Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2019 12:31:56 PM EDT
Any problem feeding raw duck or goose heart / liver / gizzards to dogs?  Usually I clean them, soak them in water in the refrigerator for a couple days, simmer them for a while then add them in pieces to dogs meals.  Is there any reason not to just give them raw parts?  Wondering more about parasites, liver flukes, and if there are things that can harm the dogs health.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve done it with no problems.

The gizzards can be very sandy. I try to cut them open and rinse the grit out.

FWIW, I feed raw deer liver and heart too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks - yes I open and clean the gizzards and peel the pads off of of them and scrape all the greenish yellow slime off the inside membrane.

I usually save the livers for me.

I save deer / elk heart but usually not the livers, though I'm told elk liver is quite good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top