Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
10/18/2008 5:02:41 AM EDT
I am storing some food in mylar & buckets, my first time...

I opened my bag of 02 absorbers.  I was looking at them trying to figure out whether or not they each were in a wrapper I had to open to activate when my girlfriend called.  She was going on & on for 15 minutes about stuff, & I walked back into the kitchen & I noticed that they were all warm.  So I told her I had to go & I stuffed them in some mason jars & filled them up w/ wheat to displace the air in the jars.  

I am doing two bags per 5 gallon bucket w/ one 1000cc absorber in each bag.  I went ahead & did the first two bags to see.  I sealed them up about seven hours ago & I can tell that they are vacuumed somewhat.  I can see the texture of the wheat grain on the bag, but they are far from being rock hard.  The bags are firm, it does take something more than no effort to make an indention into the side of the bag w/ my thumb but the bags are not rock hard by any means.  

I thought the bags would get so hard that you would have to give them a sharp jab to make a knuckle print.  Do I need to double those absorbers or something to get it right.  I want this stuff to be stable for decades...
10/18/2008 7:08:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Terminus][Edited] [#1]
You should have gotten one of those little pill-like O2 indicator tabets in the package with your absorbers. They are red. If it turns blue there is O2 present. I recommend getting oxygen absorbers from Sorbent Systems they also sell the O2 indicator tablets (see Tell-Tabs ) I am not affiliated with them but have bought alot of stuff from them. Sometimes it takes a day to really "compress" but if it doesn't you might have a pinhole in the mylar. I've had this happen to me.

ETA: Those crimping sealer widgets that lock to seal your opened bag of O2 absorbers come in handy. I've kept opened O2 absorber packages safe that way, they're worth the money if you are like me and always have extras left over.





"Man will ultimately be governed by God or by Tyrants" -- Benjamin Franklin

Psalm 91

10/18/2008 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#2]
2 x 5 gallon bags your what maybe 15 lbs per bag at 1000cc. should by now as i type be rock soild. unless you have a bad seal or bad o2's. like said above there's a indicator pill....it will show you if they were good or not.


12 hours they should be just like a vacum packed brick of coffee. like these ( rice) and yes it should be hard enough that even a punch wont leave dents!
ymmv
you cant eat nylon poser!
10/18/2008 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Alright, my bags look like the bag in protus' picture, but they are not rock solid.  THe hold their shape when you pulle them out of the bucket, but they are a little mushy still.

The package of absorbers did have  a little thing in there that was a red dot, but I didn't get any extra ones to put in my bags as I seal them, course, if I put those in the bag, I couldn't see them.

I guess you use those for when you store left over absorbers?

I'll use two of the absorbers/15lb bag instead of one.  or I'll use never opened 1500 cc ones.  
10/18/2008 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
since your o2 absorbers got warm when exposed to air, it's safe to say they are working.  also, it may take a day or two for them to absorb all of the o2.
10/18/2008 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Note that the vacuum produced by a O2 absorber will never be more then 3 psi, while a true vacuum pack will be 14 psi.  So it will never get as firm as a true vaccum pack
10/19/2008 3:13:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I packed up four buckets w/ 25lbs of rice & 7 lbs of rice in one bag per bucket.  I didn't trust my 1000 cc packets anymore & all I had left was 1500 cc packets so I use two per bucket

Those those sacks had better be rock hard or I'll be pissed.

I'll have to call sorbent again on monday to get some more O2 & I'll try to order some smaller bags too.  

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In