absolutely envision having this exact sort of convo with my mom. Hilarious.

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ar-jedi:
things that were inconvenient/awkward:
–– refueling the EU2000i in the dark holding a flashlight in my teeth.
–– "operational overhead" related to the dual generator setup.
–– "tactical" flashlights are useless for 99.9% of illumination needs.  you need a floodlight that lasts for several days, and not 87000 candlepower that lasts a half hour.
–– i should have connected the lights and fan in the master bath to the generator.  
–– my brother had 140 gallons of gas in the 30' boat on blocks in his driveway yet we could not get the siphon going.

ar-jedi

View Quote

Did you ever revisit not being able to siphon gas from the boat?  I’m curious what issues you were running into.  At the beginning of this Covid nonsense this was exactly one of my plans; using the full gas tank from a large boat in my driveway.  Worst case scenario I use the boats fuel pump to pump gas into smaller containers, cars, etc.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 1HI4X:

Did you ever revisit not being able to siphon gas from the boat?  I’m curious what issues you were running into.  At the beginning of this Covid nonsense this was exactly one of my plans; using the full gas tank from a large boat in my driveway.  Worst case scenario I use the boats fuel pump to pump gas into smaller containers, cars, etc.
View Quote

I'd think you could always disconnect one of the fuel lines from the tank.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 1HI4X:
View Quote

the fuel inlet hose routing and/or anti-spill baffling on my brother's boat made it impossible to route the siphon hose into the tank.  
the clear medical-type tubing we were trying to use really wasn't stiff enough, i believe, to wind up where we needed it to be.
perhaps with different tubing we would have more success.  
i have a feeling that the tank/filler baffling in an offshore/saltwater boat like my brother's older Grady White is more complex than a lake boat, FWIW.

eventually we concluded exactly what you suggested above; use the boat's fuel pump to pump it into cans on the ground.  
we had easy access to the top of the fuel tank and the pump via one of the pry-up deck plates, and made a plan from there.

that said, the local gasoline supply -- and the power required to pump it -- returned before we had to use the ad-hoc pumping setup to tap fuel from the boat.

ps
keep in mind that gasoline vapors are heavier than air, and *any* spillage at the tank or pump will result in an explosive gas concentration in the bilges.
so whatever/however you are going to drain the vessel's tank, ensure that there is good bilge ventilation and no sparks.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]
thought I'd pass on this upgrade I made to my bulb/siphon fuel delivery for my two generators.. in an attempt to improve water proofing the system, I put together a snorkel where the siphon tube enters the fuel can, I used  a pair of 1/2"  elbows and a couple short (2 1/2" to 3") sections of 1/2" PVC pipe.... I did not glue the pieces as it made threading the 5/16 fuel hose through much easier...the 1/2" elbow fits snugly on the spout of my plastic fuel cans, and the dip tube is adjusted to the bottom of the can... a short section of 1/2" pipe connects the elbows... the second elbow's  other end pointed down... second short piece of  1/2" adds some length to the snorkel to keep rain from entering....this did away with an exposed side vent hole in the original design... there is enough room in the unit that a separate air vent is not needed

I try not to run the generators in the rain, but for Irma I supplied power to 3 homes to keep the refrigerators up, and the utility trailer pulled behind my lawn mower is not covered
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Back to the top
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I think our friends in NY are about to reexperience 15 inches of snow or at least that is what I'm hearing from my FIL in the Catskills. Expecting to lose power for a little while later tonight and into tomorrow. Good luck to everyone in the path of this storm.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Hopefully we don't get much wind and ice.

The area getting hit has had a lot of wind storms this year, so hopefully a lot of the weak stuff already came down and it will be limited to widowmakers causing limited outages.

But, I stand at the ready to put it all back together....and to make some $$
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#18]
tagarooski, thanks OP!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:20:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jestertoo] [#19]
@ar-jedi , your thread helped me very much in TX this past week. We had a 16hr power outage/snowstorm in January that was a minor wakeup. I had sold my kludgy onan generator a couple of months before and placed an order for an nice inverter gen that had never arrived for some reason and I lost track of. Fixed that late January. Starting 2/11 thru 2/15 were intermittent power outages and then solid outage form 2/15 thru 2/19. Ran generator for almost 96hrs straight (1 oil change, checked gas every 4 or so hours) wired into house furnace. All other food/water/gas/propane/lights/candles/blankets etc were all in good order and we lived in comfort with running hot water. Neighbors froze, had pipes burst, no food and what not.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Bump it up to keep from archives. Thanks ar-jedi and all, informative thread chock-full of great ideas.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#22]
In case anyone didn't know ( I didn't) Harbor Freight has a new 9500 watt inverter generator. They're around $1800.00, which is reasonable I think.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ApacheScout:
In case anyone didn't know ( I didn't) Harbor Freight has a new 9500 watt inverter generator. They're around $1800.00, which is reasonable I think.
View Quote

Just watched the review of this genny and like what I see.

Thanks for posting about it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PresidentJ] [#24]
Finally decided to revisit this thread (and just to bump a good read even after all these years.) I still haven’t invested in a interlock kit based on budget priority, although it is a still to do list. Will just do the plug route or if I decide it’s real bad I would Just stay in my travel trailer. I finally got a nice inverter generator and very happy with it. It is also duel fuel which seems to be the better way to go at least for me. Over time I am going to reduce my gasoline storage from 50 gallons to 20 in order to increase rotation and less chance of fuel going bad on me. In turn will increase store of propane tanks. I am on utility water but I still have a 1k gallon rain barrel to flush toilets or bath if it comes to it. We also have natural gas services so still toying with having a generator/ grill hook up made. Home standby generator not in my budget at this time, plus I can service portable generators myself a lot easier.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By PresidentJ:
Finally decided to revisit this thread (and just to bump a good read even after all these years.) I still haven’t invested in a interlock kit based on budget priority, although it is a still to do list. Will just do the plug route or if I decide it’s real bad I would Just stay in my travel trailer. I finally got a nice inverter generator and very happy with it. It is also duel fuel which seems to be the better way to go at least for me. Over time I am going to reduce my gasoline storage from 50 gallons to 20 in order to increase rotation and less chance of fuel going bad on me. In turn will increase store of propane tanks. I am on utility water but I still have a 1k gallon rain barrel to flush toilets or bath if it comes to it. We also have natural gas services so still toying with having a generator/ grill hook up made. Home standby generator not in my budget at this time, plus I can service portable generators myself a lot easier.
View Quote

Or increase your gasoline storage to 60 gallons and use the Jack Spirko rotation method.
12-5 gallon cans. Monthly dump one in your car and refill.  Constant rotation, never more than a year old.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BBsound:

Or increase your gasoline storage to 60 gallons and use the Jack Spirko rotation method.
12-5 gallon cans. Monthly dump one in your car and refill.  Constant rotation, never more than a year old.
View Quote

I rotate it through my yard machines, same end result.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#27]
With well sealed gas cans I’ve used unleaded gas at least 5 years old in vehicles.  Not recommending it, just saying that it has worked fine.

I generally store in metal, completely sealed, cans that don’t breathe and I use double dose of Sta-Bil when I fill up.

This is normally 93 octane unleaded gas purchased in a 10% ethanol area of DFW.

Generally I try to rotate out at least once every two years.

I think the important part is using gas cans that don’t breathe.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#28]
In for the coming storms.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BBsound:
View Quote

+1.  Another advantage of the Spirko method is that at the gas station you're only filling one can per trip.  This spreads out the hassle factor, and it minimizes the risk of being seen as a hoarder.  I know I've gotten strange, inquisitive looks when I've been filling up 10 cans at one trip.  If you want to be more conservative on the rotation cycle, rotate two 5-gallon cans per month.  Now your supply is never more than 6 months old.

BTW, what was the hive's final consensus on Sta-Bil vs. Sta-Bil Marine vs. PRI gas additives?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 5:39:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#30]
Originally Posted By JimmyFallon:

+1.  Another advantage of the Spirko method is that at the gas station you're only filling one can per trip.  This spreads out the hassle factor, and it minimizes the risk of being seen as a hoarder.  I know I've gotten strange, inquisitive looks when I've been filling up 10 cans at one trip.  If you want to be more conservative on the rotation cycle, rotate two 5-gallon cans per month.  Now your supply is never more than 6 months old.

BTW, what was the hive's final consensus on Sta-Bil vs. Sta-Bil Marine vs. PRI gas additives?
View Quote

I recently set up two cans using Star additive but then I saw the video below.  It appears that having a well sealed can, which I do, is the key to keeping fuel viable and the fuel being pure gas maximizes that viability.

It appears that none of the additives prevent gelling of the fuel when in a vented container.  Pure gas in a vented container won't gel but it does evaporate away lol

Many Brands Tested - Which Ones Worked After 19 Months??
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#31]
That said, my gasoline is the backup to my propane for the dual fuel generator
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I noticed yesterday when I was at Kubota they had a PTO driven generator it was relatively cheap for what you get
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#33]
You're not prepared unless you have headlamps.  Floodlights means you are using power to throw light everywhere, 95% of that illuminated area is of no use to you.  Get some good headlamps.  Keeps you hands free, and a few batteries can last you indefinitely with solar chargers which are portable
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#34]
This man speaks the truth.  I used my head lamp to install my generator hookup in the garage when the power went out for 18hrs a few months ago.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Not sure how I missed this for so long, but thanks for posting this OP, and everyone else who contributed!
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
This man speaks the truth.  I used my head lamp to install my generator hookup in the garage when the power went out for 18hrs a few months ago.
View Quote

Headlamp is great, sometimes. On a summer night outdoors you'll end up with 87 bugs in your eyes. Wearing a ball cap helps some.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Headlamp is great, sometimes. On a summer night outdoors you'll end up with 87 bugs in your eyes. Wearing a ball cap helps some.
View Quote

This is the truth. I learned the hard way this year (not so many flying insects where I'm from)

Click light on, instant swarm in my face=instant regret. Lol
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

This is the truth. I learned the hard way this year (not so many flying insects where I'm from)

Click light on, instant swarm in my face=instant regret. Lol
View Quote

After Ida in 2021, I lost power at the house for about 5 days. I soon realized that middle of the night fuelings were a very bad thing to have to do. The insects that were out and about then would swarm me as I was trying to fill the tiny tank on the inverter. The trick was to develop a way to fuel up at dusk, before the insects came out, and not have to refuel again until after the sun came up. I decided to use the 6-gallon tank on another generator. I ran a fuel line from the big tank to the carb on the inverter. That instantly gave me about 20 hours of run time. I could fuel up around 6:00 pm and not have to worry about it until late morning the next day. I now have a 9 gallon marine tank, which will give me about 30 hours. Not that I would run it that way, but having options is nice. I have several inverters which will allow me to rotate and allow the big inverter to rest daily.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:53:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lasnyder] [#39]
I've posted this before, but if you plumb a "T" into the fuel line between your fuel pump and fuel shut off valve on your inverter you have two fuel pathways... an external female fitting with a plug lets you run off the internal tank, and with the valve shut off you can run an external fuel line to the female fitting with a squeeze bulb primer... my Predator 2200W fuel pump works to draw fuel from a 6 gal fuel can once it is primed... the fuel can is fitted with "snorkel", two 90 degree fittings that fit over the spout and a downward angle to keep rain out... a 3/8" line is snaked thru to the bottom of the fuel can....that way you don't have to hot fuel

my older 3500W Honda belt drive is missing an integral fuel tank, and runs with the same squeeze bulb primed system, but the tank is elevated and use gravity/siphon to supply fuel... just be careful you don't blow the needle and seat with too much line pressure when you prime the line
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Lots and lots of good stuff in this thread!  Since I've moved to FL, a few things have changed. Every gas station I.rural PA had multiple diesel and K1 kerosene pumps.  Gasoline emergencies didn't overwhelm the diesel supply. Here, you have to go looking for a diesel pump and if the station has any, they'll have only one. The truck stops have plenty of diesel, but they shut down everything when they ran out of gas...and I don't have a 275 gallon farm tank.  25 gallons in cans got me thru.  I ran the generator with the Kubota, 2 hours morning and evening, enough for the fridge, water pump, water heater, and microwave for food. Power was out for 5 days with Irma, much of the development got flooded and a lot of folks lost their cars b/c they didn't think of moving them... I have to add that when running under partial load, diesels are far more efficient than gasoline/propane/natural gas rigs.  Diesels don't have a throttle plate blocking the intake, they are controlled by fuel volume alone and careful load management results in very low fuel consumption...
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top