Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2021 9:34:31 PM EDT
A while back I busted a 080-3 SPL fishing for westslope cutts somewhere in Idaho. I sent the old SPL back to Sage June of 2020. After almost a year I received the replacement via FedEx today. Eager to give it a try, I unpacked it, threw on a reel and went out in my backyard to give it a go. It is handy having a creek in the backyard sometimes.

Overall, I am very happy with the rod. I was able to make some nice casts with it. I will always be a fan of the older Sage ultralight rods; however, given how hard they are to come by. I am going to put them away for good and fish the TXL-F. I am very happy with the rod and think I might pick up a few more. Now that I live in the Southeastern US, I cant wait to try it out on some smallmouth creeks! i will naturally also take it with me when I go back and visit Idaho.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice! I have an 8wt Sage I use for reds in the salt water flats along the coast. I've always been amazed at how well a 3 or 5 section rod performs. Maybe that's why they are $1k! Anyway, congrats and the long wait.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TxAthlete42:
Nice! I have an 8wt Sage I use for reds in the salt water flats along the coast. I've always been amazed at how well a 3 or 5 section rod performs. Maybe that's why they are $1k! Anyway, congrats and the long wait.
View Quote

Yeah, I use a 9wt when I go down to FL or for fishing for Chinook out west. Damn, all this talking about fly fishing make me realize that I need to get out and fish.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn that's a long time!  I have an old Sage here that has a broken ring I need to send back.  ugh.
I broke an Orvis rod a while back, and it was an out of production model, so I was kinda hoping I would just get a new model.  Nope.  New tip section back in 2 weeks.  haha, I do love the rod though, so I was happy to have it working that quickly.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:48:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Adder13] [#4]
Originally Posted By pagoda:
Damn that's a long time!  I have an old Sage here that has a broken ring I need to send back.  ugh.
I broke an Orvis rod a while back, and it was an out of production model, so I was kinda hoping I would just get a new model.  Nope.  New tip section back in 2 weeks.  haha, I do love the rod though, so I was happy to have it working that quickly.
View Quote

They said that they had to wait for the graphite to build the TXL-F. This was after they contacted me saying that they couldn’t repair my old SPL because that graphite was no longer available. I suppose I shouldn’t bitch as it did not cost me anything at all. Unlike some other rod companies that charge for their lifetime warranty repairs.

On a positive note, I took it out yesterday to a little trout creek. I was very happy with how the rod cast and the fish on feel.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Good to see they hooked you up, eventually. They have been good on all my repairs.

Been a while since I have even cast a rod. Need to get out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Adder13:

They said that they had to wait for the graphite to build the TXL-F. This was after they contacted me saying that they couldn’t repair my old SPL because that graphite was no longer available. I suppose I shouldn’t bitch as it did not cost me anything at all. Unlike some other rod companies that charge for their lifetime warranty repairs.

On a positive note, I took it out yesterday to a little trout creek. I was very happy with how the rod cast and the fish on feel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pagoda:

That policy has since changed. You got in under the wire as they say. Sage changed the "lifetime warranty" some time ago and depending on what series rod you bought, the newer ones do not have that same policy. The TXL has a serious following.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:

That policy has since changed. You got in under the wire as they say. Sage changed the "lifetime warranty" some time ago and depending on what series rod you bought, the newer ones do not have that same policy. The TXL has a serious following.
View Quote

Thanks for the info! i am wonder if it was replaced because the old SPL falls under the old lifetime warranty. I am not bitching abut the TXL-F as I took it out and it fishes great, I still would rather have my old SPL back though as I prefer it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
Good to see they hooked you up, eventually. They have been good on all my repairs.

Been a while since I have even cast a rod. Need to get out.
View Quote

I have been the same way. I fish still but nowhere as often as I used to.

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Thanks for the info! i am wonder if it was replaced because the old SPL falls under the old lifetime warranty. I am not bitching abut the TXL-F as I took it out and it fishes great, I still would rather have my old SPL back though as I prefer it.
View All Quotes

I think they removed the lifetime warranty mainly due to cost. That is a hell of a liability to carry on their books considering how long that would be. Another reason is, I think, due to material availability in the future. As graphite fly rods change as does their material, having say the old Graphite II material still around 20 plus years later is probably not going to happen.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#10]

I think they removed the lifetime warranty mainly due to cost. That is a hell of a liability to carry on their books considering how long that would be. Another reason is, I think, due to material availability in the future. As graphite fly rods change as does their material, having say the old Graphite II material still around 20 plus years later is probably not going to happen.
View Quote

When I spoke with the rep, he stated that there are is a bit of a grace given with the real old rods. That makes sense as back in the day we had to fill out the card and send it in. Now everything has to be registered online on their site. When I did mine, it only asked for the model and serial number. I wonder if they even bothered to manually cross referenced it with the old cards that were sent in back in the 90s/early 2000s.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#11]

When I spoke with the rep, he stated that there are is a bit of a grace given with the real old rods. That makes sense as back in the day we had to fill out the card and send it in. Now everything has to be registered online on their site. When I did mine, it only asked for the model and serial number. I wonder if they even bothered to manually cross referenced it with the old cards that were sent in back in the 90s/early 2000s.
View Quote

I worked customer service for a fly rod manufacturer at one point. We never looked the old cards up. Would cost more in man hours than it was worth.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Just broke a sage yesterday in Montana but got the fish. Brand new. Tip snapped. Will se how long it takes Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By paulg26:
Just broke a sage yesterday in Montana but got the fish. Brand new. Tip snapped. Will se how long it takes https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138621/20210901_130418_jpg-2076439.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138621/20210902_113612_jpg-2076440.JPG
View Quote

What model Sage? Looks like a Foundation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I still have a Sage 7wt and a 5wt I bought back in 84, broke the tip on the 5wt in Alaska in 89.  When I got back I drove over to their factory and the guy looked at, took the whole rod and disappeared for about 20 min.    Came back with a new top section and said thank for your business.  

Pretty cool.    I also snapped my Loomis Steelhead rod, though the one I broke was no longer available they sent me close a replacement.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 12:48:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: paulg26] [#15]

View Quote

Shadow x
They are already sendinding the replacement piece under waranty
Attachment Attached File

This one broke rod
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Whoo! That's a fine brown!!!

I haven't fished in Montana for a couple of decades - I need to remedy that before I hit my expiration date.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Shadow x
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138621/20210902_113627_jpg-2079067.JPG

This one broke rod
View All Quotes

Shadow x
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138621/20210902_113627_jpg-2079067.JPG

This one broke rod

Shadow X is an Echo rod, not a Sage FYI.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#18]
An update to this, I was out fishing a creek in Southern Kentucky for trout. I brought this rod and my 10.5’ 3wt. Somehow I managed to lose the damn tip section on the TXL-F. I didn’t realize it until I was back at the car. Tried to retrace my steps but couldn’t find it. I guess I need to contact Sage to see how much a new 0wt tip section will cost me.

I still have an old SLT 0wt but I am very hesitant to fish it. As at this point it’s basically irreplaceable if broken. Guess the 10.5’ 3wt will have to be my creek rod for the time being.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top