Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/5/2008 10:09:40 PM EDT
There's a post in the AR-15 forum about AR's set up for coyotes, so I figured I would do the author a favor and get it started in the Hunting forum.  Also, I want to see some pics of hunting setups cause thats mostly what I use mine for so I need ideas.

I don't have any pics, but my AR is a Bushmaster with a 16" heavy barrel(not a bull barrel) and a collapsible stock.  YHM free float handguard,  RRA 2-stage trigger, Nikon 3-9x40 scope on Warne AR-15 Flat Top QD rings, and a GGG MAD rear sight.  I plan on putting a front gas block with a built-in flip up iron sight (probably a YHM), a Magpul MIAD grip, rail covers, a new stock(Magpul CTR?), new scope, and probably some more random shit.  

Thanks,
 Matt
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is my set -up it is chambered in 7.62x39 and I handload and shoot 125 gr. Nosler balistic tips,with groups of 1 1/2 MOA.

Link Posted: 12/6/2008 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Hutch477:
There's a post in the AR-15 forum about AR's set up for coyotes, so I figured I would do the author a favor and get it started in the Hunting forum.  Also, I want to see some pics of hunting setups cause thats mostly what I use mine for so I need ideas.

I don't have any pics, but my AR is a Bushmaster with a 16" heavy barrel(not a bull barrel) and a collapsible stock.  YHM free float handguard,  RRA 2-stage trigger, Nikon 3-9x40 scope on Warne AR-15 Flat Top QD rings, and a GGG MAD rear sight.  I plan on putting a front gas block with a built-in flip up iron sight (probably a YHM), a Magpul MIAD grip, rail covers, a new stock(Magpul CTR?), new scope, and probably some more random shit.  

Thanks,
 Matt

I started the other one and am new enough that I did not get in to the outdoors section until now.  Good response to it and several pictures.  Thanks for bringing this over here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 2:18:52 AM EDT
[#3]
16" RRA middy upper, Bushy lower with DCM 2 stage trigger, Bushnell Trophy 4-12x42mm scope in an Armalite 1 piece mount, with GGG MAD BUIS. Krylon paint job and this rifle is pure death.

Link Posted: 12/7/2008 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By montanafos:

Thanks,
 Matt

I started the other one and am new enough that I did not get in to the outdoors section until now.  Good response to it and several pictures.  Thanks for bringing this over here.

No problem, I want to see some pictures too.  I use my AR for hunting primarily, but I'm new to predator calling and haven't had much time to do it yet.  I do nothing but bowhunt until I get my deer, which was November(the rut) and now its all duck hunting and a little upland hunting until the end of January.  But after that predator calling is all I do.  I've never actually called in a coyote before but then again I haven't spent much time trying yet.  The land I deer hunt on has a lot of bobcats on it, that's what I want to kill.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a question for you AR owners that hunt.  What kind of sling do you use on your hunting rig?  I was leaning towards the Viking Tactical slings, they look pretty nice but I use my gun for hunting so I don't know if a tactical sling is the best way to go.

Thanks,
 Matt
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#6]
v-tac sling works well
i will post here too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a question for you AR owners that hunt.  What kind of sling do you use on your hunting rig?  I was leaning towards the Viking Tactical slings, they look pretty nice but I use my gun for hunting so I don't know if a tactical sling is the best way to go.

Thanks,
 Matt

Matt,

I've tried quite a few, including all the "tactical" ones, but I found that they just got in the way. So the sling I've been using for the past couple years is a regular nylon web sling mounted on a front sight post side sling adapter and then right back to the A2 stock. This way I can carry it acrossed my chest, on my side, on my back, or over my shoulder without ever changing how it is put on.

Link Posted: 12/7/2008 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]

My one and only AR... My next one will be a dedicated varmint rifle with 20 or 24" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
DPMS upper and lower
JP adjustable trigger
AAC Scar H SD can
Night Force 3.5-15

Link Posted: 12/7/2008 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks,
 Matt

I use the Spec ops mamba sling, its a 3 point but i have it setup as a 2 point right now. it seems easier to use and transition as a 2 point then a 3 piont but i like having the option for long huals out while carrying a dog out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 12:09:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elkoholic] [#11]
Hello BMAX,

I saw a pic of your rifle and have a couple questions...

What scope is that?

What is the rail on the side of your site for?  Tripod?  Is there a tripod that mounts that way?

thanks

Chris (newbie in AR - still waiting for mine!)
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rizzo1318:

Thanks,
 Matt

Matt,

I've tried quite a few, including all the "tactical" ones, but I found that they just got in the way. So the sling I've been using for the past couple years is a regular nylon web sling mounted on a front sight post side sling adapter and then right back to the A2 stock. This way I can carry it acrossed my chest, on my side, on my back, or over my shoulder without ever changing how it is put on.

Rizzo...do you have a pic of your sling to front sight connection?
thanks

Chris
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#13]

This topic should be "tacked" up, as I know it is big help to newbies.....like me.

Initial setup is great help when you see other pics, and can't get needed help!

Link Posted: 1/1/2009 2:19:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#14]
My hunting AR has changed a lot since the beginning - most good hunting ARs do, 'cause you gotta figure out what works!

My first hunting AR - Bushmaster Varminter. Broke it in on this coyote, crappy cellphone pic.

Dressed up with some camo wrap, a Bushnell Trophy scope, and a Harris bipod. A tackdriver, but too front heavy.

Sold the Varminter upper, got an RRA 16" middy upper, dressed it with a smaller scope, a Tactical Tailor sling, and the same camo wrap. A really solid upper.

Added a SOG front sight rail/sling mount. Mounted a Surefire G2 with a pressure pad on the forend. Never used it much, so I took off the light but left the mount because the new web sling worked perfectly with it.

Took off the tape to let her breathe a bit, changed back to the Bushnell Trophy in the Armalite mount.

Decided to take a risk and painted my AR with the super cheap yet effective Krylon method. The paint now has started to wear in a few places, but it's easy to touch-up and looks kinda cool. Also installed a Harris HB5 swivel under the handguards - I still use a Harris bipod sometimes.

I like it the way it is now, but who knows, it could always morph again! UPDATE: New Paint Job - bottom of Page 2
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks alot Dale.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey can you guys give the info on your scope mounts?  I'm looking to put a scope on my flat top and would dig any and all info I can get.

Thanks

Rob
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I use an Armalite 1" mount. I love it, and even if you take it off, you can put it back on with very little change to your zero.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Great info!  Thanks guys.  Crap.....The list of: I needs are pilling up!  
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 1:49:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#21]
Well remember that you can always just start simple. If you already have an AR, use the open sights or a simple scope and go out and do some killing. I sometimes use this AR when I am in thicker brush and will have close encounters, but I have used my open sights out to 300 yards on animals without an issue. Reminds me of the days when I wore camo for a living . . . .

It's a Cavalry Arms carbine, CAA A2 carry handle, SpecOps 2 point sling and buttstock mag pouch. I've got a light mount with a Surefire G2 and a BlackHawk mag coupler in this pic - those are in place for my "goto gun" applications.

Link Posted: 1/2/2009 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#22]
When does the G2 get used?
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 6:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#23]
I use that AR for my "grab and go" rifle, so a light could come in handy then, like when I need to find my dog in a building filled with crazy cannibilistic sub-humans. I also use it when I am shooting rabbits in "low light" conditions. I have a lamp upgrade that makes the G2 output around 270 lumens, and increases run time to 2 hours.
Link Posted: 1/2/2009 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#24]
colt CR6724

Link Posted: 1/3/2009 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Shooting crows......great idea!  I have to look into that here in Az.

Also,  Rizzo..... Is there a mag size limit for Az.....like 5?  Or, for varmits, can we be over 5?

Link Posted: 1/3/2009 2:57:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#26]
elkoholic - 5 round limit here in AZ for centerfire rifles and shotguns.

And shooting crows is fun! I love to call them in and then let 'em have it!

Link Posted: 1/3/2009 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Shawnmt6601:
colt CR6724

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll294/shawnmt6601/Picture502.jpg

I've always wanted to get an owl decoy and surround it with a bunch of crow decoys with an electronic call in the middle.  Should be like fishing in a barrel.

Link Posted: 1/9/2009 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#28]
colt CR6724

I've had one of those 6724's for 8 or more years. Shot it once just to make sure it worked. I guess it's time to get it out. What loads does it like ?
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By XM21Nick:
colt CR6724

I've had one of those 6724's for 8 or more years. Shot it once just to make sure it worked. I guess it's time to get it out. What loads does it like ?

I alwyas just use  varget 24.0 grains and seirra 77 gr HPBTs

dont bother with an owl decoy, just get the  "fighting crows" sound tape or whatever you use, they can not resist it. they get all workrd up and  just dive bomb the caller.

With a caller its shotgun only if you want a lot of action. I like to pick them off from the trees and fields one at a time with the rifle
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#30]
TisforTennessee

Did you do the finish on your rifle?  It is cool!
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#31]

I have a few 5 round mags for hunting, but the 19 round mag looks better in photos.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By XM21Nick:
colt CR6724

I alwyas just use  varget 24.0 grains and seirra 77 gr HPBTs

dont bother with an owl decoy, just get the  "fighting crows" sound tape or whatever you use, they can not resist it. they get all workrd up and  just dive bomb the caller.

With a caller its shotgun only if you want a lot of action. I like to pick them off from the trees and fields one at a time with the rifle

I'm surprised that 1/9 twist barrel will shoot 77 grn bullets.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I havent seen one yet that wouldnt,
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 12:59:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARjunkie223] [#35]
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#36]
colt CR6724

What model Harris is that ?
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Damn I didn't even realize that this post was tacked.  Thanks for whoever did that, it really helps for some of us who are new to hunting or at least hunting with AR's and its nice to get ideas from more experienced hunters.  I'm in the process of modifying my 16" Bushmaster right now, waiting on a CTR stock from Magpul (who knows when it will get here though) and I'm doing all of the furniture and stuff in flat dark earth.  I think I'm probably going to get the VTAC handguard, its all just a matter of getting the money together.  Thanks for posting pics of your guns guy, it is appreciated, and keep them coming if you have more pics you could post.  I'll get some pics of my gun if it ever gets finished (for the time being at least, I imagine that I'll be constantly changing things like Rizzo).
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By txstinkbug:
colt CR6724

I've always wanted to get an owl decoy and surround it with a bunch of crow decoys with an electronic call in the middle.  Should be like fishing in a barrel.

You don't even need decoys and calls, you can use one or the other and it should work well enough.  Once I put a little woodpecker decoy with a spinning wing out in the middle of a field, just laid it down on its side and the crows came flying in and after circling for a few minutes they'd land and I'd pop one.  Then they all took off and flew around and after a few minutes they landed again and we repeated the whole ordeal 4-5 times before they finally flew off for good.  It is actually pretty fun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 7:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elkoholic] [#39]
So an owl decoy would work?

Also...why do they sell coyote decoys?  That one puzzles me ..... do the coyotes relax once they see competition?

Also, to the moderators.... I did see another section in ar15.com had rifle pics for varmiters....could we move those pics to here?  (can't remember where I saw that posting)  
Link Posted: 1/14/2009 8:35:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#40]
Coyote decoys are to encourage coyotes to come in. No, they do not relax - in fact, they generally charge in. Another coyote means competition for food, mating, territory, etc. A problem, however, with coyote decoys and some other large decoys for predators, is that bobcats, foxes, pup coyotes, and some other small predators don't want to come in and fight something bigger than them. Plus they are a pain to carry to a stand.

And yes, as I mentioned in the crow hunting thread, an owl decoy is useful at times because it gets the ravens all fired up about their #1 enemy being on their turf. But you don't need lots of decoys and such to start crow hunting. Just get a regular decoy, or start making some distress noise in a crow area, and BAM you're on your way. Just this morning, after no coyote showed, I drilled one that was just sitting in a cedar tree, cawing and making racket. I think it was hungry - so I fed it 55 grains!
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Rizzo how often do you use a decoy?  And what kind do you usually use?  I always shied away from coyote decoys or anything like that for the reasons you said, but I have been thinking of trying a little rabbit decoy or something.  I have a spinning wing woodpecker that I have used probably half a dozen times and I haven't gotten anything to come in to it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Is this a pic thread?
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 4:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#43]
I use a decoy probably 60% of the time, pretty much anytime I make a stand where there is open terrain and the animals can see the decoy - but in the thick stuff I say forget it. I have used all kinds of decoys from socks to cat toys, but these days I am using the Quiver Critter by Edge. After using my buddy's Predator Sniper Feather Dancer this weekend I'm thinking about going back to a feather because it's just so versatile and lightweight - you can see some pics of that hunt in the Varmint Picture thread. And you can see the new touch-up paint job on my AR, as well - like I said before, my hunting AR is a constantly evolving machine.

ETA: That spinning woodpecker decoy and others like it are damn near second to none - hang on to it!
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By WilsonCQB1911:
Is this a pic thread?

We are trying!  
 (I'm still waiting for my rifle to come in!)

Modirators.....
 there is another varmit rifle pic section in the AR-15 discussion section..... perhaps we could move it here?  (might put a reference in discussion sec)
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#46]
CornDogg, that bad boy needs a Krylon paint job! Don't be scared!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:57:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I know but ahhh, Hard decision to paint it up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Remember, it can always be removed . . . .
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Wouldn't know what to paint it a brush pattern or snow?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#50]
Well don't do snow unless it snows year round! A brush pattern or stripe pattern is probably best - remember, no fine detail 'cause at a long distance it just turns into a blob anyways. What's pleasing to the human doesn't always look good in the outdoors - you're mostly just trying to get the black look off of your rifle, and to break up it's outline. After doing a few camo tests a couple weeks ago, I noticed my coyote rifle was painted a little too light of a green for my general area, so I touched it up a bit, and this dead coyote agrees that it blends better now.

Paint some test objects, even just cardboard pieces, in different patterns and colors and then go out and see how they blend into your environment. I've seen guys and equipment wearing just tan and brown with black stripes disappear into the terrain, and one guy I hunt with wears a faded green poncho and a brown hat and I'm not kidding, I've lost him before!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top