Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2019 11:27:19 PM EDT
Hello! I’m a mid westerner that has DIY backpack elk hunted in Idaho a few years now. I love every minute out there and can’t wait to go back. We glassed up a few black bears while elk hunting tex creek area this fall and I’m considering going back this spring to chase my first ever black bear.

My hesitations are that harvest numbers aren’t very high for this area (6-10 each spring). And that I don’t know when throughout the season to go to find them as they are coming out of hibernation. Spring season is mid April to mid June. Is this unit just not hunted much for black bear or are they rare to see? Is there a better OTC unit or part of the state I should be looking at? I have onX and gohunt but just keep coming back the one area I know where I saw some bears, and one seemed damn big.

Any and all help here is much appreciated. Looking at going out this spring on a backpack bear hunt with me and one friend who has never been hunting out west. Would love to show him the beauty of the country and get him hooked on western hunting with a good adventure and the opportunity to see some bears/game.

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top