User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2022 12:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: number40Fan]
Coyote Hunting | Daytime | NV | Thermal

Coyote Hunting | 5 More | Thermal

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice videos!  Subscribed.  What rifle you running?
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
One is a Savage and the other an AR-10 and both are .243.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Both scopes have built in sound recording.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
One is a Savage and the other an AR-10 and both are .243.
View Quote

243 is hard on yotes
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Good shooting.
I've been using a .243 for decades and it has never let me down.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Raccoon, Fox, 3 Coyotes | Thermal
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#8]
A few more days of coyote hunting.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for sharing OP.

Seems like an appropriate place to ask instead of a new thread.

Haven’t done more than hang out in the stand with a cheap caller for coyote hunting. No success, they don’t really like to come into the wood lot. The raccoons come in, pretty funny watching them skitter off when you hit them with 1klm of white light at 10yds.

Found a new spot on the property (not mine, just have permissions), 360* corn/field around a small pond (call it 50x100yds). Pond is in a bowl, edge of bowl is about 10-15ft higher than the field edges at the woodline/road. Communal watering hole. Set up a blind on the downwind side for deer, with a 120yd shot to the most heavily trafficked spot where everyone drinks.

The deer tend to travel cockeyed, between two wood lots (I do not have permission to hunt the upwind (S-SW) wood lot). It’s a NE/SW route. Wind blows E-NE. So I’m on the east side of the pond.

The NE corner of the field, is the SE corner of the woodlot I can hunt. That corner is where I can park, so it’s heavily stunk up by human. Coyote and deer tracks in that area still. I can park in another spot, but that has me walking twice as far, through where the animals go.

My first thought was to try a handheld caller in the deer blind. Logic put a stop to that, assuming the coyotes follow typical protocol and circle downwind. They would just sniff me out before I could get a shot.

Second thought, is have a buddy run the call, and if they come in hot, he can just blast them across the pond. If they circle, they’ll present themselves for me hiding in the woodline near the truck. Plenty of dirt and distance to stop an errant projectile from hitting the blind.

To the same effect, use a wireless caller, set up near the pond, and wait back where I normally park

The wind can vary from 5-20mph, normally close to 10mph. It’s nearly constant directionally. Seldom does it whip around until it hits the woodlot.

Thoughts on my planning?

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#12]
It's hard to give any help without seeing the area myself.  But, if you're calling and nothing is showing up, my advice would be to go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]
It's hard to give any help without seeing the area myself.  But, if you're calling and nothing is showing up, my advice would be to go somewhere else.
View Quote

I’ve had them on camera, see the tracks, and can hear them off in the distance.

They either don’t want to come in because my call(ing) sucks, or they’re winding me. Probably both.

I haven’t tried much, just a few times, spread out, so they’re not being pressured by me at least.

I’m sure they also would prefer to go a half mile up wind and shark around the dairy/ranch or go try to munch on some cats and kick dogs at the little village a mile up the road.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FritzTKatt:

I’ve had them on camera, see the tracks, and can hear them off in the distance.

They either don’t want to come in because my call(ing) sucks, or they’re winding me. Probably both.

I haven’t tried much, just a few times, spread out, so they’re not being pressured by me at least.

I’m sure they also would prefer to go a half mile up wind and shark around the dairy/ranch or go try to munch on some cats and kick dogs at the little village a mile up the road.
View Quote

Yep, been there, done that.  It wasn't until I started hunting at night that I was able to finally get coyotes in one particular area, to come into the call.  I knew they were there and were likely being pressured by other hunters.  Picked up my first NV scope and went back with a spotlight (spotlight used to see their eyes, then shut off and used just the scope and IR light) and nailed a couple on the first night.  Been back multiple times since then with great success.

I do have an electronic caller, but I also use mouth calls.  Most of my videos, you won't hear a caller, because I was using the mouth calls.  Now that it is getting cold at night, the electronic is used more.  I'll even sit in my vehicle with the engine running on some nights (engine can be heard in some of the clips) and I'll still get a coyote to show up.  No way that will happen during the day, but at night, they don't seem to care that much.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Yep, been there, done that.  It wasn't until I started hunting at night that I was able to finally get coyotes in one particular area, to come into the call.  I knew they were there and were likely being pressured by other hunters.  Picked up my first NV scope and went back with a spotlight (spotlight used to see their eyes, then shut off and used just the scope and IR light) and nailed a couple on the first night.  Been back multiple times since then with great success.

I do have an electronic caller, but I also use mouth calls.  Most of my videos, you won't hear a caller, because I was using the mouth calls.  Now that it is getting cold at night, the electronic is used more.  I'll even sit in my vehicle with the engine running on some nights (engine can be heard in some of the clips) and I'll still get a coyote to show up.  No way that will happen during the day, but at night, they don't seem to care that much.
View Quote

Interesting.

Ironically, the only time I’ve shot a coyote was during deer gun. The only other time I raised my weapon, was also during deer gun.

The only times I’ve been out specifically for coyote, was at night. I didn’t have NV yet, was set up with white light. I was also in the woods, so plenty to do the job.

I’m not above truck hunting coyote, and it is legal here. Wasn’t planning to hang out in the truck, I don’t want to mess up my windshield with brass.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:47:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: number40Fan] [#16]
Looks like I shot this one on the moon itself.

Don't normally go out on full moon weekends, but did find this one and saw a handful more.

ETA:  I'm laughing my ass off.  Showed my wife this pic.  She said it has to be the biggest coyote ever.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:44:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like I shot this one on the moon itself.

Don't normally go out on full moon weekends, but did find this one and saw a handful more.

https://i.ibb.co/fd8CnQs/Moon.jpg

ETA:  I'm laughing my ass off.  Showed my wife this pic.  She said it has to be the biggest coyote ever.  
View Quote

Nice!  We usually don't have much luck on full moons.  Managed to get 6 tonight, 7 total for the weekend.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:34:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Another weekend of Coyote Hunting.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Didn't want to make a "Short" on YouTube, so a picture will do.

Christmas coyote.

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#20]
New Year's Eve Coyotes | Coyote Hunting | Thermal | Daytime Scope
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome videos and some damn good shots. What load/bullet are you using in the 243?
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Hornady 87 grain V-Max, 45 grains of RE-19.  3150 fps out of a 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Coyote Hunting | Thermal | Pulsar Thermion 2 XP50
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 4:06:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Not enough coyote footage to make a video.  I figured I'd show some cell cam photos from this month.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 3:10:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Coyote Hunting | Start to February
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been helping a friend get up to speed with his thermal scope and I haven't been able to get out as much as usual.  Here are a few from the last couple weeks.

Coyote Hunting | Thermal | Daytime
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Coyote Hunting. Sometimes they take forever to come in.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I really can't believe that in the small area that I have been killing all of these coyotes, they just keep showing up.

More Suppressed Coyote Kills | Coyote Hunting
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Another Weekend of Coyote Hunting.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Coyote Hunting Suppressed with Thermal
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 2:54:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Never Ending Coyotes | Thermal Coyote Hunting
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 3:35:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Suppressed Thermal Coyote Hunting
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 4:17:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 3:08:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 5:31:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Thermal Coyote Hunting - Longer Version
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I think I did this "thing" a favor.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top