Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2022 11:27:08 PM EDT
We lost our longhair weim to cancer this past spring which left my short-haired weim an only child.  This past week we found out about a 3 year old male that needed to be rehomed.  The story was basically the people just didn't have the time to deal with a high energy dog. So we drove almost 400 Miles round trip yesterday to meet the pup.  I don't know yet if he'll be a hunter, he seems to be alert, observant, and he works his nose pretty good, but I don't think he's had much field training.  Our longhaired weims name was Jaeger, this little man's name is Jäger.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like he settled right in, good looking pup. At 3 years old seems they gave him away about the time he should start calming down.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#2]
He's not very wild at all.  In fact he is quite well behaved.

I think he spent a lot of crate time as a youngster.  Now every day is an adventure.  He's been rafting on the river a couple of times, walks along the river, swimming at the lake and the river (not particularly fond of water, but he can swim), and tent camping.

He's settled in pretty well, he and Rosie (my 5 y/o) are best buddies now.  They play together very well.

Still have to work on the bird hunting.  I haven't seen anything like a point.  I just haven't had time to deal with it.  I have taken him out and thrown bumpers for him and fired some primer only loads around him while throwing them.  No issues yet with the noise - but he's not particularly interested in retrieving.  he is learning from rosie though about searching and retrieving - so theres hope.

His only real issue is reflected lights and shadows - he chases reflected lights like a cat after a laser pointer.  Pretty sure moving shadows must be pounced on too.

If he ends up not being a hunter I can live with it - really just wanted another weim because we like them and because we felt rosie needed a buddy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
They look like two peas in a pod. I'm actually a little jealous, sounds like he has a good life.

I can't pretend I'm a dog trainer even on the internet, but we had a lab growing up, he would wear out your arm playing fetch. I got a new puppy and she picked it up so quick. Possibly a little healthy competition, or just seeing another dogs actions. Most dogs won't give up the ball in the beginning, but she took right to it. Hopefully Rosie shows him the way.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 10:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#4]
Rosie is ball crazy.  I threw a ball for her the other day in a direction she wasn't expecting.  She searched and searched the whole yard (1 acre lot) until she finally scented it and tracked it down.  She'll bring the ball back to throw again until your arm falls off.  Jäger thinks it's best fun to try and steal her ball.

She'll sit on the couch with her ball and hold it out towards him daring him to come get it.  It's hilarious.

Problem is getting him to play ball.  Rosie will tear the doors off the hinges if she thinks your going outside with the ball.  I have to take him to the trap club to play fetch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top